Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Doubletree Club Suites

Keoni
By Keoni,
in

I have been trying for about a month to get the Hyatt on the Hudson for the weekend leading up to Thanksgiving. This would help reduce the cost of the visit to NYC which is the primary purpose and based upon all the rave reviews I was focused on getting this hotel. Unfortunately, greed set in. After numerous bids on many occasions staying in the $30, $35, $40

range I upped the ante on my last try to bid as follows:

Nites of Nov 19 - 22 $60 Rejected

Nites of Nov 19 - 21 $65 Thinking to add 22nd if successful, Rejected

Nites 0f Nov 19 - 23 $70 Congrats ...Doubletree Club Suites :)

4 Nights @ $70 = $280

Taxes & Priceline fees = $47.55

Hilton.com's lowest price for this timeframe is $119.00 per night plus tax

so the price is ok.

Having read other posts regarding the Doubletree and Hyatt, parking is a

concern. Does anyone know the parking situation at the Hyatt and price?

I need to find a place to leave the car while trying for a 3 or 4 star in

Manhatten for Nov 23 - 27.

I believe the Hyatt charges ~$25/day for parking, but guests can also self-park nearby and get a sticker from the hotel so that you only have to pay $18/day.

Board member squeegeekid elected to find parking on the street and you can read about the unfortunate results HERE.

I just called the DoubleTree and they said the charge for parking is $10/day. I told them that i would be staying at the hotel and then checking out and staying in the city... could i still keep my car there while i'm not a guest for the same $10/day and i was told 'yes'. Of course, your stay is over 10 months away and policies can change, but i'd be happy to double check for you again a few weeks before your stay.

Unless you want to park on the street in a nearby neighborhood, i don't know how much cheaper you'll get than $10/day. If you really don't want to pay for parking at all i can look into some "Park N Ride" options (lots used mostly by commuters) where you could probably leave your car and then take the bus into NYC, but some of them charge (some don't) and i don't know the policy on overnight parking... and these would certainly be less convenient.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

FWIW last time I stayed in New Jersey I parked my car next to a "ethnic" supermarket (at least for me...I have NEVER seen that many chinese and latin food-items in a single store) that is a little away from the Newport/Pavonia station and walked about five minutes to the station to take the PATH to downtown New York.

I had no problem with that, however I only stayed there for a single day and not overnight.

Greetings - Dirk

That supermarket would be "Foodmart International" and they are no longer there (not by choice, they lost their lease at this location and were forced out). The area surrounding the property is now fenced off so you can't even enter the driveway... but by the time November comes around the Target store which will occupy this space should be open.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare and Dirk,

Thanks for the replies. Actually, $10 a day for a parking garage at the Hotel seems very reasonable.

I am very excited about this trip and am looking forward

to a real adventure both in Jersey City and NYC. I have

scoured the posts and will try to be a good member and

contributor to this forum. I am a big believer in small business and will support the Savingsbarn site whenever

I do my leisure travel. Again, thanks for helping with my

trip. Regards, Keoni

• 5 months later...

I am considering taking a "China Town" express bus from Washington DC that would arrive in Manhatten at approximately 10 or 10:30

pm on a Friday night. I would then need to get to the Doubletree Club Suites in Jersey City with my wife and a couple of Suitcases. The dropoff points are:

88 E. Broadway or 7th/W 34th Street. Which would be the better option

for the dropoff and connection to the Doubletree? Seems like maybe W 34th is close to Penn Station and a direct connect to the PATH. Also, would we be awarded the "stupid" sign for moving about at 11 pm with suitcases clearly indicating "TOURIST!" This board is great and I really

appreciate all the good advice and patience with us lowlanders...

Thanks, Keoni

Here are the pros/cons to each of your choices:

E. B'way - Chinatown, hard to get around, lots of people on narrow sidewalk. You'll need to take a cab to the WTC PATH station (about $5, not bad considering the meter is $2.50 + .50 nite surcharge), then transfer from one PATH train to another (where you tranfer depends upon what time you actually get there, system switches schedules at ~11:10pm)

7th/W.34th - Penn Station is a one block walk to PATH train. No need to transfer but depending upon the time will determine if you commute it 'normal' time or an extra 5 minutes

Now that i'm typing all of this out i think the better option is the midtown location. The train actually won't be very crowded at that hour and you' should have plenty of room for you and your luggage.

PS- the connection from Penn Station to PATH is only one block but it is 'above ground'. I walk East on 32nd St and feel safe although it's not the nicest of streets (it's somewhat deserted at that hour and there will be some homeless sleeping in the area) but as an out-of-towner i would walk East down 34th as it will be a bit more populated. Takes you a block or two out of your way but you may be more comfortable doing so.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe the Hyatt charges ~$25/day for parking, but guests can also self-park nearby and get a sticker from the hotel so that you only have to pay $18/day.

Update: I just returned from one night at the Hyatt and as of 3 July 04 they charge $30 per night for Hotel valet parking.

I think we're talking about the Doubletree (and not the Hyatt) so here is info regarding getting to the DoubleTree:

The DoubleTree is closest to the Pavonia/Newport station.

Take a look at this PATH SYSTEM MAP.

During 'peak' times the solid train lines run (Green, Red, Blue, and Yellow)... notice the Blue/Yellow line doesn't run.

Durring 'off-peak' times the only train lines that run are the Red and the Blue/Yellow.

So during 'peak' times you can take the Green line directly from WTC to Pavonia/Newport.

During 'off-peak' times there is not direct service from WTC to Pavonia/Newport. So you'll have to take the Red line to Grove Street where you an transfer to the Blue/Yellow line to Pavonia/Newport.

On the other hand thru Midtown:

Peak: Yellow Line to Pavonia/Newport

Off-Peak: Blue/Yellow Line to Pavonia Newport (no transfer requried)

It's not entirely clear from the map but the Blue/Yellow line start in Manhattan, goes to Hoboken, then proceeds to Journal Square.

You can see what constitutes peak/off-peak at the link above in the box on the left of the map.

Hope that clears it up but ask any questions you may have.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]