Hotwire Trip Insurance

Nene
By Nene,
in

Hi,

I am actually getting ready to book two hotels on Hotwire one for a week at WDW in June. That is the one I am concerned about if something should happen and I need to cancel. I have two children ages 2 and 4 and I want to be protected, cause let's face it, sometimes things just happen.

I have searched high and low for peoples experiences with the trip insurance and do you think it is a good thing?

Thanks!

Denise

I look at insurance in percentage terms.

If i'm paying 10% for insurance and figure i'll cancel less than 10% of my trips, i'll 'self-insure' and eat the loss since i'll come out ahead in the long run.

Remember that insurance only covers you under certain conditions and not because you changed your mind... be sure to read coverage documents carefully to know what is covered and what is not.

WT also gives great advice about checking with your credit card company to see under what conditions they may reimburse you (especially American Express which i think is one of the most consumer/travel friendly cards).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I have not used the trip insurance yet for Hotwire. I have looked at it and know that the insurance mostly covers injury, sickness, or other severe conditions. And I do not know what type of info you need to provide as back up to get your money back. I have had bookings through hotwire that I have gotten stuck with due to changes in business plans. I had one in detroit where I was going out to train a coworker and his father passed away, I did not have insurance but tried to call the hotwire customer service and the hotel directly. I was just trying to get the stay changed for two weeks later. I had even checked on Hotwire and the same hotel was showing up available for the later stay but was unable to get the new dates or a refund. Since my business reimburses me for travel, I was personally not out the money and the way we looked at it was for all the money we have saved an occasional 'glitch' was just part of the risk and rewards of using Hotwire.

I did learn when Hotwire worked for us and when it didn't, I am looking to go to WDW in the fall and will proably use Hotwire. I may wait until a little closer to the trip to make my final bookings. And I will probably figure out which hotel we will target (via this board) and just keep calling to see how full they get and compare the prices offered.

I have had a whole week in a 3.5* in midtown Atlanta that went unused when business plans got changed. I even called some people I knew in the area to see if they wanted a free stay but no one was able to use it. It might be interesting to see a posting section here of purchased trips that might be available (purchase or swap??) from other members if a stay is going to go unused. When I called the hotel for the Atlanta trip all I would have had to do was change the name of the person staying at the room.

It might be interesting to see a posting section here of purchased trips that might be available (purchase or swap??) from other members if a stay is going to go unused.

A good idea, but unfortunately it would violate Hotwire's Terms of Use (the same goes for Priceline):

All purchases made on Hotwire are final and cannot be cancelled, refunded, changed, exchanged or transferred

Although we have no affiliation with Hotwire or Priceline, and neither has any control over the content posted on the board, we do try to be 'good neighbors' and work within each of their respective terms of use.

I do know that occaisionally users have been able to get a hotel to change the date(s) of a stay, but this is more the exception than the rule.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]