Priceline Hotel: 2* San Diego (Carlsbad) Inns of America

KathyWdrf
By KathyWdrf,
in

Carlsbad Inns of America (2*) 12/29-12/31/2003

$50/night x 2 + $18.40 taxes and fees= $118.40 total.

Purchased on 12/18/03.

I bid on 2* because I thought I might get the Fairfield Inn Carlsbad (which has an AAA rate of about $85 for those nights). It's apparently participated with Priceline in the past (and may still, for all I know).

However, I got Inns of America. We'll see how this turns out. Looks OK on their website ( http://www.innsofamerica.com/San-Diego-Poinsettia.html ). No availability shown for the nights I won, but on other nights near those dates, rate is about $85.

Anyhow, the San Diego area has 11 zones on Priceline. Only one of those zones, Coronado, lacks any 2* hotels. So I used that as a "free rebid" zone. (Of course, if I had ended up winning a 3* or 4* in Coronado -- unlikely -- that would have been OK too!)

I had bid earlier in the month, amounts like $25, $30, then later $33, $39, with no success. This time around, I bid $45 for a 2* in Carlsbad-Encinitas-Cardiff (one zone), got a counteroffer to raise the bid by $13, and declined it. Added Coronado (free rebid) and raised to $50. Won it.

In my limited Priceline experience, when you get a counteroffer, that means you're close and you'll likely succeed if you raise your bid by a few dollars. Of course, if you have exhausted your preferred bidding opportunities (no more "free rebid" zones, no possible date changes, etc.), it might be best to take the counteroffer.

I looked at Hotwire as well. The only thing they had that was close in price, $49, listed as its amenities Restaurant, Pool, Breakfast, Laundry. It had a Hotwire rating of 2*. I don't think this is the same hotel, as the Inns of America does not have a restaurant. (Unless the Restaurant amenity on Hotwire includes nearby restaurants in addition to actual hotel restaurants -- possible.)

Kathy

Doesn't look like I can edit my original post any more, so wanted to add this:

It looks like online rates at the Inns of America Carlsbad on nights near the ones I booked are around $69.00 + 10% tax per night or $75.90 total per night.

So it looks like I'm only saving about $16-$17 per night. NOT very impressive savings, especially when you consider the non-refundability and lack of choice involved in using opaque booking sites.

Kathy

Some zones aren't as lucrative as others but i also don't think you're comparing apples-to-apples. The nites you booked at this hotel are sold-out according to the hotel's website, so it may be a higher demand (and therefore higher price) than would be needed on the other nites that you checked.

I've found that the savings are typically greater, both percentage-wise and dollar-wise, with higher rated hotels. There's just not that much profit margin to discount if your hotel conventionally sells for $60 compared to if your hotel conventionally sells for $200. As well, Priceline's fee (let's assume the old $6 fee) accounts for 20% on a $30 hotel room while it only represents 7.5% on a $80 hotel room. Looking at percentages, fees really can bite into savings on low priced rooms and short stays.

I don't know what type of area Carlsbad is, but i've also found that generally savings are quite substantial in large metropolitan cities and less so in smaller towns.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've found that the savings are typically greater, both percentage-wise and dollar-wise, with higher rated hotels.  There's just not that much profit margin to discount if your hotel conventionally sells for $60 compared to if your hotel conventionally sells for $200.

I don't know what type of area Carlsbad is, but i've also found that generally savings are quite substantial in large metropolitan cities and less so in smaller towns.

Yes, I realize that Priceline is better for 3* and 4* hotels than lower-rated ones.

There's pretty slim pickings for Priceline in Carlsbad, however, and I thought I MIGHT get the Fairfield Inn (which happens to be only a short distance from Inns of America, so location-wise, I'm fine with my result).

And yes, big cities are where you seem to get the bargains on Priceline.

Kathy

P.S.: I'll certainly report on my experience with the hotel after my stay!

• 2 weeks later...

This was a poor bargain at $50 a night.

I would classify Inns of America as more of a 1 star rather than a 2 star. But Priceline's rating categories are so vague that it would be difficult to "prove" that this motel is misrated.

On the plus side: convenient location (for my purposes), fridge & microwave in room, and continental breakfast (pastry, juice, coffee, mini-bagels & cream cheese, cereal & milk) included.

On the minus side: cheap, low-quality construction, furnishings, and bedding; next to freeway (I-5), so some noise from that (though not unbearable).

I noticed that roomsaver.com offers coupons for a midweek stay at $49.90 per night, so I could have saved at least a few dollars (the Priceline fee), maybe more.

Overall, pretty much a disappointment as far as value for money. I would have been happy to pay about $20 per night plus taxes and fees for this, maybe even $25.

The only times I have been disappointed in Priceline have been the times when I bid on 2 stars. Maybe I should just avoid doing this, since the chance of getting a 1 star instead seems high. The times I have bid on 2.5 or 3 stars I have gotten very good deals.

Overall, I just haven't had much luck with Priceline lately.

Kathy

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]