Priceline Hotel: 5* Las Vegas Strip May 16-May 21

AEmgee
By AEmgee,
in

Since everyone is so friendly here (unlike at some other forum where you always get your head bitten off), I thought I would post a "help!" request and see if anyone has any thoughts.

I'd like to stay in the Venetian from Sunday, May 23 to Saturday, May 29 (6 nights). Since May 28 is a Friday and prices are generally higher for that night, I would be okay with just May 23 to May 28.

I know that Priceline offers the best price 7 days from check-in and to use Hotwire as a "gauge" as to when to try bidding. I don't mind bidding up to the day of arrival if I have to (won't be leaving for Las Vegas until evening of May 23)!

Currently, Hotwire has the following:

May 23: N/A

May 24: N/A

May 25: N/A

May 26: $190

May 27: $184

May 28: $190

May 29: $275

So my questions:

1. Any ideas where to look for a nicer rate to use the "Double the Difference" rule on Hotwire?

2. I've never been to Las Vegas, so any suggestions on backup hotels?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for noticing the differences :)

Recently we've seen quickbook.com and tripgenius.com used to take advantage of Hotwire's DD Guarantee in Las Vegas.

I just took a quick look and i think Sun-Wed is going to be more of a problem than Wed-Sat. I'd bet there is a major convention there for those dates or at least a medium sized convention using the Ventian as their "conference hotel" (or something else obvious that i can't think of right now).

Fortunately it's early and things can and do change quickly in Vegas.

As for back-up properties, it really depends upon your budget as prices vary greatly. Regarding location i advocate staying between MGM/NYNY and Treasure Island. If you want to talk about your non-Venetian budget i'll try to come up with some suggestions for specific properties.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, this site rocks. Too bad it's not that well-known.

It looks like the largest convention (34,000 attendees) around that time is for the "International Council of Shopping Centers" (May 23 - 26) but their base hotel is the Hilton.

I'd say for a backup I'd be willing to pay $60-70.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, Tripgenius has the following (Hotwire price in brackets):

May 23: N/A

May 24: N/A

May 25: N/A

May 26: $249.96 ($190)

May 27: $249.96 ($184)

May 28: $249.96 ($190)

May 29: $349.96 ($275)

Well if we continue to rock think of where we'll be a year from now!! :) It's only been one year and the growth should be exponential as we move forward (ie- if one person tells 2 people, and they each tell 2 people, and those people each tell 2 people, etc, etc)

We do need the help from everyone to help spread the word at other message boards and travel related sites they visit (if anyone has any promotion ideas to help spread the word please email me)

I think the problem is not that 34,000 person convention, it's the CA World 2004 convention of 10,000 attendees that are using the Venetian as their base hotel... but combine both of them and it's almost 50,000 people in town during an otherwise slow Sun-Wed.

As of now, i think you're price for a back-up hotel is a little tight for a 'premier' property. However, things in Vegas change very quickly (up and down). I'd expect prices to come down as you get closer, but if you want to make sure something is secure for now:

Tropicana: book the Paradise Tower at their webiste for $60-$70/nite (but that Friday is expensive at $139). Older hotel but location is ok, pool area used to be great before all the mega-resorts came, but still has the only swim-up blackjack table in Vegas. Generally speaking hotel is a little 'tired' but given current prices this isn't such a bad deal. (i'd hope eventually you would be able to get something near your price point at the Flamingo, Ballys, or other similar property, but right now i'm seeing prices $100+) I think the website indicates it's fully cancellable up to 48 hours before arrival but you should double-check this on your own.

One other suggestion, and people either love it or hate it, but maybe consider staying Downtown for the first nite or two of your stay (although depending upon your tastes/style/age i may or may not recommend this). It's always much cheaper than the strip, lower gamble minimums at the tables, deals at every level of quality for food and drink, and it'll give you a taste of 'old-style' vegas. Before booking something like this though i'd tell us a little more about your tastes and expectations. I always make it point to get downtown when i'm Vegas, yet i understand some who say it's dirty and that they don't feel safe (personally i feel safe when staying on Freemont St, and don't see any real need to venture from it).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's ok, plenty to do (and eat) there w/o drinking or gambling!

I'd start looking now for when you're first eligible to buy tix to Mystere (at Treasure Island) as IMO it's one of the best shows i've seen. You may also want to consider raising your price a little (if it's within your budget) if you plan on using some of the 'resort' features of the property you stay at. Some of the pool areas at the hotels are amazing, and definately worth spending a little extra.

I've looked a little more and the Wed and Thur nite should be easy to get a good deal, but the other nites are currently somewhat more difficult.

Thanks for the heads-up. Mystere tickets are available 3 months in advance and the closest available date is Tuesday, May 18. So for a May 24 show, I should make a booking in about a week.

It's in the budget to pay up to $125/night but unless it's as nice as the Venetian, I wouldn't want to pony up that kind of money for an "okay" hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my vacation dates to May 16 to May 22. Seems like much better availability for the Venetian!

From Hotwire (Quikbook in brackets):

May 16: $186 ($195)

May 17: $203 ($214)

May 18: $230 ($268)

May 19: $191 ($195)

May 20: $191 ($195)

May 21: $210 ($214)

Hotwire wants $199 for the 6 days. I will keep my eye on Hotwire and hopefully will grab a deal via Priceline a week before check-in.

Also made reservations to watch Cirque du Soleil's O at the Bellagio. Anybody have comments on this show?

Thereuare, any sage advice?

Latest Hotwire prices:

May 16: $191

May 17: $217

May 18: $203

May 19: $191

May 20: $148

May 21: $217

Hotwire wants $185 for the 6 days.

It seems that May 20 would be available via Priceline for a decent rate even now. Do you think it would be best to hold off until early May before even thinking of bidding?

I would only be keeping an eye open for Double the Difference opportunities at this point... it's just too early for the truly great deals at the V.

I'm on the lookout for a family member who want to stay at the Venetian at the end of the April and although i've occaisionally looked, i know it's still too early for serious consideration.

Have you booked a back-up yet?

I am looking at Luxor for $89/night as a backup. Do all hotels charge one night's rate as a deposit that is refundable with 48-hours cancellation?

First night room and tax will be charged immediately to the credit card given at the time of reservation.

There is a 48 hour cancellation policy. You will receive a full refund if reservation is cancelled no later than 48 hours prior to arrival.

Thanks for your help!

Good suggestion for a non-immediate billing alternative, but...

If you need to use your back-up, would you be happy at the Crowne Plaza at $99/nite vs. Luxor at $89/nite?

The only downside i can see to putting a reservation on your credit card is if you carry a balance and therefore interest begins to acrue immediately.

However, if they charge you one nite ($100 to make the numbers easy) and your credit card interest is 20% (i hope it's lower than that!) then you would pay $20/year to carry this balance....divide by 12 and it costs $1.67/month in interest to carry this reservation. Shouldn't really be too much of an issue (although i do realize it all adds up!)

I would jump on a back-up at luxor for that price.Did you check special rates on the Vs web site?Sometimes you can find $119 there.

Luxor has been booked as a backup. Deposit charged to CC but it's not really a problem (no balance) - just a bit different than most places that are not Vegas! The Venetian website has rates of $179.99 to $269.99 for my dates. The $119 suite specials only extend to April 13 at the moment.

Anybody have show/attraction recommendations (that need to be pre-booked)?

• 5 weeks later...

Should I be concerned that the Hotwire price has gone from $185 to $220 now?

May 16: $152 (was $191)

May 17: $247 (was $217)

May 18: $285 (was $203)

May 19: $198 (was $191)

May 20: $188 (was $148)

May 21: $237 (was $217)

Nothing to worry about or a sign that inventory may be drying up?

P.S. I can only afford ONE Cirque du Soleil show!!! :)

You still have over a month before your stay,rates could come down.Time to start worrying is one to two weeks before your stay in Vegas.

bbbb, since you seem to be the board's veteran expert on LV, do you have any advice about seeing the Grand Canyon on a day trip? Drive there yourself, take one of those bus tours, helicopter, etc?

browneyeddaisy - You-know-who is just nasty... edits all my posts and repeatedly sends me messages to use her link for the commission! BetterBidding is so much friendlier. Thanks everyone!

Should I be concerned that the Hotwire price has gone from $185 to $220 now?

May 16: $152 (was $191)

May 17: $247 (was $217)

May 18: $285 (was $203)

May 19: $198 (was $191)

May 20: $188 (was $148)

May 21: $237 (was $217)

Nothing to worry about or a sign that inventory may be drying up?

I would be planning on the possibility of using your backup hotel. There's a 3000 person convention at Venetian and a 5000 person at the convention center the days you're looking at, so that could be pinching availability a bit. You might get some availability opened at the last minute, but probably won't see any discounts until right before.

When it gets within 21-14 days, Venetian will put the days on the suite specials page that they're looking for people to come stay. If you see your days on that page, then you'll have a really good chance at getting them for cheap on PL/HW.

P.S. I can only afford ONE Cirque du Soleil show!!!  :)

If you're only doing one show, stick with "O". People I talked to there said that's the overall best one, and like I said, I found it really impressive. We had to go through friends of friends to get tickets opened up, but had some great seats.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]