Priceline Hotel: Priceline Vacation Packages Air & Hotel

jimmythemonkey
By jimmythemonkey,
in

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used Priceline's Vacation Packages. I will be cruising from Miami next month and was looking for something to do afterwards and found this Priceline Vacation Package which seems like a good deal........If anyone has any opinions or recommendations it would be most appreciated.

Priceline Vacation Package, 7 Nights Hotel Wynham Nassau Resort, Nassau Bahamas and round trip air from Miami to Nassau 1-19-04 thru 1-26-04

$481 Price Per Person Total Price $963

Wyndham Nassau Resort - Nassau, Bahamas Most Popular

An 867-room deluxe oceanfront resort with its own private swimming lagoon and beach, The Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace is located halfway... Hotel Details

Nassau Packages

Depart: Monday, Jan 19, 2004

Return: Monday, Jan 26, 2004

Air+Hotel, 7 Nights - From Miami

Not a bad deal (at least better than most i've seen). The BIG downside with the Package Product is that you can't pick your flight times and you agree to accept a connection.

If this is the hotel you want then go for it, but if you're flexible with the hotel you stay at....

Airfare for your dates for direct flights where you choose the times are $200/each, so $983-$400=$583 left for a hotel (which divided by 7 leaves $80/nite for a hotel, net of taxes and fees)

Given rates everywhere for the Wyndham are about $115/nite, availability seems pretty open. I would therefore try to undercut the hotel on Priceline.

So....

First, make sure you can book the airfare for the prices i've quoted above (i just did a quick Ortbitz search) but DON"T book them just yet (if it's possible to get a 24 hour courtesy hold from the airlines do that)

Second, try bidding on Priceline for the hotel only.... if successful then you can book the airfare for $200/each.

Even if you end up getting the hotel for $80/per nite net (which would mean a bid of about $71/nite) i think you'd still be ahead of the game given that you're able to pick your own flights and times for the same price as the package product.

Also just noticed that this is post-cruise. If you go with the package product i would NOT plan on leaving the same day the ship gets back to port (as your plane could be leaving before you even disembark).... plan on leaving at least a day after you return from the cruise and add the cost of another hotel room nite Miami.

Sorry so much math involved, but feel free to ask any questions regarding the above.

If you book together or separate, thanks in advance for using the links above (where appropriate)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

Thanks so much for checking this out. I did attempt a Priceline bid on hotel only for Bahamas New Providence Island - Paradise Island, Resort 2 days ago for $50.00, but it was rejected and I really didn't have any rebid opportunities. We disembark from our cruise on 1-18-04, so, I was planning on staying in Miami that night and traveling to the Bahamas (or wherever) on the 19th. Same with the backend. We fly home on 1-27-04, so, I planned to also stay in Miami on 1-26-04 just to be on the safe side. As much as I hate to have to build in this 2 day "safety net", it's just too risky to try to travel on those days, given that the Priceline Vacation Package flight times can be anywhere from 6:00am to 10pm. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this. I really appreciate it...

Jimmy

I don't know your age, interests, where "home" is, etc.... but how about some non-beach area since you'll likely be heading to many of them on your cruise.

For our honeymoon last year we took a cruise out of Miami and then flew to Cancun and stayed at Ceiba del Mar which was an amazing place (small, quaint, personalized... total relaxation!! But although i'd go back there at the drop of a sombrero, it's not for everyone. Also, i was just at their website and rates seem pretty high). New Orleans is another place that i'd like to get back to again (i've been once) and probably isn't too expensive of a flight from MIA.

For that matter, flights from MIA to NYC are very reasonable... but then again the end of January isn't the ideal time to be in NYC, but is still a possibility dependnig upon where you call home and how likely you'd be to have another opportunity to check it out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

My husband and I are early 40's and we're Wisconsinites, so we try to miss as much of January here as we can. I guess the only real requisite we have for vacationing is warm weather. We too honeymooned last year. In January we cruised out of Miami (got married on the ship) and then spent a few days in Miami Beach and then we decided to "wing it" and drove down to Key West and spent about a week there. We're not really the tour bus, heavily scheduled, sightseeing types. We just enjoy kicking back, taking in the local flavor, sipping a few cocktails and just basically destressing and relaxing. We haven't been to the Bahamas yet, so I just thought that since we're already in Miami, logistically it seemed a decent option. I haven't booked this leg of our trip yet, so I'm totally open to any suggestions. Thanks again for all of your help..

Jimmy

On vacation i like to "live like a local that has the day off."

I just know after my August cruise i had enough beach for awhile. It was a port intensive cruise, one week with only one sea day, and we did nothing but go a beach every day. Nothing wrong with that and i thoroughly enjoyed it, but my next trip wasn't going to be to a beach. My wife on the otherhand would have had no problem going right back to a beach. So whatever you're into.

I'd see what the weather would be like in New Orleans as i'd like to go back: eat at some great restaurants, listen to some live music, and have a few drinks! (for me, THAT"S vacation).

Where is the cruise ship going?

In St. Martaan, i HIGHLY recommend Maho Bay:

St. Maarten- went to Maho Bay, taking the water taxi ($3/each way, $5 unlimited for the day) to Philipsburg and then taking the local bus to Maho Bay. The local busses are more like vans, and it seemed like a long road to Maho Bay, maybe taking 25 minutes, but as we were on the bus it was only $1.50/pp (taxi would cost about $16). We like taking local mass transit whenever possible as it gives a feel of being

Hi Thereuare,

Decided to go with the Priceline Vacation product for the Bahamas. Here are the details for those who may be interested:

Priceline Vacation Package (prices are shown, no bidding involved)

1-19-04 thru 1-26-04, Package includes roundtrip air from Miami to Nassau Bahamas and 7 Night Hotel at Wyndham Nassau Resort. Total for 2 persons: 963.93, which includes taxes and fees.

Thank you, Thereuare, for all of your help. It is such a pleasure to visit this forum!

Jimmy

Hi Thereuare,

The flight times came out just fine. Direct flight on Continental from Miami to Nassau at 2:45 pm and Direct return flight from Nassau to Miami at 1:35 pm.......worked out well....now I just hope that the Wyndham is ok. I've read mixed reviews. I'll be sure to compose reviews on all of our hotels when we return. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Jimmy

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]