Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

daffyd
By daffyd,
in

Hello,

I'm working on the 'missing link' in my trip at the moment and wondering about the option of staying in Jersey City to visit New York. I note good reviews of the 3* properties in Jersey City and successful bids on Priceline last August for under $100 per night. I'm looking at August 19-22 (three nights).

However, at the moment the rates quoted through non-opaque options are around the $300 per night mark which makes it seem unlikely that $100 per night will be successful. Does availability around NJ/NY usually improve closer to the time as places try to fill empty rooms or is this year somehow different, price-wise?

In the meantime, I've booked (cancellable through your Quikbook link) The Bentley Hotel for $139 per night for the nights of August 20, 21 in the expectation that I'll be able to find something around Newark Airport for the first night (we get in around midnight so don't want to have to go too far). But I'd be happy to cancel that if we could find something near a frequent-running PATH station for all three nights (which would also be not-too-far from Newark, right?)

I've also read some promising reviews of the Holland Motor Lodge. It claims to be 400 yards from a PATH station but I haven't been able to confirm on a map (Holland Tunnel Plaza Eastbound). Can anyone more familiar with the area confirm that it's close to a desirable station (ie. one which runs 24 hours to NY - Journal Square?)

Should I wait and keep looking for indications that I may be able to get a better deal on Priceline? Or are things just likely to be tight this year? We won't have a car and I'd just like to avoid having to walk too far to get to the PATH/subway as New York was hot&humid when I was there in June a couple of years ago and I don't think August will be better.

Any advice appreciated, particularly from those with more experience in the Jersey City area than I.

Thanks,

David.

I've also read some promising reviews of the Holland Motor Lodge. It claims to be 400 yards from a PATH station but I haven't been able to confirm on a map (Holland Tunnel Plaza Eastbound). Can anyone more familiar with the area confirm that it's close to a desirable station (ie. one which runs 24 hours to NY - Journal Square?)
You don't want to stay here.

You have a back-up and rates in NYC in the summer are usually some of the most inexpensive of the year, i'd continue to wait it out and try priceline.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks very much, I'll hold off until the deals get better.

Incidentally, while browsing EasyClickTravel for a Newark backup, I came across an off the unidentified off the record property (it doesn't seem to come up when I paste this url into my browser but it is there when I search for Newark NJ, Aug 19, 2 people):

<removed by thereuare>

EDIT by Thereuare: for help with unidentified EasyClickTravel Off the Record hotels please follow the instructions on the page and email us the requested information.

• 1 month later...

Periodic attempts at 3* Jersey City, Aug 19-22.

$70 rejected

rebid $75 rejected

Prices still seem high at this stage for both Jersey City and Manhattan (eg: hotwire 4* jersey city around the $260 mark). Can any hints from history suggest when prices may come down?

Regards,

David.

What is your minimum star rating and maximum budget to stay in NYC?

The hotel market has increase strongly over the last few years so in many instances we're seeing a trend of higher rates year over year. As well, the US dollar has been weak lately, so there has been an increase in overseas tourists coming to large cities in the US, putting further pressure on already tight demand (and an increase in prices as well)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My cancellable booking (only for Aug 20-22nd as we arrive at Newark Airport late on Sunday night so may just stay near the airport) is $139 for The Bentley (booked through your Quikbook link). Thus I would not wish to spend more than this and would prefer to spend closer to the $100 mark if possible under this year's market conditions.

In terms of minimum star rating, we have little need for particular amenities other than:

- Basic cleanliness

- Air Conditioning

- 2 beds or bed + sofa at least

- Convenient to subway/PATH

Thus bidding on priceline for Manhattan is unlikely to be successful, from my understanding, for 3* or less due to the desire not to get too 'friendly' with my travelling companion! I'd usually sublet a room/ apartment but that's less likely to be successful when travelling with someone.

I've been to New York a few times now and stayed on the UES, UWS and in the village so don't need to be near times square or anything like that. As long as we're near a subway (or PATH for Jersey City) we'll be fine.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

In terms of minimum star rating, we have little need for particular amenities other than:

- Basic cleanliness

- Air Conditioning

- 2 beds or bed + sofa at least

- Convenient to subway/PATH

Due to the requirement for needing two beds i'm not sure if Priceline will be the way to go for this stay... although i also question whether you'll find anything within your budget without it. You coudl try HOTWIRE, searching for 3 occupants (2adults/1child) but doing so will probably take you out of your price range as well.

The "best" hotwire seems able to offer less than $139 at the moment is 2.5-star hotel in Hoboken - Jersey City for $105pn. I think a combination of a cheap airport hotel on the 19th and my existing backup is likely to prove better than this. Bunks at "The Pod" in Manhattan sounds better than random cheap NJ hotel! (though my one stay in a random hotel in NJ was a perfectly fine Best Western in Rockaway, NJ)

Unless summer prices drop closer to the time, I doubt know if I'll find anything better either. I guess my question is, is it likely that Priceline Jersey City 3* will drop below $140 for my dates? Or is what I have as good as I'm likely to get in that price range?

Regards,

David.

No - I have no intention of booking it. I was trying to get across that Hotwire currently has no options better than my backup.

My best options seem to be:

If I can get a Priceline Jersey City 3* (Doubletree Club, Hyatt Regency seen historically) well under $140 for my dates then that may be worthwhile.

Otherwise my existing booked backup for $139.

At this stage I'm trying to get an idea of the likelihood of being able to get the former. New York is cheaper in the summer but there seem to be few bargains so far this year.

Regards,

David.

Tried $80, rebid $85 with no success. No surprise but I thought I might as well inch my way up a little towards $100 at least.

I'm reading good reviews of the tiny "The Pod" in Manhattan. It's certainly no 4* but seems to satisfy my criteria (though I'd have to decide how big a problem the potential for noise is). I know lower-end properties aren't really the specialty of this site but if anyone has stayed there I'd love to hear about it. Quikbook has it cancellable for $99 with a bunk for 2 people.

Regards,

David.

I'm not sure what a W Hotel is like but I presume their furniture comes from Ikea :)

For Jersey City 3*

Bid $90 rejected

Rebid $95 rejected

Just wondering, if you'll indulge me thereuare, if you wanted to stay in a hotel near/in Manhattan on my dates how much would you plan to spend? And what would you expect from that expenditure?

Regards,

David.

I would bid up to $115 for a 3* in midtown for all three nites (we can suggest a strategy if you want to try this).

If that was rejected, HOTWIRE has a 3* in Times Square for $119/nite (most likely the Paramount our the Crowne Plaza... Parmount has a very good location but notoriously small rooms). YOu're already at the point where i don't think it's worthwhile to continue bidding higher for Jersey City... it's a great spot when you can save $50/nite, but for $25/nite i'd prefer to stay directly in the city.

If you do purchase the above please use our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Let us know your thoughts.

Thankyou for the insight. Appreciated.

Unfortunately, the need for two beds will be an issue with these options. Priceline I fear there is little chance of >1 bed. If I search for 2 adults and 1 child on hotwire the cheapest low-risk option that comes up is 3-star hotel in Midtown South $159 (amenities match those of the Holiday Inn Express). My backup is cheaper (though likely to be slightly further from a subway).

The Jersey City 3* seem a bit safer given this constraint. But not if they're going to cost more than Manhattan!

Thanks again for your thoughts,

David.

I didn't re-read the thread to see that you had triple occupancy (assuming it's mentioned previously), in that case, the above would not be an option i'd recommend since the Paramount is one of a few hotels that would not be able to accomodate the three of you in a standard room.

• 1 month later...

Just to update my post, I first booked for all three nights (19-22 August) at The Pod as a backup closer to transport.

A short time ago this evening I was browsing hotwire and saw they had 4* Jersey City for $99 for my dates. Loading priceline through savingsbarn.com I bid $75 for 3* Jersey City and was immediately accepted:

Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson 3-star

Jersey City

2 Exchange Place

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

'though I might have been able to start lower, after seeing it 'round the $260 per night mark on hotwire for the past couple of months I'm pretty pleased. Now to cancel my backups. Thanks for your advice. I guess sometimes persistance pays off.

Regards,

David.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]