Hotwire Hotel: 4* Miami (North Beach-Sunny Isles) Trump International Sonesta Beach

Daniel1978
By Daniel1978,
in

Hi everyone,

can anybody help identifying the following 2,5* property in Miami Beach, FL (Miami Beach zone) ?

Amenities: Near beach, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Laundry Facilities.

Dates are 11/22 - 11/24. Price shown is $52, "Best Value".

My best guess would be the Atlantic Oceanfront Hotel (formerly Fairfield Inn & Suites), but I'm not quite sure which other hotels could come up since the Hotwire hotel list doesn't show any properties at 2,5* level.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Daniel

this one's pretty tough, I just checked the Hotwire Packages and these exact amenities don't match anything that's available. (runNgun is obviously a faster on the keyboard!! :) )

I am thinking about the Days Inn Oceanside? Some of the Miami Beach properties at the 2.5* level could suffer from Hotwire "star rating inflation" by .5*. Have you tried bidding at the 3* level on Priceline?

Thank you so far.

No, I did not bid on Priceline's 3* level, because I am quite scared of the hotels to expect - especially the New Casablanca which has bad reviews). Some of them have so-so reviews, and it seems like many of them are not worth the money.

On Priceline's 3* level, it is also likely that the Miami Beach Resort & Spa will come up, since it appears on Hotwire as 3,5* Best Value (at least it is a match with the Hotwire hotel list). Reviews are quite good, but I've checked the surrounding on my navigation system, and it seems like there is absolutely NOTHING around (restaurants, shops, etc.).

The Atlantic Oceanview Hotel seems to be a good location, since South Beach is not far away, it's clean and has a good beach access AND complimentary breakfast.

Since you two do not recommend giving it a shot on Hotwire, I think I'll go for the rack rate which is $84.

Has anyone experience with bidding for 3* on Priceline ? Can you determine which hotel is likely to come up when Hotwire shows specific hotels ?

Thank you - Daniel

Since you two do not recommend giving it a shot on Hotwire, I think I'll go for the rack rate which is $84.

I will speak for myself, Daniel...I am willing to take a risk for a one night stay, but in Miami Beach on vacation (or do you call it Holiday?) I might not want to take a risk at the 2.5* level especially when it is difficult to identify the property. This could be a perfectly fine hotel, you may want to take a look at this Miami Beach thread to see what I mean regarding identity. If you can use the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding, that would be appreciated as well. You should book a cancellable backup and "bump" this thread in a few days, Thereuare should be back from his holiday vacation :)

PS, your travel dates are concurrent with our Thanksgiving Holiday, so maybe others are going to have their turkey on the beach! :)

Can you determine which hotel is likely to come up when Hotwire shows specific hotels ?

if the hotel is not on our list, and this list is only as good as those who report wins to the board, it is sometimes possible to figure out the identity of the property by using Hotwire "packages" where airfare and hotel are combined and the name of the hotel is displayed. You may find several hotels with similar amenities listed and some hotels may leave off an amenity so as to remain opaque.

good luck

I will speak for myself, Daniel...I am willing to take a risk for a one night stay, but in Miami Beach on vacation (or do you call it Holiday?) I might not want to take a risk at the 2.5* level especially when it is difficult to identify the property. This could be a perfectly fine hotel, you may want to take a look at this Miami Beach thread to see what I mean regarding identity.

This is exactly what I am scared of - expecting one specific hotel and getting a totally different one. Neither do I want to take a risk on Hotwire, and your previous posts just support my initial feelings that I could end up in a way I really don't want to.

If you can use the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding, that would be appreciated as well. You should book a cancellable backup and "bump" this thread in a few days, Thereuare should be back from his holiday vacation :)

PS, your travel dates are concurrent with our Thanksgiving Holiday, so maybe others are going to have their turkey on the beach! :)

if the hotel is not on our list, and this list is only as good as those who report wins to the board, it is sometimes possible to figure out the identity of the property by using Hotwire "packages" where airfare and hotel are combined and the name of the hotel is displayed. You may find several hotels with similar amenities listed and some hotels may leave off an amenity so as to remain opaque.

good luck

Considering that there are only 2 weeks remaining until this stay, I think I will either pay the rack rate of the Atlantic Oceanfront or move to a different zone (Miami Beach North), where you can get 4* hotels for reasonable prices. At the moment, Hotwire has an offer of $119 for a 4* in that zone, which I expect to be either the Trump Sonesta Beach Resort or the Le Meridien. Even if I end up with the Doubletree Oceanfront Resort, this is fine with me because all of those hotels look great. The risk of getting a bad hotel should be very very low on this star level.

Thank you so far

Daniel

PS: believe it or not - I've learned both words at school :o

I, personally, am a slight bit scared of the $84 rate hotel as there is a reason that it's not a Fairfield Inn and Suites anymore. Usually it means Marriott had issues (quality, non payment of royalites, etc) with the hotel.

Regarding room and service quality / cleanliness, this hotel has a good rating on TripAdvisor. Nevertheless, one must consider that this is a basic hotel with standard service and amenities. The only reason I would target this hotel over a North Beach hotel is the location, which is MUCH closer to South Beach.

Who is familiar with the 4* hotels in North Miami Beach ? How big is the chance to get something else than the Doubletree Oceanpoint Resort, Trump Sonesta or Le Meridien ?

Regards,

Daniel

Hi everybody,

I have booked a 4* hotel in the Miami Beach North - Sunny Isles zone with the following amenities:

Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, High-speed internet, Tennis, Spa, Children's activity program.

Dates are 11/22 - 11/26 at a rate of $119, in total $540.81

I have seen that many of you have wondered which hotel this could possibly be, and it is the

Trump International Sonesta Beach Resort Miami .

Cheapest rate available on Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity"]Travelocity was $224.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Thank you, runNgun :)

A few more words about this hotel win: Before purchasing this hotel I performed a package search (Flight+Hotel) on Hotwire, which found the Trump Int. Sonesta and Le Meridien as the only 4* properties in this zone. Le Meridien had only a few amenity icons, whereas the Trump showed all of the icons that were displayed in the opaque service. Plus, when performing a search on Expedia and Travelocity"]Travelocity, it shows almost the same rates for Le Meridien and Trump Int. Sonesta, with the slight difference that the Trump seems to be on sale with 10 or 20 % off the rack rate.

Therefore, I was pretty sure to get the Trump which I targeted over the Le Meridien, especially because of the complimentary shuttle service to South Beach and other benefits.

Of course I tried to save a few bucks by bidding on Priceline, but up to $112 I did not even get a counteroffer. The next step would have been a bid of $115, which would have come to a grand total of $535, thus only $5 less than Hotwire.

Since the only reported 4* property on Priceline was Le Meridien, I decided to purchase via Hotwire just to keep the chance up to get the Trump. This was successful.

Regards,

Daniel

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]