Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Mag Mile-Wacker Dr) Embassy Suites

hotturnip
By hotturnip,
in

I had a difficult time with Priceline on this. Bid there on UMA, RN, and Loop for up to $70 for 4*, $65 for Boutique and 3*, $55 for 2.5*. Hotwire seemed to have lots of availability, though, and hotel rates weren't high. Thanks to your extensive Hotwire info, I was able to figure out that the 3.5* in Mich.Av/Wacker was an Embassy Suites. Hotwire tried to disguise it by leaving off the "Suite" designation, and by dropping the "Full breakfast" amenity in favor of "At least a continental breakfast." :) I note this because earlier on Hotwire was offering a room WITH these amenities in the same zone at $328!! I was thinking about booking it and doing their "double the difference" guarantee, but I was a little worried. When I checked again a few days later, it had gone down to $78 and lost some amenities! But I was still pretty sure. I would probably not have purchased it without having been able to identify it ahead of time, so thank you for providing this useful Hotwire info.

This is the Embassy Suites on State Street, NOT the Lakefront one. I'm very pleased with the hotel and location, even if I did pay more than I'm used to for this trip (I go every year). :) With the breakfast and everything, it's still an excellent value.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm glad we were able to help you book a room that you are happy with.

I'm a bit confused and hope you can clarify two points:

-what are the exact amenities shown before purchase. You can retrieve them by going to Hotwire's home page and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link in the top right corner

-you list the zone as Michigan Ave/Wacker Dr but these are two different zones. Is the correct zone (North Michigan Ave-Water Tower) or (Magnificent Mile-Wacker Dr)

Thanks for clarifying the above and for sharing your information for others to use. I think this is in the MagMile/Wacker zone, and if so, i think there is a very good chance that the $328 hotel you saw a few days ago was the Embassy Suites Lakefront and this hotel is a new one that was shown to you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

RE: zone, yeah, you're right, it's the Magnificent Mile/Wacker Drive. But the Mile IS Michigan Ave., so I probably didn't pay attention to that. It was interesting because I could tell both Embassy Suites were in the same zone.

As far as amenities, they're listed as

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Complimentary Breakfast

Kitchenette

High Speed Internet Access

Business Center

But in fact they also have a pool, and they're also all suites. I believe that the listing at $323 included more amenities, but I'm not sure exactly which. It may have had both Pool and Suite, or just Pool. However, I still believe that the listing was indeed the State property because the Lakefront one's available rates were only $20 more than the State St. property. Also, the $323 conveniently disappeared, to be replaced by this. My theory is that somebody did what I was considering, calling them on their "double the difference" guarantee, thus alerting them to this ridiculous rate overage. But who knows? Anyhow, this is going to work great for me.

• 3 weeks later...

This hotel sounds like exactly what I am looking for. The problem is that what appears to be the Embassy Suites is coming up as $347 for me on Hotwire. On the Embassy Suites website, the room is available for $209. Can anyone tell me what the chances are that Hotwire would give me "double the difference" on this room if I booked it?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What makes you think that they won't? As we don't know all the specifics of your stay, make sure you read all the terms and conditions for Hotwire's DD... the most important of which is that the hotel's rate has to be available to the public and not require membership of some organization (like AAA, Govt, AARP, etc).

Also, there are 2 Embassy Suites hotels in this zone, make sure you are refering to the correct one.

The skeptic in me would think that it's very difficult to cash in on their Double the Difference Guarantee, but in administering this board i have seen that they are very good about honoring legitimate claims.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response. I guess that I am just sceptical too, especially the difference is at least $138. I am also a little concerned that the hotel would not be the correct one. From what I have read here it appears to be the Embassy Suites on State St. It shows up as a 3.5* in the Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive area with the following amenities:

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Complimentary Breakfast

Kitchenette

High Speed Internet Access

Business Center

I will be traveling with my wife and children arriving on May 14 and checking out on May 17. On the Embassy Suites website the standard rate is listed as $209, and I have also see the "best available rate" on Travelocity as $179 with a king bed, and $209 with two double beds.

I guess my original question should have actually been - should I feel confident that the hotel listed on Hotwire is the Embassy Suites on State St, and if it is then should I feel confident that Hotwire would honer their "double the difference" guarantee even for that amount of money?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Bottom line is that it is a risk... and only you can determine if the risk is worth it or not.

There could always be a hotel that we don't know about at which point you'll own an fairly expensive hotel for the 3 nites; on the otherhand i've seen Hotwire pay a claim up to the $1000 maximum.

This property was originally identified here: HOTWIRE CHICAGO EMBASSY SUITES and they too first saw a $328/nite rate and then saw it drop. They mentioned that they thought of the DD Guarantee but it was too much of a risk for them to take.

For me, i would have to know what my alternative property and cost would be in order to help make an informed decision.

Perhaps the rate will eventually drop for your date as well? (reserve a cancellable back-up in the meantime)

Another option is to reserve one nite (or two) and then submit for the Guarantee. Only problem with this is that the Double the Difference Guarantee only allow for one claim per household in a 6 week period... so if all went well you wouldn't be able to purchase the remaining nites and make a second claim. This may also involve booking the remaining nites conventionally or having to change hotels during your stay (if you used Priceilne or Hotwire for the balance of the nites) but at least you wouldn't have so much at stake and 'on the line'.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us updated.

FYI, it was reported in a prior post that the Double the Difference Department (DDD?) doesn't work on weekends (perhaps hotwirecsr and confirm this?) so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back from them within the timeframe they specify.

I would make a few printouts of some of the various sites that have the ES cheaper, just in case there is a rate change by the time Hotwire gets around to looking at your claim.

"Man," Hotwire recently promised to credit me $812 on a double-the-difference guarantee for one night in New Orleans. I'll actually be making lots of money off the deal. I don't know how they can allow these bizarre glitches in their system.

It did take over 3 days to get the response from them.

So I guess I'll see you there?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]