Shabby treatment at check-in

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

Stayed one night here on a Priceline win earlier this week. It was a very last minute business trip - I left the office, threw a change of clothes into a canvas tote bag and drove the four hours to Jersey City. There was a very small crowd at the lobby bar and the parkign garage was close to empty - both indications that the occupancy rate was probably low. The desk clerk gave me a quick up and down visual inspection and a sour look as I approached the counter with my very casual clothes (which I had been in since 6:30 AM and it was now 11 PM) and my worn out canvas tote (not to mention my overstuffed computer bag that had some extra hardware in it for my client).

I was immediately informed that "the ONLY room we have available has two double beds". I was in no mood to negotiate or call that dubious statement into question but not only was I assigned a room with two doubles rather than a king (I'm 6' 2" tall and can obviously benefit from the extra length).... he gave me Room 666. I couldn't give a hoot about the religious implications of that number as I'm not overly religious nor am I superstitious but it seemed intentional. Sure enough.... when I arose early the next morning and walked down the hall, there were only a half dozen or so rooms that had newspapers on the floor outside the door - a sure sign that most of the remaining rooms were empty and had been so all night.

I should probably complain but it hardly seems worth the effort. I can state that of all my Priceline stays (likely close to 50 nights at this point).... this is the only time I've ever had such an experience.

Sounds like this clerk was having a bad day and might not have been happy with any customer that came up to the desk next... whether it be the shabby dressed guy with the canvas tote bag OR the well dressed executive with the briefcase that costs more than his weekly salary (he would have found something wrong with either).

If i was unhappy with the room i may have used the room number as grounds to be moved but it sounds as if you were too tired to deal with it. Maybe a HHonors Gold card may have helped in a situation such as this?

All of us have bad days sometimes and hopefully that's all this can be attributed to.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

All of us have bad days sometimes and hopefully that's all this can be attributed to.

I have worked in a number of jobs over the years where I dealt with the public and prefer to give the benefit of the doubt when it's an isolated incident (which this appeared to have been). I had the Gold card in my briefcase but was just too tired to dig it out and deal with it.

If he had been overtly rude I would complain and follow through but service personnel don't derserve to be hung out to dry on the basis of a small incident such as this. I guess I just need to vent and this is a better place than any. I am curious to know if others have experienced this on occasion and at what properties.

The room was fine apart from one burned out light bulb. It was just the principle of the whole thing that was a bit irritating - all guests deserve equally courteous treatment regardless of their mode of dress (within reason) and the price they paid for the room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]