Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Marriott

daffyd
By daffyd,
in

Hello,

We have an unexpected two night stopover in San Francisco during August.

I've seen the activities thread below which already gives me a few ideas but I have no idea which areas are worth considering for accommodation. We won't have a car (no parking needed but close to public transport would be useful), don't need anything especially luxurious and would prefer somewhere likely to have two beds (even a rollaway second).

Is it worth bidding/risking Priceline/Hotwire? I've only had good experiences with Priceline to date but don't know what the market is like in SF. Is August likely to be a difficult month?

Thanks for any advice,

David.

Since you have such a clear preference for two beds I don't think you should use Priceline for this. Too much chance of getting a room with one bed, especially Downtown, which is where most tourists prefer to stay.

Look at Hotwire. Even if your party is is only two, enter your party as "3 adults". Hotwire will only show you options with two beds then. Do you see anything interesting on Hotwire for your dates?

Hotwire is not looking hugely impressive - probably due to the popular time of year?

A couple of non-oblique options with safe-sounding reviews I've found so far at the top end of my price-range:

Grant Plaza: $84 per night with 2 beds

Halcyon: $89 per night with 2 beds

The only cheaper option on hotwire is " 1-star hotel in Nob Hill Area" for $63 per night. Nothing in their 'packages' this low star to compare to.

Am I likely to find anything better or cheaper?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Regards,

David.

On a whim, I bid $80 tonight for a 4* USE

Got the "can immediately rebid" for $22 more message.

Rebid at $88 (added Cathedral Hill) and got it!

Marriott San Francisco Downtown

Union Square East - Embarcadero

55 Fourth Street

They have rooms with 2 double beds so that should be perfect (but I'll call them to ask for one).

Location is more towards downtown it looks like from the map but still close to the action.

Regards,

David.

Congratulations on your win... looks like a very nice deal!

Glad to hear that you're happy with the results and that it should work out well for your needs. Let su know how everything ultimately works out with the two bed situation.

Thanks for posting to the board and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For someone taking BART from the Airport the Marriott is one of the most convenient hotels you could have won. It's just a block from the Powell Street BART station. Good that you won't have a car as the Marriott's parking charge is now $50/night! :) Good luck with the two beds.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]