Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Doubletree

Kimsgoingsomewhere
By Kimsgoingsomewhere,
in

Hello helpful group of people!

There are 5 of us (2 couples and 1 teenager) staying in NYC for the auto show located at the Jacob Javits Convention Center 11th ave between 34 & 39 Streets April 6 - 8. Was wondering if I should bid on 2 rooms, or would I be better off staying at the suites places I've seen you recommend. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kim

I think you'd need a 2BR suite at any of the affinia properties (Beekman, Eastgate, etc) to accomodate 5 people.

Two rooms would be better (imo), but if going with priceline you'll still have the potential risk/issue of triple occupancy in a room guaranteed for double occupancy.

I do have a few ideas... how much will you also be "seeing the city" or is this strictly for the car show? What is your expected budget?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

An hour flight means getting to the airport an hour or more prior to departure, paying parking and then train or taxi into the hotel when you arrive ( may need 2 if there are 5 of you). It probably takes about 2.5 hours out for an hour flight. If you like driving and there are enough of you to share driving but still be comfortable then I would consider that particularly if cost was an issue. Depending on your plans you may be able to get a better deal on Priceline further from Manhattan if that works.

For 2 couples and a teen I would also want 2 rooms.

Good luck

On the otherhand... i don't like driving (or being in a car) for more than 2 hours, so i would opt for the flight (or look into other options like a bus or train).

Since Blueskies mentioned areas outside of Manhattan, i'll mention that i think you could get a very good deal (less than $100/nite) in Jersey City... you could then take the PATH train into the city (10 minutes downtown/18 minutes midtown). The upside is that the hotels are a great value, if you get the Hyatt it has a great view of the Manhattan skyline, and everything around the hotel is less expensive than in Manhattan. The downside is that you're not in Manhattan.

Not sure if this would be an option for you or not, or if you'd want to limit your maximum bid for NYC bidding knowing that a less expenisve, yet a little less convenient alternative, is available.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there and/or suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So, I checked out the reviews of the Hyatt...it looks amazing! How do I go about getting that for less than $100/night? The PATHS train looks to be very convenient also. Does it run 24/7? If we chose to fly, will it be easy to get from JFK to the Hyatt? If we drive, what would be the best parking solution?

On the other hand, what do you think would be our best bet and price if we wanted to stay in the city?

I really can't thank you enough for being so helpful!

Kim

There are two known 3* hotels in Jersey City (there could be others not yet reported)... the Hyatt and the Doubletree.

What appears to be the Hyatt is available on HOTWIRE for $107/nite. At this rate you can usually get this on Priceline for $65-$75 (or just a bit more). If trying to undercut HOTWIRE by bidding on priceline, there is always a risk of receiving the Doubletree (still not bad at that rate) or some other not yet reported hotel.

You can either take the HOTWIRE offer (where the Hyatt has been reported as a 4* and match the amentieis to that in our Hotiwre Hotel List) or you can try bidding on priceline.

If you want to try priceline, you have one re-bid zone available when bidding 3* in Jersey City. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75.

If you would rather try for Manhattan let us know and we'll suggest a strategy to follow... i'm guessing that a NYC hotel will cost you at least $150+.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know if you try the above or if you'd rather try NYC first and we'll suggest how to proceed.

Good Luck.

At $75 or less i'd think you're chances of getting the Hyatt are "good" as the other reported hotel usually goes for more than that... but of course, no guarantees.

And "yes", EWR is closer than JFK, but if the $100 flights are only available to JFK i'd take it anyway.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Yes, Elizabeth is current you're re-bid zone when bidding 3 stars in Jersey City.

Note that the HOTWIRE rate for the property referenced above has gone up from $107 to $155... so not sure if the low rates will still be available... but give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

If/when you're successful we'll then go thru the JFK-->Jersey City options.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Hi Folks!

So, I ended up with the Doubletree for $101. I haven't seen as many good things about that one, so I hope its nice! The Hyatt had such beautiful pictures.....

Anyway, here's what I did...

First I bid 70, Jersey City 3*

rejected...

Increase to 80 and added Elizabeth

rejected...

Started over

bid 90, Jersey City 3*

rejected...

Increased to 101 and added Elizabeth

won!

I had tried staying in NYC using the tips from here, bid upto 155 on 3* with no luck.

Thanks for all your help, thereuare....you're a gem!

Kim....

of course, I did all this through Savingsbarn.com!

Congratulations on your win... still some considerable savings over a conventional booking at this hotel!

At check-in mention that you're a light sleeper and request a room away from the light rail tracks as it will probably be a little bid quieter. Closest PATH station is Pavonia/Newport and is about 50-100 yards from this hotel.

If you need help with the area just let me know as i'm very familiar with it.

Enjoy your stay.

I just got back from a Priceline stay at the Doubletree and was very happy with it. Sure, I'd rather have been in the city, but at 1/3 the rate, it's worth the 20 minute hassle. The suites were large and the beds were great. Parking was also a steal at $15/day including in/out. Be sure to take a PATH train schedule with you into the city. It's not fun missing a train at 2am when they run on a 30 minute schedule! :) Also, some of the PATH stations are adjacent to the NYC subways, some are not. I made a late-night mistake of transfering off of the NYC subway at Christopher street thinking that the PATH Christopher street station would have been directly connected....but it's not - you have to walk several blocks down the street. Had I not had the PATH schedule that listed the cross street of the PATH station, I never would have found it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]