Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW) Hilton

tekob
By tekob,
in

I am planning on bidding for 4/28/2007 for 1 night, close to Union Square. Of course, best hotel for lowest price is the goal. Is there any advantage to waiting last minute or closer to the staying date for better prices?

Also, I may prefer a boutique from USW over a 4 * from USE simply because the 4 stars can be all the way down on the Embarcadero. However, the Westin St. Francis and Sir Francis Drake are considered USE and they are next to Union Square. I am not sure about the USE Boutiques and 3 *s. There are not many informational posts about the boutiques or 3*s from either of these areas, so maybe it is not worth trying for less money for those?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Are you ready to bid now?

You'll need to make a decision regarding your zones and star rating for us to be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

In my opinion the Boutique class properties in this zone are usually not that much less than the 4* properties to justify bidding for them (but then again, i'm not a fan of boutique type properties... to much variation within the class)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

By the way, after checking other travel websites besides Priceline and Hotwire, I found a 3* in the USW area on Orbitz for $87 for 4/28 for 1 night, Beresford Hotel. It includes a continental breakfast, is rated 4.3 by trip advisor visitors and is fairly close to Union Square. I though I would make that my benchmark for bidding on Priceline. I would like to see if I can get something better for under that or around 90-95 tops.

As far as when to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If you're ready to bid, which zone(s) and minimum star level did you decide upon?

If you do opt for the Beresford Hotel, please use our Orbitz link to begin your purchase. I'll also point out that while the TA reviews are 'ok', it is, as per TA, a 2* property :) ... not something i would compare to a priceline 4 star.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

USW 4 star or boutique. I am a little leary of the 3*s, don't know enough about which ones are in the USW zone. As a frequent overnighter to the city I have stayed at a couple of boutique hotels & been fine with them Some even have a complimentary evening wine hour.

Some nights, not all, you can win a 4* in USW for slightly less than the Beresford's $87. Would you rather bid up to the Beresford's price for a 4* or pay less for a 3* or Boutique?

If you're okay with a Boutique in USW then you should be okay with a 3* as well. The Rex is the 3* that's been reported on Priceline and the Rex is more or less a Boutique. Read the Rex reviews and if it seems acceptable to you then I suggest bidding 3*. If a Boutique has a lower rate than the 3* your bid will be upgraded. Some new 3* hotel other than the Rex could come up, of course, but I don't really see much potential for a disaster, especially as this is just for one night.

As a former San Franciscoan, I actually think the Embarcadero area is better/more convenient for getting around SF (unless all you want to do is shop). It has better views, less traffic, fewer tourists, cheaper parking, is on the MUNI, is safer than US, and has the Ferry Bldg to boot.

Thank you so much for your input. I am a former San Franciscan also (native). I often have things going on in the City so that it seems easiest to just book a room. I chose USW this time for a specific event that evening. There seems to be more night life around the USW area than USE. However, I am planning on emphasizing USE next time and really looking forward to trying a different hotel.

As a local North Bay person now, I found that a weekday stay at a Pacific Heights/Lombard or Nob Hill area can be convenient for the morning commute. But you are right, parking is always an addition to the bid. In addition, any info on parking is always a big plus.

It would be great to start a dialogue with local people about the best options for all areas in the City.

It would be great to start a dialogue with local people about the best options for all areas in the City
We encourage this, which is why the following sub-forum is Priceline/Hotwire Hotel Lists and Tips (and if you look in that one there are a few threads regarding parking in various cities wtihin California... including this Parking in San Francisco thread)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]