group airfare 30 youth, PA to TX in 2007

qmck1999
By qmck1999,
in

that would be the Pre-Boarding Group From Hell. Thirty kids on WN would block out an entire letter of the alphabet

you can print out your boarding pass the night before and the kids could sit where they wanted :) Then again, boarding would be doubled since they would have to change planes in Chicago.....I can see a future episode of A&E show Airline in the works :)

Every airline has a group sales department. You usually need 10 or more passengers, and they don't even need to travel on the same flight.

There are a couple of different types of discounts you could negotiate. To get a good price, though, your group might have to be a bit flexible. My suspicion is that your travel agent will NOT get you a good price, unless she is a particularly good agent familiar with group trips.

I think it would be MUCH better for your group to travel nonstop, but that will be somewhat problematic (from a price standpoint) because there are only 2 airline (USAirways and American) which serve this market nonstop. The suggestion to call Southwest is, unfortunately, not useful in this case because the Wright Amendment prohibits them from offering service from PHL to Love Field, the airport they serve in Dallas. Neither American nor USAirways are likely to want to give you a cut rate deal. So you have your work cut out for you! My advice is to try to get each ticket for under $200 roundtrip (at least before taxes) -- not sure that's possible, but it isn't crazy. Every once in a while there are even lower fares in this market, but the odds of snagging 30 seats at a cheaper price is very remote.

A charter might help, but your group may be too small. A small regional jet (the smallest commercial aircraft realistically able to travel this distance) seats 50, although there are a few that seat 37.

Feel free to PM if I can be of further help to you. I will likely be facing a similar youth-group travel dilemna, and while I've got tons of experience with individual travel, I wouldn't mind gaining some experience on a group contract.

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]