Travel Tips

MattDiggs
By MattDiggs,
in

All,

I am looking to stay in Southern California (no real preference) between the 5th and the 13th.

The only catch - we have a dog that my wife will not go anywhere witout. A very small dog, but a dog nonetheless. We are looking for a great deal at a place that will be pet friendly.

Any ideas?

There would be no way to use Priceline or Hotwire, as there'd be no absolute 100% guarantee that you'd end up at a pet-friendly hotel.

I would check out the Kimpton Hotels website, as they are pet friendly (they even have pet packages and at least some of their hotels have actual animal "pet ambassadors"). Do you have a max you'd want to spend per night?

Aaron,

I know there's not a 100% guarantee, but if I can narrow down some of the good deals and make it 80% likely I would get one, or use the hotwire matching tools here and figure out which may be pet friendly and which may not be pet friendly, perhaps I can get lucky.

One time, in Albuquerque, I bid for a 2.5 star hotel - because most of the 2.5 star hotels were pet friendly (Holiday inn express, la quinta inn and suites) - and it upgraded me to a downtown highrise - we snuck the dog in, but it was a little stressful.

I am only wanting to spend about 50 dollars a day at least now - may raise that higher later. A friend of mine is a general manager at a Marriott, so I have the potential to get the friends and family rate as well - but none of the marriotts in southern CA which are pet friendly are offering the rate during the times we are going.

Thanks for your help - I've never heard of the Kimpton brand, of course, $319 a night in San Diego is a little out of my range!

thereuare,

2-star hotel in Downey - Commerce - Norwalk

(Pool and Laundry Facilities) -- $44 a night. Retail of 70 dollars.

2 star hotel at LAX

(Shuttle, Pool, High Speed, Breakfast, Laundry) -- $48 a night. Retail of 73 dollars.

3-star hotel in Downey - Commerce - Norwalk

Best Value. Fitness Center. Restaurant. Pool. -- $52 a night. No retail mentioned.

After that it gets up. I checked your hotel list, and I didn't see any mention of Downey/Commerce/Norwalk - but that could be a new area that was some other area at some other time.

The 3 star hotel looks like it could be interesting.

The 2* hotel in LAX is a match for the Travelodge.. the other two have not yet been identified (although the 2* in the Downey zone may be the Comfort Suites, but not so confident that i'd recommend buying it based upon that specific proerty being pet friendly)

There are 3* and 3.5* hotels offered in the LAX zone for $60 and under... are these beyond your budget, as they'd certainly seem to represent better value than a 2* for $48.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...
One time, in Albuquerque, I bid for a 2.5 star hotel - because most of the 2.5 star hotels were pet friendly (Holiday inn express, la quinta inn and suites) - and it upgraded me to a downtown highrise - we snuck the dog in, but it was a little stressful.

Great job, I hope you're proud of yourself!

Great job, I hope you're proud of yourself!

Very proud. i have a dog that doesn't shed, doesn't urinate or deficate on the floor, it is 11 pounds and a part of my family - but because of some inane rules, I can't take her to the same places kids who do the same dang thing can go to - so I have no ethical or moral issue sneaking a dog in - because of the 25 times I've done it - I have not once gotten a phone call suspecting that there was a pet in the room when there shouldn't be. Our dog doesn't leave a mess or a trail.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]