IL Chicago Hyatt Rosemont Airport OHare

MJRBIM
By MJRBIM,
in

This is a great hotel - FREE parking and hotel shuttle about 10 minutes from the terminals at O'Hare.

Large, clean, well appointed rooms (450 sq ft +) - including a huge bathroom, work area with two-phones (high speed @ $9.95), coffee maker, and small fridge.

King Bed was very comfy and room was quiet.

Staff were great, and 24-hour room service was very good.

I would stay here again if I had another overnighter at O'Hare.

• 1 year later...

Hyatt Rosemont (Jun/2004)

Room: (7/10) Room is clean, quiet and new. Room size is not very large. Most rooms are the same size. Even though this hotel is close to the O'Hare airport but it is pretty quiet. From the room, there is no particular good view since this hotel is neither tall nor near any popular attractions.

Facility: (6/10)

• 1 year later...

This hotel has two good things going for it: it feels new, so the lobby and room both seemed clean and fresh; and it has free parking in a covered garage right next door. I was on a road trip, so I appreciated being able to park my car for free in a covered area. The hotel has a shuttle to the airport, which was a blessing and a curse (I'll explain in a moment).

I was expecting a higher level of service than what I experienced. I thought Hyatt was supposed to be near the high end for hotels, but I think they are resting on their laurels and not following through like they should. Example: when we arrived, we pulled into the circle drive in front of the main entrance. I noticed that the curb said "fire zone". There was no bellhop to be found. I went inside and asked if I could leave my car there during check-in, and I was told that if I got a ticket then the hotel would not be responsible! I was never asked if I need help with my luggage. How do they expect people arriving by car to deal with their luggage if they don't have bellhops and if the front drive is a fire zone??? Fortunately for me I was with a friend, so we unloaded the car, and my friend stayed with our luggage while I drove off and parked.

The lobby/reception area seemed to have a skeleton staff at all times of the day. That was not a problem for me since the lobby was never very busy or crowded during my visit. But as a previous reviewer noted, if it gets busy, then you may have to be patient. A new development is the installation of a self check-in kiosk, so that should speed up the check in/out process if it's busy.

Now, regarding the shuttle. It is shared by the Hyatt Rosemont and the Hyatt O'Hare, which is a much bigger hotel. The shuttle stops at the other Hyatt before stopping at the Rosemont. That was not a problem for us, but I can imagine that if a large group gets on at the other Hyatt, then there may not be room when it comes to the Rosemont if you also have a large group. You may be wondering why I needed the shuttle if I had my own car. Well, I wanted to ride the CTA blue line into downtown, and the easiest way to do that seemed to be to take the shuttle to the airport, and then catch the blue line from there. That worked great when we headed into the city. Upon our return, which was at 11:00 p.m., we got to the airport to find that an entire planeload of people was waiting to go to the Hyatt O'Hare because their flight had been cancelled, and the wait for the shuttle was going to be over 45 minutes. We got back on the blue line and rode one stop over to the Rosemont station, and then we walked up DesPlaines River Road to our hotel, which took about 15 minutes. Even though it was very late, I did not feel at all unsafe (another point in the plus column for this hotel). The bottom line is: the shuttle is convenient, but it does not seem to be designed to handle periods of high demand very well. If you are going to rely on it, be sure to factor in some extra time in case you are needing to use it during a busy period.

I have another gripe about Hyatt, and that is that they charge $9.95 per day to use their internet access. I stayed at an Omni, a Doubletree, and a Fairfield Inn on this trip, and all of them offered free high-speed internet access. I find it very annoying when a hotel charges for this. Enough other chains are offering it for free that it really makes Hyatt look like a bunch of cheap jerks when they charge for it. It's like those in-room coffee makers. So many hotels offer that as a free service that if I went to a hotel that charged for it, I'd be downright offended!

I'm sorry if this "review" is turning into a rant against Hyatt, so let me summarize: this hotel is a great find if you can get it on Hotwire or Priceline. It's clean, quiet, and safe. If you are arriving by car, the free parking is a wonderful amenity. If you are arriving by plane, the shuttle is convenient, but be sure to allot extra time when using it. The on-site restaurant seemed to be geared toward a moderate price-range, but it was a little overpriced nonetheless (small Starbuck's drip coffee: $2.75!). The only other restaurant I saw within walking distance was a McDonald's, and it was about a five minute walk south on DesPlaines River Road. Keep this in mind if you will be there without a car. If "new", "clean", and "fresh", are things you look for in a hotel, then this place is PERFECT. If "service", "pool", and "restaurants" are what you're looking for, then you should look elsewhere.

• 5 months later...

Stayed one night before an early morning flight. Shuttle from the airport was nice and quick.

Staff was very friendly at check in and our request for a smoking room was granted no problem, although she told us they only have 6 smoking rooms. No mention of Hotwire but did ask for a credit card for incidentals. When we walked up we let them know there was an elderly lady on our shuttle and one of the staff immediately went out to see if she needed a wheelchair. Very helpful!

We had a room on the 4th floor. It was large and very clean. So clean in fact the carpet was still very wet where they had cleaned it that day. There was no smokey smell in the hall or in the room. Room was large with a king "Grand" bed full of pillows. Very nice and comfy! Nice easy chair, and 2 nice desk chairs at the desk were in the room. Coffee pot with single serving coffee packets. Took me a minute to figure the coffee maker out. It used go cups like the coffee shops use and you just put your cup in instead of a pot. Good idea for taking the coffee with you.

Bath was large and clean and had various Portico products.

Overall a nice place to stay for a night but not near any restaurants or shopping in walking distance. We ordered delivery pizza. They do have a cafe and lounge and a separate area to get things to go such as cokes, desserts, sandwiches etc.

The only thing I was disappointed in was they did not seem to care when I stopped at the desk and mentioned the wet carpet. No offer to move to another room. I think that all the rooms may have had the same problem though because even the hallways looked wet. Still was very nice overall and would stay there again.

FYI the shuttle driver said the other Hyatt, The Hyatt Regency I believe, that shares the shuttle would be closed until February so we did not have a problem with the shuttle being full as others mentioned.

• 1 year later...

I stayed in this hotel for one night and I thought it was a great value. I won it on priceline for $45 a night. I stayed here because I was leaving out of O'hare the next morning and wanted a hotel with a free shuttle.

We checked in on Sunday and got a room on the top floor. Check in was fast and courteous. The lobby and restaurants were beautiful and modern looking.

We used the fitness center which was clean, up-to-date, and we had it all to ourselves. Parking is $20 a night with in-and-out access. There aren't any restaurants within walking distance. We walked to McDonalds cursing the whole time and hopped a cab on the way back.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a pool but since it is an airport/convention center hotel I wasn't that surprised. Overall I think I got this place for a steal and would be happy to stay there again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]