Priceline Hotel: Resort Tucson (La Paloma-Ventana Canyon) Loews Ventana Canyon Resort

Lands
By Lands,
in

Hi all,

I'm taking a trip in a few weeks and this site is awesome. Going to save me some serious money I think. :) I've been lurking for a few weeks and am finally up to speed enough to make a move, so I could use your help.

I'm considering a few options.

#1: Great price on a nice property. The Doubletree at Reid Park looks like it fits that bill, and it MAY be going for around $55 (based on what I've found on this board) Here are the details:

5-31

3-star hotel in Central Tucson

$55 per night (best value)

Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant(s), Business Center

This looks like something mentioned in a post as the Doubletree (although that post mentioned it was a customer favorite and what I see is not). What do you think? I'd like to be pretty confident that it's the one. I searched other random dates and only 1 3*** hotel comes up in Central Tucson, so it looks consistant.

#2: Spend a little more for a resort/4****. Looks like the cheapest the resorts go for is $80 (via priceline). If there's a chance I can get a resort for less than $80 maybe I'd try.

Thanks for the advice. Any other option to consider. My main concerns are clean, comfortable and safe. I'll use the BB links when I buy.

Thanks for the time and take care,

Lands

Welcome to BetterBidding!

In HOTWIRE's Tucson (Central) zone the Four Points has the same amenity combination and star rating as the Doubletree... so it could be either of those (or some other 3* hotel with that same exact amenity combination).

If you try for a Resort, i assume your'e looking at bidding the Tucson (North) zone? Any other zones acceptable to you?

This is just for a one nite stay 5/31? If so, and the North zone is acceptable, i do think you have a good chance at a resort within your budget.

Let us know the above and if you want to try for a resort (and of so, which zones to include) and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried to answer your questions below.

In HOTWIRE's Tucson (Central) zone the Four Points has the same amenity combination and star rating as the Doubletree... so it could be either of those (or some other 3* hotel with that same exact amenity combination).

Damn, I see what you mean now. I was hoping it would only be a match for the Doubletree, and it looks like the Four Points gets a lot of "dirty" ratings.

Is the "customer favorite" always tagged as such? If so, I'm worried it's not the Doubletree. Funny thing is, I searched 8 random other dates for that zone and never saw a 3*** "Customer Favorite" listed. There is always one listed at $49-55. Hmmm...

If you try for a Resort, i assume your'e looking at bidding the Tucson (North) zone? Any other zones acceptable to you? This is just for a one nite stay 5/31? If so, and the North zone is acceptable, i do think you have a good chance at a resort within your budget.

Let us know the above and if you want to try for a resort (and of so, which zones to include) and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

I am only staying one night. No zones restrictions, as long as the hotel is not much more than 15-20 minutes from the 10fwy. Another "close to certain identity" 3*** would be ok, but it don't see any others near that price.

I see that there are 3 resorts listed in the North zone that you mentioned. How low you think I could snag one from Priceline?

Thanks again!

Customer favorite designations come and go... we've even seen the same property have a Customer Favorite designation on one search and then not for the same exact search.

If $80 is your maximum bid for a resort we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Is the North zone the only zone you're willing to accept? (the Central and LaPaloma zones have resort bidding available as well) I don't know the area more than looking at a map, could you accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded region of the zone(s) you select?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good info about the Customer Favorite designation.

Yes - $80 is my max for the resort. Central is ok. I don't see LaPaloma zone (maybe it's called something else). The only issue I would have would be if the resort was in a bad area (which I'm assuming isn't an issue by the nature of it.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

The only issue I would have would be if the resort was in a bad area
could you accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded region of the zone(s) you select?

You can use the previously reported hotels as a guide, but you have to accept some risk if you're going to use the opaque providers. The substantial discounts we usually see is in exchange for being flexible in the hotel you will receive.

This is a one nite stay so a perfect opportunity to give it a try, but you have to be willing to accept the conditions that are laid out and understand what you do and don't have control over. You pick the price, minimum star rating, and zone(s) you're willing to accept... if priceline can make a match you then own the room for the nite. You can't stipulate "10 minutes to Hwy10" or "within the zone but not in a bad area". See I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire for more info.

Since HOTWIRE is not showing anything within the price range, the only chance you have at a Resort class hotel for under $80 is thru Priceline... is that where you're looking to see the LaPaloma zone? (full name is La Paloma - Ventana Canyon)

I understand what you're saying, and I understand that angle of Hotwire and Priceline. This is a good chance to try it out too since it's just a single night stay.

Sorry - for the map I was looking at Hotwire. I see those areas now on Priceline. So the answer is yes, I'm ok with any of the 3 areas that have resorts (La Paloma, North and Central).

I did a bit of research on the resorts in Tucson. Not sure it will be of any help, but I got a good overview of what I might be looking at. All look quite nice. I also got what Expedia's rates were for all the resorts I found for that date. Here's my quick notes just incase it helps.

Tucson Resorts

Tucson (Central)

? (it shows a resort option, but I can't figure out the name(s)

Tucson (La Paloma - Ventana Canyon)

Resort Lowes Ventanya Canyon - Moderate to good reviews (sold out - $179 a few nights before my date)

Resort Westin La Paloma - Good reviews ($179expedia)

Tucson (North)

Resort Hilton El Conquistador - reviews fairly good but say service isn't very good ($139expedia)

Resort Omni Golf Resort and Spa - almost all reviews quite good ($129expedia)

Resort Westward Look - reviews say nice grounds but a bit older. Western theme decor. ($149expedia)

When bidding Resorts in Tucson you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select Resort and North zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort and Central zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort and La Paloma...

Select Resort and North and Central...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort and North and La Paloma...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add Central and...

Bid $80.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. I finally worked out all the details of my trip and was able to use Priceline. It worked great.

I'm staying one night. For $65, I got the: Loews Ventana Canyon Resort

I used the Savingsbarn.com link to make the reservation. Thanks for the help. I may ask for help with a few more cities, but even if I don't, I'll use the SavingsBarn PRICELINE link.

I'll report back after my stay. Thanks again.

Congratualtion on your win!

Glad to hear of your success and that the board was able to help.

Thank you for sharing your win with the rest of us and for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

If you don't ask for help with your future travel plans (although you're more than welcome to) please do remember to post your results on the board so that the information can be helpful to others.

Have a great stay at the Loews.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]