Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Hilton Garden Inn

mccarthys5
By mccarthys5,
in

Was trying to target the Marriott Courtyard in Downtown Philadelphia - I bid $50 (on Expedia, they currently have rooms with two double beds for $159/night.) Bid was rejected (went through the SavingsBarn link to PRICELINE, by the way.) Guess I have to wait the 24 hours for the rebid. I got this hotel about a month or so ago while it was running at the $159 rate for $48 (but that was the day of.) The danger with this is that I could potentially get upgraded to a 3* hotel and there's a couple of those I'd rather not get (like the Holiday Inn Independence and Club Quarters.) I may just go through Hotwire, they are showing the Sheraton Society Hill for $81/night, which is fairly reasonable. Also, our kids will be with us, so I'd like to have an indoor pool. If I do book via Hotwire, I'll go through the SavingsBarn link again and post back as to how I made out.

Suzanne

Ended up going through Priceline (and SavingsBarn.) Tried for the 2.5 star Marriott Courtyard, if you recall on a previous post - was rejected at $50, upped the bid to $56 and got upgraded to a 3* property - the Hilton Garden Inn. I've stayed here 2x before, decent property - at least they have an indoor pool and hot tub since we are bringing the kids this time around. Need to call the property today, hopefully they can accomodate with two double beds in the room. We are taking the kids into Philly to see the King Tut exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Thanks again for all your help and if I do use Hotwire in the future, I will remember that you have your own link now, didn't realize that prior.

Suzanne

It was a great savings - lowest price I saw for the Hilton Garden for those dates was their net direct rate of $143, so I'll take $56 any day!

Also, I called the Hilton Garden this morning, they said it would be no problem to reserve a room with two double beds. Love these Priceline deals!

Suzanne

You will NEVER find me at the dreaded Warehouse! Villa di Roma in South Philly for one night's dinner - any suggestions for family-friendly for the 2nd night? Kids are 8 and 5 and well-behaved (usually!) Sadly, no Brasserie Perrier on this getaway!

Suzanne

What? Not going to the Academy of Natural Sciences?? It has an exhibit now that the kids will love, I think it was suggested by the guy on the Discovery Channel show "Dirty Jobs" :)

Spaghetti Warehouse.....what a great name :) How about Dave and Busters? The food is pretty lame, but the kids will like all of the games!! On the same pier as D&B is Hibachi, a Japanese Teppanyaki-style restaurant might also work. Also, how about Jones on Chestnut around 7th? Haven't been there yet, but it looked crowded when we walked by awhile ago. Finally, you will be within walking distance of Chinatown.....order the Sweet and Sour Chicken, hold the sweet and sour sauce and call it chicken fingers....call ahead and make sure that they have some Ketchup.

Jones might work - that is a very good idea! I just can't stomach D&B for the food (am a bit of an admitted snob that way!) but the games for the kids would be fun. I actually thought about trying dim sum with the kids one day at the Imperial Inn in Chinatown - was going to try and call it an adventure and if it doesn't work out, we can always walk to Moriarity's for burgers!

I haven't decided what to do with the rest of the time we are downtown - maybe the Academy of Natural Science is a good idea, I'll have to check out the info online. I know my older daughter was there last year, but wasn't thrilled. She loves the Franklin Institute, however. I may check out Fireman's Hall with them as well down in Old City - my son loves anything to do with that kind of thing. A lot will depend on the weather - hopefully we'll get some of those 70+ temps back!

Suzanne

It was a great savings - lowest price I saw for the Hilton Garden for those dates was their net direct rate of $143, so I'll take $56 any day!

Also, I called the Hilton Garden this morning, they said it would be no problem to reserve a room with two double beds. Love these Priceline deals!

Suzanne

Hi McCarthys5,We're visting the Jefferson Hospital at 10th/Walnut. I 've won a bid for 2 nights $55/night sat to mon near your dates at the Hilton Garden inn too.

What is the name of the Amish restaurant that you mentioned in the Tripadvisor,is it just called Amish restaurant at the Reading Market?

For Chinese food,we've always ate at the Lake Tai restaurant in chinatown.Field -chicken(frogs),steamed fish seasonal,no sweet and sour for this connoisoir.

Is the McCormick and Schmicks any good for seafood?Their Boston Quincy Market Branch was quite good when we tried.I hope they have room near Good Friday.

thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]