Hotwire Hotel: 3* Ft. Lauderdale (Beach) Sheraton Yankee Clipper

mmermans
By mmermans,
in

Still looking for Feb. 29-Mar 2. A 3*FLL Beach has come up at $58/night, amenities are beach, restaurant, pool, fitness centre, business centre. When I look at the packages (couldn't get my dates - too far in advance - for September, the Holiday Inn FLL Beach matches. What are the chances that this would be the hotel? Any other suggestions?

I would say the chances are pretty good, but i would NOT say it's a 'sure thing' because we just don't have enough data from the 'beach zone' to know if there are many other hotels in that zone at that star rating and those exact amenities.

Do you want it to be the Holiday Inn? Would you not take it if it's the Holiday Inn? Does the hotel have all the amenities that you are looking?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, it doesn't have to be the Holiday Inn - just hoping to get a nice place on the beach (and an incredible price would be nice, too). I know that the hotels Hotwire is associated with are nice hotels, but I never was one for surprises! I like that we're able to play detective here! (but some are better detectives than I).

I would say that if you're happy with the Holiday Inn, than it is a very reasonable guess, although you may not end up at the Holiday Inn. If you're not happy with the Holiday Inn, i would stay clear of this selection as there is a likelihood that it is indeed the Holiday Inn.

However, i think this hotel goes for about $85/nite, and that's not enough of a savings that i would be locking in a non-refundable hotel this early before arrival.

My advice would be to pick the area that you really want (if i recall, this zone is a compromise due to high rates in Ft. Lauderdale) and is reasonably within your budget (ie- don't pick 4* South Beach at $50/nite because it's not realistic.... compare your budget to prior winning bids that have been accepted to know if it's realistic or not). I would then start bidding on Priceline and/or checking that zone via Hotwire. I think it's too early for you to be compromising your zones and 'settling'.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 months later...

I've been holding out for a good Hotwire rate for FLL Beach for Feb. 29-Mar. 2 post cruise. Looking for at least a 3*. The rates are coming up over $100 for those dates, and in March the rates are still (what I consider to be) high. However, in April/May the rates drop down to $60ish (broke my heart when I saw the Sheraton for that price!)

Am I going to have to pay $120+ for our room - I guess the rates are higher because of the time of year, but I wonder if it's possible that they'll drop. We have a room booked at the Holiday Inn Beach hotel, just in case, but that rate is $136.

Any comments/suggestions? Thanks. Megan

I too think that the rates will come down as we get closer to our vacation dates. I am looking for the weekend before yours; 2/21. Cruise lines hold blocks of rooms at major hotels for pre-cruise guests. They will probably release rooms after final payments have been made: think around Christmas for our dates. Also, you have an acceptable back-up so you won't be stuck without a room. The HI is right across the street from a nice stretch of beach, but it is also near a busy fire station, a draw bridge and major intersections. We won the Doubltree Galleria Suites for $75 last year which is about 2 blocks back from the HI right on the Intercoastal Waterway. You could get that one as it too is a 3* hotel. Taxi fare from the airport is about $20 and port about $15 (that may inc. tip). Hold off and watch what others are bidding/winning. You have plenty of time.

Thanks for the info. I'm prepared to wait it out and hopefully get more of what I want. I am sad to learn that the HI is across the street from the beach - I thought it was on the beach! So I may revisit that one and book a different backup hotel. Any suggestions or recommendations? We want to be on the beach - coming from the frozen north (northwestern Ontario), why would we be anywhere else, right?! Ultimately I hope to get the Sheraton Yankee Clipper through hotwire (it's identifiable), so maybe I should book that one as my backup. What do you think?

There are 2 different 'beach' icons that Hotwire uses. One shows waves with a beach umbrella and that indicates beachfront. The other is the same but has an arrow next to the beach umbrella and that indicates beach access (there is one other that comes up occaisonally and that is an icon with just waves... that one indicates oceanfront with NO beach)

To me it's not important to be directly ON the beach, if i'm a block or two away that is fine with me, but that's a decision you'll have to make according to your own tastes. I would book a back-up that you would be happy staying at and ultimately be willing to pay the price charged if not successful with Priceline/Hotwire (ie- as an extreme example, reserving the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons as a back-up would be nice, but would you ultimately be willing to pay $400/nite if you weren't successful with Priceline/Hotwire)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really familiar with this area but couldn't this be the Days Inn Bahia Cabana

Beach? The amenities and star match but NOTHING IS FOR SURE:) I agree with steering clear of a 2* on Hotwire for $91. Usually (not always) a 2* on Priceline in my experience has been a better deal. If it were me I would try bidding several times on Priceline before $91 on Hotwire..but just my opinion.

Hotwire Feb. 29- Mar. 2

3*, Beach Access, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business, Laundry, $71

I think the amenities almost match the Yankee Clipper (except previous identification doesn't list the laundry amenity, and Yankee Clipper is actually right on the beach, not beach access (of course, I could be misinterpreting something here).

Any suggestions for this one!

Based upon the HOTWIRE FLORIDA HOTEL LIST it seems to be an exact match to what was last known for Sheraton Yankee Clipper.

Do you have some other info for this hotel that contradicts the information in the above referenced post (it's in the 5th or 6th reply in the referenced thread)? Feel free to turn this thread into an open dialogue where you can think aloud.

If you move foward before replying again let us know how it goes.

Okay, I took a chance and can confirm that this is indeed the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. I booked two nights (post-cruise) at $71/night, and booked one night at $70 for our friends - don't know why two nights is a dollar more each night, but two bucks won't break me! I am very, very happy with this purchase, considering that at the beginning of the week the same property was $170. I had a backup reservation booked here, and the best I was able to do was close to $150/night. What a bargain. I love Hotwire! I love Florida! And I love cruises! Mid-February can't come soon enough for me.

Well hopefully you can add BetterBidding to that list :)

I'm happy it worked out for you!! I actually started doing some searches when you first posted this and noticed this was your hotel of choice back in June! Looks like a little patience paid off.

Have a great trip and cruise, and as always, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Definitely add betterbidding to the "things I love". Patience certainly paid off for me. I was so annoyed with myself for not booking the "beach" after I had such success with my downtown choice (Amerisuites) for pre-cruise, but procrastination took over and I ended up kicking my own self in the butt! Was very afraid that the prices would not come down, but I'm glad they did. And I'm glad I had such great sources for researching.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]