Priceline Hotel: Low priced hotels

timetraveler
By timetraveler,
in

In searching for hotels of the 2* type in the Orlando area, I've come to a couple of conclusions about using Priceline and Hotwire for low priced hotels:

It's difficult to use rebidding since most areas have 2* hotels.

By the time Priceline and Hotwire add on their fees, very little money is saved over booking with a discount rate such as AAA, AARP, "internet users", etc.

For saving so little money, the Priceline or Hotwire users take a chance on location, encountering unexpected fees, and losing all their money if they have to cancel.

Are my conclusions valid? Can they be generalized to other cities? Is it worth using Hotwire or Priceline for 2* or 1* hotels?

I think it has more to do with the price of the hotel rather than the star rating of the hotel.

In some areas (NYC as an example) 2 star hotels are still often well over $100 per nite, in which case the opaque providers would still be a good option. In other areas 3* and 4* hotels can be had for as little as $59/nite... in these areas it may make less sense to use the opaque providers.

As i've often stated elsewhere, there's just not as much profit margin to be able to discount a $40 hotel room vs. a $140 hotel room.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]