Priceline Hotel: 3* Provo Marriott

debjcline
By debjcline,
in

I am bidding in an area that only has one zone. I have to wait 24 hours to bid again. I have only won bids four times, so my experience is limited; but each time Priceline has stated, I could add on days by extending the dates before or after the date accepted, for the same price.

If I am wanting to stay 3 days and was not accepted for a bid and bid again starting for one day, or two days etc., is this a good way of trying to get more bidding in an area?

What percentage of the time does Priceline allow you to extend your visit, either way, for the same price?

Your original booking must be 2 nights if you want to stay 3 nights. You can't add more nights then you have in the first booking. (You can't add 2 nights if you only have 1 night booked from the beginning). And please be aware that PL can decline your request for an extended stay. And PL can give you a diffrent rate also for your extra night.

Good luck!

the star level that you select is the minimum that you are willing to accept. You could bid for a 2.5* but get upgraded to a 3*. How does this happen? If your bid is below that which a 2.5* property will accept, but meets or exceeds that which a 3* will accept, then you will get the upgrade.

For example, I wanted to get the 2.5* Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ but added a rebid zone that had 2.5* and 3* properties. I ended up getting upgraded to the 3* Doubletree, which charges about $20 for parking and High Speed Internet and has no free Continental Breakfast.

I have more questions; one in reponse to Yellowdog's answer. Thank you for the answer, I could have made a mistake. I just want to see the odds on this question: I would like to know what percentage of the time does Priceline offer additional nights and if it is generally at the same rate.

To Dahammer; thanks again for answering my questions, you are always very helpful. In regards to your answer, it suprises me, I would have thought that the rate for a *3 star would have been more than a *2 1/2. The *3 star usually have higher rates than a *2 1/2, I don't know why a 2 1/2 would not accept a bid that *3 star would, it's probably very simple, but I don't get it, can you help me?

I just checked the Marriott web site and I did see that a *2 1/2 is the same rates as there *3. I guess this could mean a number of things, one, that there is some sort of convention, etc. that could be using up more of the rooms. I still want to understand this better

I would appreciate any help with the following trip I am making:

I am traveling to Provo, Utah 1/4/07 till' 1/7/07. I have secured my airlines, my rental car (through s.barn) for the dates, but I have not secured my hotel. Provo zone is only one zone. There is only one *3 hotel in that zone, which is the Marriott Convention Center hotel. This is where I would like to stay. The rate that the Marriott is selling a room for is: $89.00. I can find it for $84. on cheaptickets, Expedia had it at the same rates as the hotel: $89. I would like to spend no more than $55 a night and would like to get it for less. I have started bidding at $35, then $40 then $45. That's all I have done. The hotel rate (through the hotel) is lower than it was the last time I stayed there and the other web sites don't show as much difference. They are about the same as the quoted hotel rates. Below is my past experience with bidding the hotel. I know that the last time I stayed was during the Thanksgiving holiday and hotels are usually slow and there was not a ski season yet. Now ski season has taken off and skiers do stay at the hotel, but I was told not a lot. I am also willing to consider a *2 1/2. I just like that hotel.

My past experience with bidding this hotel was the following: This was for the dates of Nov.26th and 27th (the sunday and Monday following Thanksgiving). The rates at the time were $109. through the hotel and $89. through sites like cheaptickets. I bid for nearly a month before for this hotel, I started the bidding $35, I keep raising it every $5 until I got up to the $89. This was the price I saw I could get a room through something like cheaptickets and still I was not accepted. So, I decided to go to Sandy, Utah and bid for a *2 1/2 star and I got the Resisdence Inn for $45. I decided to come out early on Nov. 24th, I knew I could extend my stay at the Resisdence Inn, but I tried for the Provo zone *3 for $45 on the same day, Nov. 24 and 25th and I got it. This had me think that the hotel had released rooms very close to the dates and maybe this is the way they do it. That's why I am not bidding more and am waiting to get closer to the dates. There might be more to than I think and that is why I am asking for help. Thanks

I don't know why a 2 1/2 would not accept a bid that *3 star would, it's probably very simple, but I don't get it, can you help me?

in my example, the 2.5* Country Inn and Suites in the Elizabeth zone was probably close to capacity or sold out, but in an adjacent zone (Newark Airport) the Doubletree may have had lower occupancy, so the management of the 3* Doubletree Hotel may have decided to offer some of its available room inventory to Priceline. The 2.5* hotels in the Newark Airport zone may have been filled as well.

debjcline, one of the key points that you must understand is that on any given night, a hotel may or may not decide to offer room inventory to Priceline.

Thanks again Dahammer

I want to give an update to what I have done to try to secure a room in Provo, Utah, 1/4/07 to 1/7/07. I would appreciate any continuing recommendation.. from anyone.

Since you (Dahammer)said in essence; you never know if a hotel will/will not release rooms for Priceline, I decided to bid for *2 1/2 and *2 hotels in the Provo zone. The top limit I wanted to pay was $50 for a *3. I bid $50 for the *3 and was rejected. Then I bid *2 1/2 for $35 and was rejected. I bid $35 for a *2 and Priceline told me: "If you are willing to raise your price by $9, you can try the same request again right now." So I think that if I raise my price to $9, I could probably get a *2 room for $44, right? Is it the rule, when they give you this offer and you pay, that you can pretty much be assured you will get a room? I have been offered a deal like this before in Salt lake City for *4 Hilton and I got the room when I raised the price to what they wanted. Now I have been reading on this website, that if time allows, I can continue to keep bidding by $1 increments from the $35, to see if I get accepted at a lower price than what they are offering, which I understand, generally happens. I saved the offer for security and I am continuing to bid for the *3 & *2 1/2 every night just in case they release rooms for higher * I want. I am bidding the * 2 1/2 & *3 for $40 to $50., every night. I will probably start to bid the *2 at $36 by Monday and keep raising it to see if I can get the *2 for less than $44. Tell me if I'm wrong or if there are elements or strategy I am not considering. Thanks

I have another question, does anyone think Priceline reads these kinds of websites?

you received a counteroffer which is not considered a rebid, so if your go to $44, you should get the room. I can't recall anyone reporting that a counteroffer was turned down. As far as saving this counteroffer for security, I'm not sure how long this will be valid. Many times I (and many others) have been able to undercut the counteroffer, sometimes by raising my bid by as little as $2. For the sake of saving time since just about all of my bids are for the same day, I usually increase my rebid by about 50% of the counteroffer.

Your dates of travel are fast approaching, I would start to rebid immediately since you don't have any rebid opportunities at the 2* level, you will have to wait 24 hours to rebid. Raising your rebid by $1 per day every 24 hours in an attempt to match the hotel's minimum offer might be successful. But, suppose in the next few days this hotel starts to fill up for your dates and pulls its inventory from Priceline or raises its minimum offer so that even a $44 bid won't be accepted?

Thanks again for responding, Dahammer

I just came away from Priceline (through Savings Barn) and I just had a win (which I will also post as a seperate post). I started bidding for the (only one) *3 for $45 in that area and got rejected (1/4/07 to 1/7/07). then I bid * 2 1/2 for $45 and was rejected. Then I started thinking that the date I am comming in, is on a thursday night and the time I had won this hotel before was for a friday and saturday night, so I changed my dates to 1/5/07 to 1/7/07 and bid the *2 1/2 star for $45 and was accepted, they upgraded me to the *3. Then I hit the tab that allows you to extend your stay and selected the day earlier and was told I had to pay $16 more and I could have the room. I paid the additional price, $61 for 1/4 and $45 each for 1/5 & 1/6. I am generally happy with the outcome, but I think I could have probably got the original rooms (fri and sat) for less than $45, what do you think? My other questions are; you often read that hotels rates are less on the weekend then during the week, do others experience rooms being available for the weekend but not during the week for the same rates and do they bid for the weekend and extend the way I did or is there other ways of approaching this situation? Thanks

I bid numerous times for this *3 star for $45. and $50 and was not accepted. I kept bidding the same price because I thought that maybe the hotel had not released rooms to Priceline yet (or at all). I finally thought maybe thursday night was hanging me up, so I bid for 1/5/07 - 1/7/07 for $45 and was accepted. Then I hit a tab that allowed me to extend my visit, I first bid 1/4/07 for $45, Priceline came back and said I could have the room for $61. I took it.

(you can see more details of my experience with this trip under the topic in the Utah Priceline section: bidding a variation of your length of stay...)

Used SavingsBarn.com.

Provo Zone

Marriott Convention Center Hotel *3 star

101 West 100 North

Provo, Utah 84601

801-377-4700

Check-In Date: Thurs 1/4/07

Check-In Time: After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Sun 1/7/07

Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

*******1/4/07 accepted for $61, 1/5/07-1/7/07 accepted for $45 *******

Your Offer Price: $45

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $45.00

Subtotal: $90.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $18.26

Total Charges for Original Reservation*: $108.26

ADDITIONAL NIGHT CHARGE

Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $61.00

Subtotal: $61.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $14.53

Total Charges for Add. Night Res.*: $75.53

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]