Hotwire Hotel: Scared and need help

iburnvx
By iburnvx,
in

:) OK, maybe not really scared, but extremely nervous. For one i have never used priceline before and seems kinda intimidating. I read a bunch of posts from this site and i believe it all makes sense but still all over whelming.

This is what i am wanting or needing. I am wanting a 4+ star in NYC Midtown West (??? i think Midtown west??) for May 2nd, one night. what do i do????? OK i think i know the logiest of it all, but i seen where some folks have gotten the Waldorf Astoria for as little as $150 a night!!!! Is this really possible or just a marketing tool to get me there and try my "luck" (or switch and bait)? I will be willing to spend $200 -$300 a night (or less if possible). Is this too low? should i just try for a 3 star instead? For this amount i am willing to spend could i try for a 5 star? i believe i can figure out the re-bidding technique but how do i know at what price to start at? $150? $245? Just seems so overwhelming.

Also, we will be leaving on the 3rd going to (or somewhere toward) D.C. so would we just do priceline again? and we can stay anywhere in between NYC and D.C. (preferably at least half way) so it could be some small town for all we care, any suggestion's there?

we are Going to Aberdeen Maryland for a business trip that Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. so instead of coming home we want to visit NYC even if for only a day (wanted to all my life).

Oh yeah this should be at the very begging of this post but will say it now, this SITE THE THE HOLY GRAIL when it comes to hotels, bidding, and travel.This site is awesome, whomever runs it, you are THE MAN!!!!! thank you for any help you can pass this way.

iburnvx

One more thing, what if....................................

We get to NYC and get to the hotel and DANG we just love it and have to stay another night? Can we get it for the same amount? would we do priceline again and try our luck? just curious and all, thanks.

OK, maybe not really scared, but extremely nervous. For one i have never used priceline before and seems kinda intimidating. I read a bunch of posts from this site and i believe it all makes sense but still all over whelming.

This is what i am wanting or needing. I am wanting a 4+ star in NYC Midtown West (??? i think Midtown west??) for May 2nd, one night. what do i do????? OK i think i know the logiest of it all, but i seen where some folks have gotten the Waldorf Astoria for as little as $150 a night!!!! Is this really possible or just a marketing tool to get me there and try my "luck" (or switch and bait)? I will be willing to spend $200 -$300 a night (or less if possible). Is this too low? should i just try for a 3 star instead? For this amount i am willing to spend could i try for a 5 star? i believe i can figure out the re-bidding technique but how do i know at what price to start at? $150? $245? Just seems so overwhelming.

Also, we will be leaving on the 3rd going to (or somewhere toward) D.C. so would we just do priceline again? and we can stay anywhere in between NYC and D.C. (preferably at least half way) so it could be some small town for all we care, any suggestion's there?

we are Going to Aberdeen Maryland for a business trip that Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. so instead of coming home we want to visit NYC even if for only a day (wanted to all my life).

Oh yeah this should be at the very begging of this post but will say it now, this SITE THE THE HOLY GRAIL when it comes to hotels, bidding, and travel.This site is awesome, whomever runs it, you are THE MAN!!!!! thank you for any help you can pass this way.

It all depends, and with Priceline you have to be willing to accept what the service gives you. I haven't seen anyone get the Waldorf in a while (and it seems to have limited availability on this date). It also depends on the season and May is the busier Spring season, and prices are higher across the board.

Midtown West does have a lot of 4* options, although it does have some lesser options (the Sheraton New York and Towers gets some pretty mixed reviews.) The Midtown East options are also worth considering, including the nice Intercontinental Barclay. The Grand Hyatt gets some pretty mixed reviews, but I ended up putting my mother-in-law there and it went well. The Midtown East 4* that would likely be the least desirable is the W New York, which gets mostly negative reviews.

I think for a 4* on these dates $150 is going to have to be a starting point. It's pretty unlikely (although not out of the realm of possibility) that this will be accepted. From there, you'll have to bump it up every 24 hours if not accepted.

If you do enjoy your hotel and want to stay another day, then you can choose the "extend your stay" option on Priceline. It is not guaranteed - the service may tell you rooms are not available or that the Priceline rate is higher - but they may also accept the same price. You can only extend your stay once.

You can do Priceline or Hotwire in DC. Those who know the surrounding area better will be able to suggest a place to stay "in-between". You can also easily take Amtrak from NYC to DC.

:) OK, maybe not really scared, but extremely nervous. For one i have never used priceline before and seems kinda intimidating. I read a bunch of posts from this site and i believe it all makes sense but still all over whelming.

This is what i am wanting or needing. I am wanting a 4+ star in NYC Midtown east(??? i think Midtown east??) for May 2nd, one night. what do i do????? OK i think i know the logiest of it all, but i seen where some folks have gotten the Waldorf Astoria for as little as $150 a night!!!! Is this really possible or just a marketing tool to get me there and try my "luck" (or switch and bait)? I will be willing to spend $200 -$300 a night (or less if possible). Is this too low? should i just try for a 3 star instead? For this amount i am willing to spend could i try for a 5 star? i believe i can figure out the re-bidding technique but how do i know at what price to start at? $150? $245? Just seems so overwhelming.

iburnvx

:) Sorry for the double post. It just saw it was posted in "hotwire- newyork city" so i thought i had the post in the wrong forum. I tried to redo it.

I bid $150 on Midtown east 4* and was not accepted. rebid $185 for same plus upperwest bid not accepted. rebid $200 for the same including uppereastside now and still not accepted. I guess now i must wait 24 hours huh? next time should i go alot higher on the bid? say $250?

Thanks

EasyClickTravel.com has a 4* Times Square -- which might be the Hudson -- available for $291: http://easyclicktravel.com/PageHotelDetail...1&tab=hotel

That could be your backup, since ECT bookings are refundable. That would let you hold off raising your bid above $200 until just before you leave.

Where you stay between NY and DC depends on your tastes, Philadelphia fits the bill as does the Brandywine Valley. Or if you want a change from cities you could stay in a hotel or Victorian B&B in Cape May, NJ, and take the ferry across Delaware Bay to continue your trip.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

well -- it's not for the faint of heart -- but

basically you place a bid for a 4* for the area you want to be in.

Any 4* could hit -- you don't have the choice of which to choose.

There are things called a free-rebid zone -- basically PL has zones that define an

area -- NYC has about 9 of them, in this case 2 of them do not have 4* offerings

at this time -- these are considered free rebid zones as they can be added to your

bid choices for 4* allowing you to bid again -- but they will not show up.

One has to be careful to know -- at any time PL could add a 4* there, and

they could then accept your bid and you would be stuck in that zone.

Another thing to note - is some folks bid for lower * ratings, PL is free to award

you a higher * rating if they desire at your Bid price -- so you need to realize

that free-rebid zones do not include zones which have hotels at ratings above your

requested level.

Got all that --

Ok so now onto your next Q -- I want to extend my stay -- there are two methods (well maybe

more -- but only 2 under PL (bribery is not one of them))

Up to a certain point -- you might get the choice to add a night -- there is no guarantee your

price will be approved -- but I do believe that they will give you the same hotel you are in

if your bid is acceptable. Search on this board or check the PL FAQs for adding a night

Alternatively -- you can bid for follow on nights as seperate bids - however you might

get a different hotel completely.

A few years back I bid for rooms in San Diego for a business trip - a colleague's wife

was flying out later in the week and they wanted to extend their visit. The front desk

would have none of it -- So my colleague had his wife PL from back home -- they

got they same hotel -- but the front desk made them change rooms.

I have in the past bid using the concierges computer for the same very hotel to extend my

visit, or to get the hotel for a night on my return as I ended up knowing my flight was

arriving later than planned and I didn't want to drive home.

In these instances it is a calculated gamble - and you have to be willing to change hotels

if another finds your bid to be acceptable.

I'm sure this and more information can be found throughout this website -- you'll soon

find yourself bookmarking it for sure.

m

Thanks all for the great information. my first three attempts all failed. I was thinking about just trying to bid on a 3* in the MTE area, any suggestions on the starting bid? a 3* in NYC MTE, is it going to be ok to stay at? I mean, no rodents, rooms clean, you own bathrooms?

Yeah I already have this site book marked, some very great info. in here.

Also, before I try priceline again I thought I saw in a couple of posts that when we use priceline or hotwire we should use a particular link to help support this site. Is this true? where would I get that link from, thanks.

I can rebid tonight but will wait until tomorrow evening. getting ready to travel to Little rock AR, in the morning for a week. I would of used priceline for this but my work paid for it so don't care if they save $$$!!! ha ha ha

Thanks Again,

Mike

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]