Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Los Angeles (Pasadena) Sheraton

KathyWdrf
By KathyWdrf,
in

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness Center, Business Center, Tennis, Self-service Laundry

Note: Hotwire now rates the Pasadena Sheraton as 3.5 stars though the list on BetterBidding has it as 3 stars.

Price per night $49 x 2 nights + $20.95 taxes and booking fees = $118.95 total. Purchased on 12/16/2003.

I've stayed in this hotel before at Christmas time (NOT on Hotwire or Priceline) and it is fine. Noisy heating/air-conditioning units, though, and an extra charge for parking (but that's normal for Pasadena -- I believe it was about $7 per day).

There is an interesting history here. I had tried bidding Pasadena a few times in the last couple of weeks on Priceline. This hotel is (probably) 3 stars on Priceline. There are limited "free rebid" opportunities in this area, as there are only four Priceline "zones" and all of them have 3 stars, etc. I only wanted the Pasadena area, not the other zones. So I tried bids like 3* at $45, then add 2.5* and bid $50. Unlikely I would get the 2.5* as it is probably the Courtyard by Marriott, which has much HIGHER rates for those dates than the Sheraton or Hilton, etc. (Sheraton and Hilton had rates of $99, Westin somewhat higher, Courtyard had $169. Probably because the Courtyard is closer to Old Pasadena. Of course, if perchance I DID get the Courtyard that would be fine!) Didn't have any luck with Priceline. Didn't want to go higher than $50, as I already had a "backup reservation" booked (in Arcadia) at a pretty good rate (and I would get points, free breakfast, free parking, etc. on this regular reservation in Arcadia).

I had also checked Hotwire a couple of times but wasn't impressed with their offerings. But when I checked them again yesterday, there was this 3.5* star offering at $49! I suspected it was the Sheraton based on the amenities listed. But I thought I would try Priceline one more time, just for the heck of it -- well, not just for the heck of it, but because it would yield "interesting data" -- for me as well as all of you!!! Tried 3* at $45, then 2.5* at $49. No dice. So I returned to Hotwire and purchased the $49 deal, and unsurprisingly, it turned out to be the Sheraton.

Somewhat surprised that Hotwire offered a better deal than Priceline, but I guess that happens sometimes -- perhaps more and more often now???

Kathy

Excellent info in your post and i appreciate you sharing it with the rest of us!!

I think Hotwire is becoming much more competitive with Priceline since being purchased by InterActive Group. Let's hope it's a trend that continues, as it's my opinion that Hotwire has a better consumer oriented product, but wasn't necessarily worth the added cost. As the products stay the same and Hotwire's costs come down (or Priceline's going up for that matter) the line gets thinner and thinner. Either way it goes, it's a win-win for us! :)

Thanks for the update on the star rating too, i'll update it now.

Enjoy your stay/trip, and thanks again.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]