Hotwire Hotel: Chicago Gold Coast-Help Id 4*

versley
By versley,
in

Trying for December 16-20 and have been watching Hotwire for months. This morning I found they have a 4* North Michigan Ave/Gold Coast hotel for $79 with fitness, restaurant, business, and internet. Listed as customer favorite.

This matches the Drake, the Westin, and the Intercontinental, however in the hotel list only the Intercontinental lists Customer Favorite. Can I be pretty sure it is the Intercontinental or could one of the others have added customer favorite? I am a smoker and since the Westin is non smoking would rather not stay there. Has anyone had the Westin come up as a customer favorite? 2 out of 3 is not bad odds at such a good price.

The Westin is showing the cheapest rates at their web site beating the Intercontinental by $20 on their site and the Drake is still way more. ($169, $189, $269 respectively)

Thanks for any help!

The Customer Favorite designations change frequently (and even from search-to-search) so it is not a reliable way to figure out the hotel in question.

Please remember to use this HOTWIRE link for any purchases you make.

Let su know how it goes if you decide to take the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For those dates on HOTWIRE, I see a 4* in the Water Tower/Gold Coast/NMA area with the amenities: fitness/business/restaurant/hi-speed. $79.

The Intercontinental is a Mag Mile/Wacker Drive zone hotel, so this would not be that. It would either potentially be the Westin, Ambassador East or Drake.

Given the customer comments and the tripadvisor rating, I am 99% certain that this would be the Ambassador East.

The Ambassador East is an older hotel in the very nice Gold Coast area - it's the furthest hotel North in the downtown area on both Priceline (which rates it a boutique) and Hotwire (which rates it 4*). The hotel used to be one of the city's most famed, with celebrities often visiting both the hotel and the Pump Room restaurant (there is a wall of photos in the lobby.)

I stayed there when it was an Omni (I believe it was an Omni for almost exactly 20 years) and it was quite nice. There's not much in the way of amenities at all (not even a gift shop; if you need anything, you have to head to the CVS down the street) and maybe I lucked out, but I thought it was a comfy, "home"-y room.

The hotel was sold by Omni at the beginning of this year and there are indications that it will go all or partially condo at some point in the future. I have not stayed there since it was an Omni, but the reviews seemed to go downhill right after it was sold.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]