cruise question

whenpigsfly
By whenpigsfly,
in

We are thinking of doing a 16 day Transatlantic crossing this fall and were trying to decide between an inside cabin and an outside cabin. We have travelled with inside cabins before on 7 day cruises and love it. slept really well in the nice dark space. But 16 days is a long time to live in a closet! Second si the issue of seasickness on a transotlintic crossing. I have no experience but some of the reviews 've read and sometimes transatlintic crossings can hit rough water. If so a window would be nice to see a horizon.

Any thoughts? We can think of a ton of fun ways to spent the $300 dollars along the way.

Thanks

I usually expect the price difference between inside/outside to be $100 (on a 7 day cruise)... so doubling that for a 16 day makes $300 seem a little expensive for the upgraded cabin. If you do get seasick you'll probably by lying in bed (for which you won't likely be looking outside) or be outside on a lounge chair getting fresh air... neither of which would utilize the window of an outside cabin.

With the above noted, i have sailed multiple times and haven't had an inside cabin yet, as my wife doesn't like the idea of not having a window. We also sleep great on cruises, but since we've never had an inside cabin, we attribute it to the motion of the ship, so your restful sleep may not be soley due to the darkness of the cabin.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm used to seeing lots bigger differences than $100 for a 7-night cruise, but transatlantics and repositioning cruises are notoriously inexpensive -- relatively (most people tend to avoid these because of the expensive 1-way flights).

We're doing a 14 nighter next March from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton (we live in Germany and I was able to book reasonable one-way flights with LTU from DUS to MIA) and I just don't think I'd be happy for that length of time in an inside cabin. We've booked an outside - not a balcony, because I think the Atlantic is probably not going to offer balcony weather in March - and pretty far down. Whichever cabin you take, it's probably advisable to be as midships as possible and on one of the lower decks if you tend to get at all seasick. With so many seadays, you may want to spend more time in your cabin - reading or whatever - and it's really nice to have daylight coming in your window.

Happy sailing -- we love it. :)

P.S. A great website for general cruise information is www.cruisecritic.com

• 4 months later...

Agreed that although the price difference between inside and outside room may be more, I don't usually pay more than $100 extra to get the outside room on a 7 day cruise.

On a transatlantic, I'd probably be less inclined to get an outside room, as it's not like you're pulling into port every day! There really isn't anything to look at. So if it were me at that price I would probably save the $ and get an inside room.

You can always go up top to see when you pull into port!

• 2 weeks later...

When I booked my cruise, I booked an inside cabin, and got upgraded to an outside view (I've heard this is very rare). I recommend outside view, because then you would be able to tell whether it is day or night and your body clock won't get as screwed up. Occasionally you can see another ship in the distance at night. Also mid ship is where you want to be so you don't get as motion sick. Trans-atlantic crossings I have heard can be very rough, especially if there is a storm system spinning in the Atlantic. So if you can afford it, I recommend getting an ouside view. Also go to cruisecritic.com to help you plan.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]