Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Holiday Inn Downtown

trippin tre
By trippin tre,
in

Hi.

I am hoping to bid on a room for March 16-19 and I'm looking to find a good deal (price is the #1 factor). My preference would be to stay downtown or in the coastal region, but would consider others nearby. I am hoping to find a decent hotel for under $60/night. Willing to stay in a *2 but obviously would prefer higher quality, if possible. Hotwire is showing a *2 in Mission Valley for $45/night, so I am willing to pay a little more than that for a better area.

Can someone suggest a bidding strategy, or am I too all over the place in my options? Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Tracey

I too all over the place in my options?
Yes... you are.

It's ahrd ot advise when you state that price is the most important factor, willing to take a 2*, but prefer higher.

Obviously the 2* would likely be the least expensive... so to spend more is a trade-off, one that it's not clear if you're willing to take.

Why don't we start with this... at the 2.5* or 3* level (you let us know which you want to try for first) which zones are you willing to accept and what would be your maximum bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oops... right I see my error, just because there is no 2.5 * in one area but there are higher rated hotels, I could get bumped up to 3 stars (in Miramar).

The FOUR rebid zones are: East County, Escondido, National City and San Ysidro.

If these bids are unsuccessful, I would then want to try to bid *3 up to $60.

I'm assuming that staying in Coronado is "ok" with you if you were to get upgraded to a 3* hotel in that zone with your 2.5* bidding.

You can try as follows:

Select 2.5* Dowtnown...

Bid $30, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $32, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $34, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Coastal...

Bid $34, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Old Town...

Select 2.5* Coronado...

Select 2.5* Dowtnown and Coastal...

Bid $36, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $40, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Old Town and Coronado...

Bid $36, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $40, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Dowtnown and Old Town...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $44, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $46, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Coatal and Coronado...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $44, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $46, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Dowtnown and Old Town and Costal and Coronado...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $52

Any questions feel freel to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Decided to go up to $54 and it made the difference.

Won Holiday Inn Harborview $54 a night, March 16-19 using savings barn.

I mostly followed your strategy, although I started at $40, not $30 as I figured that was useless. (so I upped each bid from your strategy $10)

Thanks for your help. This seems like a pretty good deal. Same hotel seemed to be showing on Hotwire a couple days ago for I think $77.

Happy to have this taken care of.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear that you're happy with the results and that we were able to help.

Is this the Holiday Inn at 1617 First Avenue?

Thank you for sharing your win and for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]