CA San Diego Howard Johnson Inn (on Rosecrans)

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

This is rated by Expedia as a 2*. However, it's a two-story motel building with exterior entry which often means 1* on other services.

The lobby and rooms are a little tired-looking, but the non-smoking room with two queens (as requested) was quite presentable.

This would be in the Old Town-Sports Arena area if bidding on Priceline. However, for us I think the location of this place is more convenient than either the Marriott Courtyard or Holiday Inn Express near Old Town, both of which come up on Priceline. The area is a busy commercial zone, with no particular view or ambiance, but very central. You can get buses that go to most tourist attractions within a half-block of the hotel. There is a good-size shopping center across the street, with a supermarket, Jamba Juice, Einstein's Bagels, and various chain stores.

The breakfast was not as good as described on the web site, but at least you can get complimentary juice and coffee.

There is an adjoining Mexican restaurant that serves large portions at reasonable prices.

There was a guest laundry, which I find very convenient.

If we go to San Diego again and do not have a car, I would definitely consider booking here if the price is reasonable. Note that the Days Inn, Comfort Inn, and Super 8 are all on the same block or across the street.

I just looked at the maps carefully again, and I think this hotel might actually be just outside the Old Town - Sports Arena zone on Priceline, although it is hard to tell. It would help if Priceline identified the boundary streets clearly.

It would be in the San Diego International Airport zone, though, on Hotwire.

• 4 years later...

The zones have changed since WillTravel's review. Howard Johnson's is now in the Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town zone. The hotel has also been renovated in the last year.

First bid of $40 accepted. Could I have won it for less?

Howard Johnsons SeaWorld

3330 Rosecrans Street

San Diego, CA 92110

This was a very good value. Parking, internet, and breakfast all free. Microwave and refrigerator in room. Hotel has been recently redecorated. Carpet, drapes, and furniture almost new. Attractive art on the walls. Exterior recently repainted and the parking lot was being repaved the day I was there. Two story motel with exterior doors facing the parking lot. Outdoor pool was small for the number of rooms and guests.

Hotel caters to families visiting SeaWorld on a budget. On a strip of Rosecrans with other similar hotels...Days Inn, Super 8, the usual suspects. To my eye HoJo's looked like the best of the lot. Maids keep doors open when cleaning and all the rooms I saw had two beds. My room had a queen bed plus a bunk bed (!) for kiddies.

Not a pretty area of San Diego. Rosecrans is a very busy street. Good area if you need to fill a perscription: Walgreens, CVS, and Long's within 2 blocks. Lots of fast food, chain restaurants, and liquor stores. HoJo's guests get 15% off at Sizzler or free nachos appetizers at the Mexican restaurant next door. 1.5 miles to SeaWorld, which is the main reason people stay here.

The hotel's main issue, and it's potentially a big one, is that the walls are thin. The couple next door didn't talk much but when they did I could hear what they were saying. Later I could hear the man snoring as if he was in my room. Luckily he was just an intermittent snorer...5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, with hours of quiet in between. It wasn't a problem for me but with the wrong neighbors it could be a long night here.

I liked it well enough to try Add a Night. I got a counteroffer of $47. I passed and went someplace else. The night I won at $40 was $99 online. The $47 night was $119.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]