Priceline Hotel: Lifetime of priceline requests (multiple)

angelbnet
By angelbnet,
in

I've been trying to bid at Priceline for a resort location in St. John. My first bid was rejected with the message:

"We're sorry, but we can't accept your offer of $150 for a hotel room in the U.S. Virgin Islands area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number" ......

As is supposed to be the case, I was not able to immediately rebid by simply increasing my offer (without changing anything else) on the "try it again now page".

However, I was able to go back to the priceline front page and reenter the same bid info (same location, star-rating, dates, and cc#) with only a different price. I then got a similar rejection notice:

"We're sorry, but we can't accept your offer of $160 for a hotel room in the U.S. Virgin Islands area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number" ......

I did this three times with three different prices immediately (in less than 24 hours) This resulted in a total of three different request numbers - all bids were rejected. I have two main questions regarding the rejections:

1) Since these requests were all made within 24 hours, shouldn't I have been prevented from doing this? Or have I been? - are the second and third rejections just automatic, despite having the exact phrasing as the first? - it didn't say anywhere that it recognized them as duplicate requests.

2) All three requests are present in my "Check your requests" page. Are they actively "open" requests? Must I resubmit them to ever get a bid accepted or do I now run the risk of getting three reservations automatically booked for the same period?

I'm obviously very new at this and just found this board a couple days ago - there's a ton of information here! Thanks it advance for the help!

Thanks for your response. The dates I've been trying are:

07/28/07 - 07/31/07

I've been selecting "resort" as the star level

I hadn't considered a true upper limit to the budget yet, but had bid 150, 160, 175 per night based on previous prices obtained by priceline users and prices indicated on other (non-opaque) sites for the St. John Westin (which, from what I can gather, is the only "resort" level hotel working with priceline on St. John). I suppose I would bid up to 200 per night if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You do have one re-bid zone available when bidding for a Resort class hotel on St. John. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. Assuming your previous bid was made just over 24 hours ago (if more than 72 hours report back before bidding) as follows:

Select Resort St John...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185.

If rejected wait 24 hours and repeat as follows:

Select Resort St John...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195.

If the aboev is rejected i do have another idea, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Any questions on the above feel free to ask.

Good Luck and keep us updated as to how it goes.

PS:

from what I can gather, is the only "resort" level hotel working with priceline on St. John
Be sure to read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List... you could be the first to report a new hotel in the area

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the bidding advice. I tried the first portion of the bidding strategy tonight using the Savingsbarn.com PRICELINE link:

$180 resort St. John - rejected

add rebid zone St. Thomas $185 resort - rejected

I will try the second part of the strategy in another 24 hrs.

Do you have any information about my initial questions on my first post in this thread (see above)?

Specifically, what happens to these new bidding requests that are rejected? I can see them all on my "check your request" page.

Does it make any difference if I place a new request every 24 hrs (and generate a new request #) or if I revise an old request for the same dates (using an old request number)?

Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links for your bidding attempts.

The bids shouldn't be processed if the same bid has been made within the last 24 hours, but sometimes they are. Given the time before your stay i would just wait the 24 hours between bids and start new bids for each cycle.

Once a bid is rejected it is 'done' and not active. You won't hear from priceline that they'll now accept it although they may remind you that your lock-out period is expired and that you can try again.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you a gambler? :)

If so, HOTWIRE is offering a 4* hotel for your dates (believed to be the Westin) for $259/nite. If you also search the Westin website you'll see that this hotel is available directly for $231/nite (the first page shows $309, but if you click "book it" you'll see a current promotion for 25% off)

If correct and you bought the HOTWIRE hotel, you could then make a "Double the Difference Guarantee" claim, bringing your cost down to $203/nite (plus fees and taxes)

What could go wrong? HOTWIRE could say that the room you bought thru them is not a garden view room and therefore the rooms for the same hotel class on the Westin site are indeed higher than you paid thru HOTWIRE... however, rooms thru the opaque providers are usually the lowest room class avaialble.

If you're not willing to take the risk, i do think that the current promo directly thru the Westin website is competitive vs. what you'd likely expect to pay thru Pricleine. Since there is no booking fee (directly thru the Westin) it comes out to about $25 more per nite by booking direct.

If you do go with either of the above, please use our HOTWIRE link or our Westin link to begin your purchase.

Your thoughts/questions?

I'm unfamiliar with the history of St. John on priceline, but it sure seems like you're bidding a lot for summer travel -- as confirmed by the fact that there are non-opaque deals that seem to be near your bidding range.

I would immediately suspend priceline bidding and take a good look at what hotels you might want to stay at, and what deals you can get from conventional sources. Seems like choosing your own hotel might be the best idea, and also the least expensive one. You can always low-ball bid again in a month or two.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]