Priceline Hotel: 4* Montreal Omni Mont Royal Hotel

AppleHead
By AppleHead,
in

Greetings,

thanks for the site by the way. just finding out about the "rebid" options is worth the price of admission (so to speak). Okay, I am attending a conference in downtown Montreal from 3/17 to 3/21. I have already booked a refundable room at the conference hotel (Le Centre Sheraton, a 4* I think, according to PL) for the conference rate of 150CAN/115US. After taxes this will cost me about $515US (the exchange rate is fluctuating all over the place recently) for the four nights. I would like to get a 4* in downtown Montreal [zero flexibility on area given the location of the conference hotel] for no more than $70US per night (and obviously less) if possible.

Last night I bid $62 (rejected), then [adding a new rebid region each time] $65, $67, and $70; all were rejected.

I have got months to go here I know and I am patient enough to keep bidding. However, am I following a good bidding strategy? Here's some data:

3/17-3/21

($CAN/$US)

Marriot Chateau Champlain $184/$142

Sofitel $159/$122 [special internet rate]

Hyatt Regency $155/$120

Thank you.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm pleased to hear you enjoy the site and have already learned a bit in the meantime.

I think you're strategy is sound (i assume you're leaving off the airport zone when bidding 4*, which is correct), but your maximum bid amount may be a bit low. I know there is a reported win for $63, but demand for that date may have been extremely low (due to the cold winter) and for your March dates may be a bit more typical (due to Springtime coming and the conference in town).

Most of the 4* bids we see in this are are around the $80 area, and i would sooner recommend a $70, $75, $80, $85 bid sequence (or even 70, 75, 78, 81 if you're very price sensitive). I'm not saying you have to raise your bid, but at this point in time $70 is too low and i think raising an extra $10 may make all the difference... but this is something only you can decide if it's worthwhile.

Another option is that we often see big price drops between 3* and 4* bidding in this zone. Don't know if you're willing to drop to the 3* level or not, but doing so would like be significantly cheaper.

Let us know if any of the above sound appealing.

If you do decide to move forward, either with the same bid amounts are raising to those suggested, it's always appreciated if you start your bids at SavingsBarn.com

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

too low, huh? hmm. My concern is that if I go too much higher I price myself into a situation where I might be better off sticking with the conference hotel and not worrying about commuting back and forth (assuming the PL choice is somewhat distant from the conference hotel, which with my luck it will certainly be). Just out of curiosity, what would your recommended bidding strategy be for 3*s in downtown Montreal? thanks.

I understand your reluctance of spending more and being far from the Conference Hotel. I don't know much about the area, how big it is, and/or transportation options... some other board members that know the area better may be able to add some insight.

We have seen 3* hotels in this zone generally go for $32-$53/nite. Unfortunately there are no re-bid zones at the 3* level with Priceline, so you would just have to try every 72 hours, increasing your bid a little each time, but common winning bid amounts are $32, $35, $43, and $53.

Another option is Hotwire. When i looked at your dates earlier today there were 3* and 3.5* hotels in the mid-$50's (keep in mind Hotwire often rates hotels the same as or half a star higher than Priceline). There is a good chance that you might be able to figure out the hotel by comparing the star and amenities shown to those in our Hotwire Hotel List. No guarantees of course, but if you can figure it out and that hotel happens to be close to the conference hotel, it would probably be worth the few extra dollars that Hotwire usually costs more than Priceline.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above and/or if we can help further given the additional information.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was in Montreal last Christmas (2002); they have got a great subway line; it goes all over the place and cabs are an easy option. Still, I'd rather just walk a block if that was possible.

Hotwire right now has one 3.5* for downtown Montreal; it goes for $62. Judging from your list of hotels and the amenities posted it looks like it is the Delta. The Delta is about 4 miles from the conference hotel. I checked TripAdvisor and the reviews of the Delta were pretty evenly divided; either it was Nirvana or a visit to the local garbage dump (makes you wonder if they could all be talking about the same hotel). There is a 3* for $60 but it's amenities dont match any on your list so I have no inkling what or where it is.

Since I've still got over 2 months before the conference I am going to keep plugging away on PL. I will keep an eye on Hotwire to see if anything comes up. I'll keep you posted.

:) Success! I inched up my bids somewhat and it payed off....

Again, gunning for a 4*, I started at US$65 rejected, $67 rejected, $72 rejected and finally scored with $76 at the OMNI. As I had posted previously I really wanted to keep to $70 or less for a 4* but $6 a night more is fine, especially since the Omni is just 3 blocks from the conference hotel (Le Centre Sheraton). I can hoof it or if I am especially lazy I can take a cheap cab ride. Many, many thanks for the website and sage advice; I am sure I would have ended up paying much more without your help. I estimate that I saved about $180 total over staying at the conference hotel.

Hi Applehead,

I'm new to this board, but not new to Priceline Bidding. We also got the Omni Mont Royal in downtown Montreal 2 nights in July 2002. Oh, you will love this place! You may even see the stars! Bette Midler stays there, as well as Michael Jackson, also the opera singer - Pavorotti, and Celine Dion even had her Honeymoon there. (Sorry I probably spelled many of those famous names wrong.) This hotel is wonderful. The room was beautifully decorated and large. Bathroom was huge. Lighted closet, bathrobes, great soaps and shower gels in the bathroom. The desk was wonderful to us! They all spoke fantastic English. I think there is a Hotel Loyalty program for the Omni. Although you wouldn't get points or anything, they might give you a nicer room. You never know. I didn't know about such things, back when we got the Omni, but still we got a remarkable corner room on a high floor. By the way, our bid was $74, and that was 1 1/2 yrs. ago, so things haven't gone up much.

Congratulations on your bid! You did a fantastic job!

Pomcoach :) :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]