I've Been Scolded

Randi66
By Randi66,
in

I was scolded ( by an administrator) on TOBB for "low balling" my offers. Im not leaving until March so I thought " what the hell, I might as well try". When I realized this was going to be harder than I thought, I decided to pick an area and star level that I didnt want to stay in for the whole trip, but that one night ( the last night) would be ok. I posted my information and she came back with" I cant believe you setteled for this, considering your previous low ball offers on higher star levels".

I was miffed to stay the least. I have been doing my research for the past two weeks and I realized that its high season in FL for March and I wont have the time in the next two months( taking Michigans bar exam) to play around here every 72 hrs.

Happy Travelling, Randi

Ok, and now I just found out Im banned from TOBB for who knows what. I know I questioned the administrators tone in her post to me.

Im really shocked, but no biggie as my husband has an account.

I like this board( and the administrators) better anyway!~!!!!!

Happy Travelling, Randi

Unfortunately, it's a communistic society over there... talk negatively about the government and you'll mysterically disappear and never be heard from again!

Just more incentive to support and promote BetterBidding!

We already have some reported wins that aren't found anywhere else on the 'net and everyday we continue to grow. As a site, i know where we are going, it's just a matter of how quickly we will get there. Admittedly, our biggest obstacle right now is getting the word out that we exist. We haven't even celebrated our one year anniversary yet and we have already been noticed and mentioned by some well-known press (USA Today, SF Chronicle, Kiplingers, etc) not to mention some very well known and high-traffic websites. I hope everyone cotinues to point people in our direction by posting links to our site elsewhere on the web whenever appropriate as well as continue to spread the word to family and friends.

I look forward to what the future holds! :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I emailed the admin. of the other board to ask why I was banned and she said " I misquoted her" which I didnt. And, that one of the members on that board forwarded my post here to her.

She also made some crack to me about me being a lawyer.

I have posted numerous times over there regarding my experiences and winning bids at certain hotels. I have a lot to contribute, but obviously I threatened her "power" somehow.

I can still read the posts over there, but I wont be posting or asking for any advice.

I appreciate all your help thereuare , and I especially appreciate your great attitude. Just the other day I was reading some posts between you and thesqueegeguy about marriage and I was cracking up.

Happy Travelling, Randi
We already have some reported wins that aren't found anywhere else on the 'net

I assume that TOBB is the same as TOBB? (I'm guessing it means "the other bidding board").

I am definitely among the group who posts my wins (and failed bid histories) here and nowhere else. I used to dual post in both forums until I got b*tchslapped too many times for no good reason.

Betterbiddig is where it's at and I think we'll see it continue to grow slowly and steadily. Good work Thereuare!

• 2 months later...

It is by good fortune that I found this site! After being scolded like a schoolkid at TOBB, this is a breath of fresh air! We do quite a bit of traveling with my company and I decided that consulting with other travelers would be a smart way to go (day and age of trying to save pennies!). I happened upon the other site and tried to get some feedback for two upcoming trips (which I quickly found out was a big no-no, like people don't plan multiple trips?). Once I received a "strategy", I noticed that others had been winning bids at lower prices. Once I recounted my bidding process, I was once again scolded for not following strategy! Paying too much, a strategy, go figure!!! I was scolded and told that I was "trying to pull one over on her, and wasting her time. Then today I posted a problem I had with a winning bid, trying to get some feedback and my message was yanked because we used the other travelers credit card info to rebid (circumventing Pricelines rules and regs.... which is completely not true). I have had an email war where my character was attacked and I was called a liar. Come on, it's a message board for traveling not the CIA. I banished myself, the tribe has spoken. SO GLAD I found a board where people are made to feel welcome and not like criminals!! Kudos!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my two cents.. TOBB has some of the rudest moderators I have ever encountered on a supposed "help site". I have been to that web site for a year, used their links several times, and learned some valuable information from the nice people who took their time to help others.

I never asked for bidding assistance because I saw what happened to the poor souls who forgot to read the FAQs, research other web site prices and, heaven forbid, forgot to properly complete the bidding help request form.

However, the last straw for me was when one moderator told a poster that it would be better not to post, even if he had a legitimate winning bid to share, because he didn't follow the moderator's strategy to the letter!

That's it. I'm back to BetterBidding alone for Priceline help.

Making travel plans is supposed to be fun. If I wanted abuse, I'd go back to teaching!!

:)

I will say, I rarely ever bid on Priceline, so I do not post that often on this forum, or any other. But, I do like travel. From what I can see, there is some kind of rivalry between BB and TOBB. Now, BB seems to be a well run website. The thing I would like to mention, is that it looks very futile to make posts about the competition. If you do not like a website, don't use it. I would like to see BB prosper, but the posting of how mean some website is, is like a younger sibling complaining about an older one. I think it would help BB status to ignore the competition, and focus on its strengths, rather than worry about the other websites demeanor. This is just a suggestion.

I will say, I rarely ever bid on Priceline, so I do not post that often on this forum, or any other. But, I do like travel. From what I can see, there is some kind of rivalry between BB and TOBB. Now, BB seems to be a well run website. The thing I would like to mention, is that it looks very futile to make posts about the competition. If you do not like a website, don't use it. I would like to see BB prosper, but the posting of how mean some website is, is like a younger sibling complaining about an older one. I think it would help BB status to ignore the competition, and focus on its strengths, rather than worry about the other websites demeanor. This is just a suggestion.

I don't see the rivalry between the two websites, nor do I see the moderator complain or 'worry' about the other websites demeanor. When someone posts a topic that they've been banned, shouldn't the moderator be allowed to respond how they wish? It's an observation of (and confirmation of) so many people coming to this board and complaining about TOBB. I have never posted on TOBB because I find it disorganized and ugly. I'm a marketing person and web designer -- any board that is less than organized or attractive drives me nuts. But not as nuts as rude moderators, which I have not come across here. Better Bidding will succeed because of the integrity of the moderators and the comfortable environment they've created so we can help each other travel and save money doing it. I love this board and will scream it from the rooftops without encouragement from anyone.

For someone who rarely posts to any boards (Newbie) I'm surprised that this discussion would warrant your attention at all.

I'm happy with the good-looking younger sibling. :)

Cheers.

Sorry, but I disagree. I think my posting and the postings of others under the "Questions and Suggestions" topic are completely appropriate.

My "suggestion" to BB is to maintain the friendly, helpful, non-threatening, atmosphere. For those who have never visited the other bidding message board, then my further "suggestion" is to not bother.

Since I do bid on Priceline quite often, I am interested in everyone's successful and unsuccessful bids. I would be happy to let the other board's moderators know exactly why I will no longer frequent their site, but I can guarantee that my posting wouldn't last as long as it has taken to write.

Just for fun, try to post a complimentary message about BetterBidding over there and see how long it lasts.

So futile or not, I'm in agreement with the other posters, and look forward to happier bidding on this board :)

Thanks for the 3 follow-ups to my post. My point has been proven.

I have never posted on TOBB because I find it disorganized and ugly.
For those who have never visited the other bidding message board, then my further "suggestion" is to not bother.
Just for fun, try to post a complimentary message about BetterBidding over there and see how long it lasts.
I would be happy to let the other board's moderators know exactly why I will no longer frequent their site, but I can guarantee that my posting wouldn't last as long as it has taken to write.

If that is not a rivalry, I do not know what is.

For someone who rarely posts to any boards (Newbie) I'm surprised that this discussion would warrant your attention at all.

After this comment, and calling someone "newbie" is about as immature as you can get, maybe this board isn't as friendly as I first perceived.

Can't we all just get along??!!!

I think what the other posters are referring to is the fact that this "discussion" wouldn't even be "allowed" on the other board. Don't take it personally Leroy!!! Keep posting your winning bids... I for one look forward to your input.

DeltaPurser :)

This board is as friendly as you first perceived... and it's also open to everyone's opinion!

Everyone's definition of a rivalry may be different and it's best we leave it up to each member to define it for themselves. Some may call it a rivalry, while some call it friendly competition, and still others yet may claim they're two entirely different animals... i don't see any need to label it nor get offended by anyone elses interpretation.

Speaking of labels, don't get offended by being refered to as "newbie" as all new(er) members of the board have that under their username until they reach 5 posts, so i'm certain it wasn't a personal attack but rather a 'group' you fell into based upon your own admission of not posting.

And it would be appreciated if you did post. Your post HERE was very much appreciated, but the thought did cross my mind that if you had posted your winning bid (even if you had joined the board afterwards) then maybe the OP would have seen your 3* result in the corresponding hotel lists and would have not bid the zone as a result of it. Had this occured at TOBB i'm sure your post (although helpful), as well as this entire discussion, would have been deleted!

The fact of the matter is that TOBB is a travel-related business, and if anyone has a complaint about the way it is run then it is 'fair game' for discussion... just as complaints about Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, or any other travel website is discussed here. I have even allowed and accepted criticism about our own board... i take it constructively and listen to feedback to see if the 'masses' feel the same way, and if so, try to make changes accordingly! I believe it's the only way to continually improve the board and 'give the users what they want'.

Since i'm obviously biased I try to remain out of "BB vs. TOBB" threads, but i wanted to interupt and add the above before any 'lines' were crossed.

As you were saying....

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Referring to you as 'newbie' is not a dig (since it is I whom you're quoting I thought I should reply here), it is what appears underneath your id, since you only had 4 posts. I was not 'calling you a newbie' it is your current status -- it was not meant to insult. I say this sincerely.

Also, since I am not a moderator, do not profit or know the people who run this board, I should (and do) say whatever I wish without questions to my motives. I don't think you have proven that there is a rivalry, just that everyday people have made there own opinions after visiting each site and have expressed them. People who post on TOBB are free to choose to spend there time there and say what they wish (although it sounds like their posts may not stay for long). I'm glad the two sites exists, just like I'm glad we have a choice of more than one supermarket -- competition is good and it's okay to have a preference.

And me saying the site is ugly... well... it's my opinion and I stand by it. More importantly, I don't like the way in which the information is organized. If they're thinking of a redesign, I'd be happy to offer some pointers. :) I have nothing against the moderators on TOBB, as I said, I've never posted there or had a personal negative experience.

I don't mind people saying glowing things about TOBB here either, but the opinions and comments should be able to go both ways. This is my leisure time and I don't want to spend it sensoring my messages or apologizing for stepping on toes. But I think it's great that we both can say what we want without fear of being banned.

Welcome to the boards.

Cheers.

i don't see any rivalry here, but i do see the criticism about the TOBB's admin's attitude and tone.

betterbidding just seemed the friendlier and more laid back of the two when i was first researching priceline, so i chose to contribute here, and everyone's been great so far.

*raises a toast to betterbidding*

i'm glad to have found this place!!! :)

the other board has very useful information, but i've been hesitant to post and particpate there cause i'm afraid of getting my head bit off for speaking out of line or out of turn.

"forms" and "faqs" are useful- but discussion is too!

thanks for the alternative, betterbidding! :)

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and kind words.

We often we get such little support that at times i question if the rewards are worth the time commitment required to be so active on the board. Some have suggested to me privately that a 'tip jar' should be placed on the board but i don't really believe in the 'community chest' concept; nor do i feel like 'hounding' users with every post!

As the above can at times be quite frustrating and disappointing, your compliments provide encouragement and i'm pleased to see that we've achieved such a high level of usefulness and that the efforts are indeed appreciated.

I have also been banned from TOBB for no good reason. How can all of this bad publicity be good for business? Searching her name on google brings up bad stuff from as far as 3 years ago.

I will still use TOBB as a priceline reference because it has a large history and it also has more hotels

listed on the hotels list. (Even though I have heard rumors that some of the lists have hotels that

have never shown up on priceline because she gets a commission if someone gets a reservation from clicking her link)

My allegiance is not to a any specific website, it is to all of the bargain hunters out there who are seeing our country and the world! And since TOBB doesn't want me to share my information anymore, I will share it here. If she lets me back on, I will share in both places.

Cheers.

-JB

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]