Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) InterContinental

Glacier
By Glacier,
in

I'm looking for assistance in bidding on Priceline for Sat., 5/12-Weds., 5/16, 4*

I have never used Priceline before so please go easy on me! I'm going with my college daughter and will be going to Wicked, a River tour, Art Institute, etc. and of course - shopping. I currently hold a reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn at $180 night but would love to lower that price. I don't have flights from Minneapolis yet but I am watching fares closely and will jump when they get a little lower.

I think I understand the process but I am not sure of what zones I should pick that would keep me in areas for our interests. I also think I should bid soon based on what I am seeing with the airfares and hotel rates.

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Chicago is quite compact, despite being a "big city." The two main priceline zones are the two halves of downtown Chicago: River North/North Michigan Ave. and Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park zones. You do NOT want to bid on any other zones.

If you end up in the Loop area, it's easy to take public transit or even walk in most cases to the River North/NMA area. If you stay in the River North/NMA area, it's easy enough to take public transit to the loop.

The River North/NMA area is mainly a shopping area, offers a lot of restaurant choices and stays lively a bit later into the evening. The Loop area offers some shopping, Millennium Park, Art Institute and, a little ways SE, the Museum Campus (Field Museum/Adler Planetarium/Shedd Aquarium.) The loop is primarily a financial district and areas of it do become quiet at night after the workers head home.

If you don't mind one bed, Quikbook.com is offering the Comfort Inn for $159 a night for your dates. Just a couple of blocks from where the HGI is, the Comfort Inn gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com and is closer to Michigan Ave than the HGI. Quikbook.com also has the 4* Talbott for $174. The Talbott is just a couple of blocks from the North end of North Michigan Ave. - the Hancock Tower/Observatory, Water Tower Mall are right there.

Use promo code AMKD on Quikbook.com which should get you a $10 Amazon.com Gift Certificate.

EasyClickTravel has the Whitehall for $126. The Whitehall has a terrific location (half a block from Michigan Ave; the Talbott is just one block West of the Whitehall), but the reviews of it are quite mixed (and some quite negative) I'd definitely read the reviews on tripadvisor.com first.

HOTWIRE.com (another non-refundable service, like Priceline) doesn't have much for your dates, but there are two listings I'm seeing that you may want to consider:

4*, Mag Mile/Streeterville; fitness/business/pool/internet/restaurant. $162 (the price you see may vary slightly). This is possibly the Intercontinental.

3* Mag Mile/Streeterville, fitness/pool/restaurant/business/internet, $114. I'm guessing this could be the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza's location in the West loop is rather "out of the action", requiring about a 15-17 minute walk East to Michigan Ave. However, not a bad hotel and not a bad price. There is an "L" station right there, which you could take South and get off near the Sears Tower or Art Institute.

Moderator thereuare will be able to better suggest a strategy for Priceline, but I wanted to note some other regular rate suggestions cheaper (and the Hilton Garden Inn is a nice hotel, don't get me wrong - but the CI and Talbott are also nice for a few bucks less)

Based upon the <excellent> info provided by AaronJB what is your maximum bid?

Which zone(s) are you willing to accept? (assuming you still want to try priceline given the other options above). North Michigan Avenue and the Loop zones are the most frequently bid by the 'aveage' tourist, but not sure if these would both work equally well for your plans/needs.

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much to you both for the help.... I really appreciate it.

I think we would be fine with either the loop or River North. I believe the Hilton Garden is in the North Michigan area and I picked that based on reviews. Basically, my concerns are safety and ease of transportation. I have never been to Chicago so much of it is greek to me :)

As far as my bid I would not want to go higher than $120. If I go higher than that I don't think it's worth the gamble of the no cancellation policy which is my biggest concern. However, once we make the flights we are pretty committed anyway. I've also thought about a 3* for less but thought that might be more of a gamble - any thoughts on that?

I would love to hear any and all advice you have. Thanks again.

If you want to take Amtrak from Minneapolis, the Amtrak final stop for that train (the Empire Builder) is Union Station, which is right downtown. While Amtrak can be iffy in terms of on-time performance, it is nice to arrive downtown instead of having to make your way in from the airport.

The main (most commonly seen, in other words) 3* hotels in the River North/NMA area are the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, the Allerton and the Chicago City Centre Hotel & Sports Club (that being the former Holiday Inn City Centre, recently changed to new ownership) The Allerton is an older hotel that is going to be undergoing renovations this year; it's not the best hotel, but it is in a prime location essentially on Michigan Ave. The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is not in the most convenient location (as mentioned above), but it is nice as Holiday Inns go and there is an "L" station right there. The Chicago City Centre Hotel & Sports Club is in a great area and the hotel is fine; I haven't stayed there since the management change a week or two ago, but I did stay there when it was a HI and put family members there on a few occasions; all went fine.

Keep in mind that, if you bid 3*, you can be upgraded to 4*. The least of the 4* hotels in the North Michigan Ave. area is the Millennium Knickerbocker, a historic hotel (it was a hideout for Al Capone and was the Playboy Club in the '70's; Daryl Hannah also apparently lived there as a kid) that is in need of some work (which it will reportedly get sometime this year.) The MK is in a good location, but the rooms are small and hit-and-miss in terms of wear/tear.

The other NMA 4* hotels are quite nice, including the Intercontinental (very nice, historic with an absolutely beautiful pool and great Michigan Ave. location), the Westin Michigan Ave (not as nice as the city's other Westin, but fine and does offer the Westin "Heavenly" amenities), the Sheraton Towers (great location, hotel is just okay), Omni Suites, the Wyndham (after a rocky first trip, I've grown to like the Wyndham and would be happy to get it) and others.

The only *known* (could be others we're unaware of) "boutique" rated hotel in the River North/NMA area is the Ambassador East, which is a historic hotel in the Gold Coast area. The AE used to be one of the prime hotels in Chicago before the Westins and the other modern hotels popped up. It is a little worn and the service isn't the same as when it was an Omni (until a couple of years ago), but I wouldn't mind staying there. Keep in mind this is the furthest North of the downtown area hotels on Priceline. It's in the Gold Coast area, just a few minutes walk North of the North end of the North Michigan Ave. area. The AE is on a tree-lined street with some gorgeous apartment buildings. Restaurants and stores start a couple of blocks South.

As for the Loop, common 4* hotels include the Hyatt, the Palmer House, the Hilton Towers, the Hard Rock, the Swissotel and others. The Hyatt is the largest downtown hotel and, as such, don't expect personalized service. It's an impersonal convention hotel, but it's fine for priceline rates - I wouldn't pay full price. The Hard Rock is in the historic Carbon & Carbide building, but reviews are either love it or hate it. The Palmer House does have small rooms and is currently undergoing some renovations. However, it does have the stunning lobby area and a good location in the Loop (there's plenty of busses going up/down State St. right there and both the "L" and subway are essentially next to the hotel.) The Hilton & Towers is the furthest South; while that puts you within easy walking distance of the Museum Campus, it is a ways from Michigan Ave and there is not much (aside from apartments and college buildings) in the blocks directly around the Hilton. You can walk from the Hilton to the Art Institute or State St. shopping. However, unless you feel like a good walk, you may want to take public transit to North Michigan Ave. shopping. Finally, the Swissotel is a very nice luxury hotel just a few doors East of the Hyatt.

The common 3* hotels in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area include the two Club Quarters properties, which do have small rooms, but get decent reviews. There is the Adams location and the Wacker/Michigan location (the latter being the more centrally located of the two.) There's also the 3* Allegro, a Kimpton property. The Allegro is a nice hotel, but there's not much going on around it and it will be very quiet in that area later at night (once the theatre crowds next door let out they'll be no one around) and pretty quiet on the weekends.

That summary will hopefully give you a better idea of some of the potential hotels you could get bidding 3*, boutique (in the River North/NMA area only) or 4*.

Thereuare will be able to give you a more detailed strategy on how to go about bidding. Given the prices though, I don't think you should have trouble getting something for under $120.

Thanks Aaron for your help and advise - it is so appreciated. We thought about the train but I've read so many bad reviews. I was able to get $29 round trip flights on AirTran this morning (I hope I don't regret it!). We'll have to figure out how to get to our hotel from Midway.

At this point I think I'm ready to bid.... just need to read a bit more and explore where we want to stay. It does sound like Priceline is the way to go for a nice hotel at a good price. The flights and tickets to Wicked cannot be cancelled so we are commited.

When bidding 4* in Chicago you have one re-bid zone available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop and NMA...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70.

The above may very well be too low, but i would start with the above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

<<Thanks Aaron for your help and advise - it is so appreciated. We thought about the train but I've read so many bad reviews. I was able to get $29 round trip flights on AirTran this morning (I hope I don't regret it!). We'll have to figure out how to get to our hotel from Midway.

At this point I think I'm ready to bid.... just need to read a bit more and explore where we want to stay. It does sound like Priceline is the way to go for a nice hotel at a good price. The flights and tickets to Wicked cannot be cancelled so we are commited.>>

At least you're not flying Jet Blue, lol. :)

It is easier to get from Midway Airport to downtown than it is from O'Hare airport. You take the Orange Line from Midway airport. How exactly you proceed depends on where you're staying; if you stay in the Loop, you stay on the Orange Line and get off near your hotel in the loop. If you're staying in the River North/NMA area, you switch from the Orange to the Red line at Roosevelt and proceed North on the Red Line to the River North/NMA area. Still, it is a shorter trip from Midway than from O'Hare.

Additionally, while I'm not a flyer, family & friends I know do prefer the smaller Midway over the more hectic and larger O'Hare, but everyone has their preferences.

I'll be happy to provide more specific directions to the hotel and around the city once you get a hotel locked in.

The River North/NMA area is best for tourists new to the city and those who want to be out a little later at night. Some areas of the loop are very quiet at night - not "unsafe" quiet (although you do have to keep your senses about you, like you would in any big city), just literally quiet, and that understandably makes some people uncomfortable. Some of these areas are quiet on weekend mornings, as well. Some areas of the loop - more towards the river - are a bit better. Either way, you will probably have to take a cab back after the play, but you'll find the River North/NMA area in general has more open and more to do if you're out later into the evenings.

You need to be comfortable with whatever bidding strategy you choose to use... but if you understand re-bidding, and how to check your re-bid zones, then i'm not sure what your concern is. If you're not familiar with re-bidding or how to determine your re-bid zones, then you should ask questions to clarify anything that is unclear to you and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (if you choose to use them)

Okay, I bid the $50.00 for The Loop and it was rejected.... now I am petrified to do the rebid zone I'm still not quite sure how to do this... should I pick North Michigan? I did read the guidelines but my computer tends to error out if I have too many windows open

I understand completely about the rebid zones. I have used priceline many times myself and I still get a little nervous once I start using rebid zones (not that I should, but it adds another element and you have to be sure you're doing it correctly, especially in an area you're not familiar with.)

I'm probably not going to explain this well, but rebid zones are zones that do not offer the star rating that you are trying for. They give you another chance in the same day. For example, if your bid for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area wasn't accepted, you would then select Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park 4* and another zone that does not offer a 4*. Priceline would then allow you to bid again, whereas otherwise you would have had to wait 24 hours to bid again on the M/L/Grant Park area.

If you have any questions about rebid zones, please ask. Additionally, if it's not something you're comfortable with (and that's understandable), then you can just do the same bids again in 24 hours if they are not accepted. For example, your bid for 4* Millennium Park/Loop/GP at $50 was not accepted this morning. So, you can make that same bid again in 24 hours.

If you have any questions at all, please ask.

Thanks thereuare and Aaron... I get the rebidding process now - it just took awhile to sink in! I'm glad I lost the first bid as it gave me some time to think about what I was doing and to let it soak in :)

I may bid in the River North area as we would like it a little busier at night - I just need to get up my nerve again. I will start at $65.00 if that sounds right to you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and if you are able to get something. The Loop is not a bad area and it's perfectly fine during the day. It's just when it gets later at night and the workers head home that it can seem almost oddly quiet (for a big city) in some areas. I've walked around in areas the loop occasionally at around 8-9pm and felt like I was pretty much the only one around. For someone new to the city, the quiet could be rather uncomfortable.

In terms of things to do, I'd recommend against spending much time at Navy Pier. Lincoln Park Zoo is a wonderful zoo and the price - free - is certainly good. The Art Institute is a must, and head down to the museum campus to see the Field Museum or Shedd Aquarium.

If you head to the visitor's centers (there are two), they should have coupon books (free) called "Chicago Guidebook of Values". There should be new ones (the current ones expire in April, I think?) by the time you get here. They have coupons off attractions, stores and restaurants.

As for river tour, many will likely recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour, but I've always like the Wendella Boats.

http://www.wendellaboats.com/

Downtown shopping is mainly along Michigan Ave, although there is also shopping along State St (although sadly, Marshall Fields is now Macy's and Carson Pirie Scott is now gone.)

You may also want to check out the shopping in Lincoln Park or along the Oak St. boutiques. (Oak St. is just off Michigan Ave.)

Old Town is also a fun little sidetrip if you happen to go to the Zoo.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]