Does Priceline give you 1hr. to Accept?

CAB99338
By CAB99338,
in

I've never used Priceline or Hotwire, but am about to, as it sounds like a great deal for the cities I frequent....Spokane & Seattle, WA. I was reading on another forum that Priceline actually gives you 1 hour to accept their offer, and my credit card won't be charged unless I do accept. Here's the exact message:

yes, I have used priceline and you can get very good deals.  Its kinda tricky because it looks like your going to buy the ticket before you actually do.  when it says purchase tickets now, you hit accept, and then it will look for prices for you and when they do find a fare that is exceptable to you , it will tell you , you have 1 hour to accept the fare.  if you want the fare at that time then it has a place for you to hit accept or purchase tickets cant remember what the accepting words are but once you have used it once its very easy. your lucky I went in blind and it came out great.

Is this true? The Priceline site had me thinking that as soon as I enter my "offer", if any hotel accepts it, I am automatically charged, and then told where my reservation has been made.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think what your friend means is this:

Priceline offers a counteroffer for airline tickets in many cases. This counteroffer expires after one hour.

Maybe your friend has only gotten counteroffers.

However, it's also very likely that Priceline will accept your bid and charge your card right away, and you will *NOT* be able to change your mind.

For hotels, three things can happen:

1) You get your bid accepted. Your card is charged right away and you cannot change your mind.

2) You get your bid rejected. Then you have to change your bid in some way or wait 72 hours to bid again.

3) You get a counteroffer. I don't think these hotel counteroffers have a specific time limit, but there is no guarantee they will be accepted (although it's very likely). You can read on this board for strategies to undercut a counteroffer.

You are correct (and not the post you provided) in that if Priceline can find an airline to accept your price you then own the tickets (with no opportunity to back out).

Whoever wrote the above may have confused Priceline with Hotwire, as Hotwire will show you a price for your itinerary and then give you up to 2 hours to decide if you want to purchase it.

WillTravel also makes an excellent point that maybe the user is refering to airfare counter-offers, but i don't have first hand knowlege of them so i can't say for certain. However, by clicking 'the button' i would be prepared to pay the price i offered as you could very well end up owning tickets!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your replies. I am only using the service for Hotel stay right now. Seemed too good to be true of having an "accept" option, after I agreed to the purchase based on my offer! I'm excited to make my first Hotel reservation on Priceline, and just wanted a better understanding before doing so.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]