Insurance from Priceline and Hotwire is useless

goldendeal
By goldendeal,
in

The insurance offered by priceline and hotwire through a company called Access America in my opinion is a scam. This is what happened, last month my flight to Honolulu from Houston was canceled due to what I was told weather related issues, I read the 10 page small print they issue you when you purchase the insurance, its somewhat confusing so I called Access America the insurance I bought through priceline and hotwire, and they informed me that No, weather related issues are not included in the insurance, only if its a mechanical problem. I was disappointed but figured it must be in the small print somewhere. Well, about an hour later after talking to several Continental employees, come to find out it was indeed a mechanical issue with one of the Continetantal planes and that

what am I missing? You're last Hawaii thread was for a stay in September '06....that was about 3 weeks ago, did you take this trip? How did you book your flight, Priceline and Hotwire are two different means of booking airfare....so who did you book through and what was the rate and dates of travel? This may be of benefit to others and it closes out a thread which you started.

thanks!

If you read the post carefully you will see I named both priceline and hotwire. Since my trip consisted of two different hotels, two different rental cars, and four separate airlines tickets, I used both priceline and hotwire, depending on price, location, type of car and many other factors that determined which supplier I used. The winning bids were months ago. Little use to anyone now. This latest thread has nothing to do with my winning bids as its under Off Topic: Run of House...But I will research my credit card statements to find out what month the actual bidding took place and post accordingly in hopes that it may indeed benefit someone. Hope this helps. Thanks

But I will research my credit card statements to find out what month the actual bidding took place

...or you could save a bunch of time and go to Hotwire and Priceline and click on the tabs for "MY TRIPS" and look there for the details.

PS, it appears that you posted a conclusion to the first leg of your Hawaii trip, but the second leg, flight, and rental car topics seem to have drawn considerable interest from others on the board, just look at the number of views. Your actual stay was just about two weeks ago, so contributing your winning bid info helps to make this board a valuable, free, resource.

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks! :)

Oh im just having a little fun but I will use a different strategy next time. :) :)

The laughable issue is no one cares about the crappy insurance post, all they want to know is my winning bids that were over 4 months ago. I think I did post most of my winning bids, maybe a few slipped through, don

I think it sucks that these guys are giving you such a hard time. For all the b!tching here about TOBB, I would think you'd get more sympathy here. Maybe it's not that different.

I also think what happened to you with the insurance sucks. I would fight it. You're exactly right -- if it doesn't cover weather or mechanical failure, what else can there be? If it's not too late, dispute the charges through the credit card company, write formal letters to PL and HW and the insurance company, copy the BBB and perhaps the FTC or AGs office. I suspect you're out quite a bit of money, given that this was a family trip to Hawaii. You bought insurance, so I don't see how they could think you're trying to scam them or get something for nothing. Keep fighting it and good luck!

I was surprised myself at some of the reaction or should I say over reaction to my comments. I would like to believe it just an individual who misunderstood my post or decided not to read it in its entirety. Whatever the case, I did indeed post my winnings at time of bidding and just a little effort by the misinformed poster would verify that. I see this quite a bit of this on certain boards where there are a few individuals who take it upon themselves to be the ultimate Authority on all issues. I did not however think it would happen here. I do my best to help travelers here who have questions about certain subjects I might have insight into; I have also seen a few questions by members that for some reason go unanswered. And I feel that

As you can see from the above wins you referenced:

4* Big Island (Kohala Coast) Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

$199 ... 9/15/06-9/19/06

OGG Kahului Convertible (Company??)

$35 ... 9/19/06-9/24/06

There is still an unresolved portion of your stay, 9/19/06-9/24/06, which is the portion of your trip linked above which you were asked above to follow-up on... and to the best of my knowledge still remains unresolved.

I will defend all actions by anyone who posts on the board in an attempt to help others. If another user asks for a follow-up to a thread before they choose to help (which i agree with!)... then you can choose to either follow-up that post or wait to see if somebody else is willing help/comment. As runNgun pointed out above, I think you chose the harder (third) route and decided to argue the point rather than simply follow-up the requested thread.

We have very few 'rules' here (a difference LVBlvd seems to have overlooked... as well as the fact that this thread likely would have been deleted long ago elsewhere) but one of the policies we try to adhere to is that all 'open' posts have a conclusion before receiving further help... this helps keep the board better organized and is also respectful to anyone who took the time to help (i think everyone who does offer assistance does care, and there is satisfaction in hearing results and knowing if the assistance provided resulted in success or not... as well, reports if failed attempts leads us all to tweak our future strategies a bit).

I appreicate your comments above realizing the effort that goes into keeping this board running, organized, and online. As the board continues to grow at a very rapid pace, the time required to manage it, as well as the expenses required to keep it going, continues to increase as well... we can certainly use the support of all members by using our links whenever their travel plans allow. Just as it's only fair that users follow-up their threads, it's only fair that those who use the information here help support it.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You are correct, except I don't come here to argue though, I just thought it was pointless to post a winning bid several months after the fact. To me this leads to confusion, as I doubt the prices would be current. Plus this thread was about insurance that's why I placed it in off topic. . Didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments. Please don't analyze this post and come out with something negative in it, its just my opinion and nothing else. After all, I didn't mind too much being ridden about my phantom missing post :) if anything I found it amusing. And believe me I know about being deleted else where, but I wont say much about that, I believe if you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all :)...........by the way, if it helps anyone, the car company was Hertz.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, letter from Continental, just as I thought, they say they are not resposinsible for engine #2 failure causing the flight to be delayed/canceled. First off this is not what they told me at the airport, I was told the total opposite that they would reimburse me for expenses caused by this flight. This is not my first run in with Continental since it's my hometown airlines. They are notorious for saying one thing then doing another. The letter states they are not responsible for mechanical issues? My question is, if they are not who is? This is just another run around from a company that refuses to take responsibility. Since they are my city's airline, I have little choice when flying them since they are so dominate in this area. In the future Ill look at other airlines first before flying.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a round of calls to Continental, they tried to make it right. I understand their point of view, but I explained to them I was promised things at the airport and later was told a different story. We have reached a compromise that I feel is fair for both parties. I will now continue to fly Continental and although I didn't appreciate the run around and feel they could have made it right the first time, they did however try to make it right in the end :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]