London - Tipping

wishful
By wishful,
in

Hello All,

I'm getting ready for my 2nd trip to London and I thought I'd ask about tipping. Last year I asked people from my job who have lived in London, and they said absolutely no tipping ever. The guidebooks in general said no tipping, or just give the change.

In actuality, our experience was:

• The hotel bellmen accepted tips - he actually waited around for a bit. This was awkward as I was not used to the currency, I think I gave him 1 pound per bag, but it may have been 1 pence - sorry to whomever that was.
  • A server at an informal, but table-serving snack bar sneered at me when I asked if it would be polite to leave something
  • For our cab driver, I was going to leave him the change, but it was about 2 pence, so I gave him a 2 pound tip which he was very happy with - about a 5 minute cab ride in traffic that cost 8 pounds I think
  • At our hotel, the snack bar/cafe had a space for tips on the receipt if you charged to your room, since we paid in cash, I left about a 1 pound tip which got me a nice smile from a cute server
  • Our bus tour guide told everyone that a tip basket was at the front of the bus

I think we left a small tip - 1 pound/day for housekeeping, but I remember that we were always out of coffee on the in-room tray, so maybe not...

I'm still clueless. I like showing people (especially those who do jobs that I would totally suck at like housekeeping, waitressing, etc.) some appreciation when they do a good job, but I also don't want to insult anyone.

Any more insights? Especially with bartenders in traditional pubs and cabbies please. I'm thinking to just go with my gut, but this trip I plan to eat out a lot more and drink a whole LOT more :) and want to to things right.

W

Looking to see how far I can make 4.95 days of vacation go...

Hi Wishful,

There are no real guidelines to give you. Some people tip and some people don't. We live in UK but tend to vacation in USA so we are used to tipping and do so if the service is good but not if it does not meet expectations. Bellmen do hang around and expect a tip especially if you are American. Cabbies and bar staff are also the two obvious others. Tour guides do often ask for contributions, which personally I don't like. I would go with your gut feel.

With the Euro now in most of Europe it is now a bit easier for Brits abroad as we have less currencies to cope with. I do remember once my husband tipping someone a ridiculously high amount due to not being used to the currency.

Also most of the people in positions receiving tips are likely to not be "locals".

Good luck

Blueskies

I'm an American living in Brussels, working in London often. As a typical American, I worried about the correct tipping guidelines. On the European continent, you never are expected to tip in restaurants, cabs, etc. Not sure about the bellmen. I always hear 'you can leave the extra change', but with the euro coins, your change on a 11 euro bill might be 4 euro in coins. Basically, you don't have to leave anything, are not expected to, but it would be pleasant and somewhat common to leave 2-3 percent of your restaurant bill as a tip. Service is already included in the prices. For taxis, I leave an extra euro or two if the cabbie helps with my bags, generally helpful, etc.

The UK is a little different. Again, you don't have to tip, but I think that more and more it is expected. Some people who live in London have suggested that a 10% tip on your meals is appropriate for a sit down meal. Taxis don't seem to expect tips. My niece is a bartender in London and does not automatically receive tips from customers. That is more hit and miss.

Hope this helps...

HM Customs and Revenue assumes that cab drivers get an average of 10% over their fares in tips, at least in London.

Most restaurants, especially the cheaper ones, do not include a service charge but many do.

Don't tip directly with money in a bar/pub. The traditional way if you want to do so is to finish ordering a round with 'and one for yourself', and he/she will take the cost of a drink (but not necessarily the drink itself). However, this is done more by regulars so don't feel that there is any obligation to do this, and certainly not each for each drink you order!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]