Hotwire Hotel: MONTREAL Hotel ID - and hotwire.com age limit

srahman24
By srahman24,
in

Hey everyone,

So I really want to try Hotwire.com because so far, the rest of the internet hasn't been turning up anything good. Montreal's a very expensive city, it would seem.

I'm searching for triple occupancy, Aug. 26-28th:

1) 4* Hotel -- Fitness, Restaurant, Business - $131

2) 2.5* Hotel -- Breakfast, Fitness, Business, Laundry - $93 (I'm assuming this is the Holiday Inn Express?)

Based on double occupancy, I can get:

1) 4* Hotel -- Fitness, Restaurant, Business - $100

2) 3* Hotel -- Shuttle, Fitness, Restaurant - $77

So, can anyone help me verify this? And, I assume that if we go for a 4* star hotel - the standard rooms would have at least two double beds, so even if we declared double occupancy, we could get away with having 3 people in the room right?

Lastly, it says that "Primary guest must be at least 21 years old and present at check in". How strict are they with this? We'll be travelling as two 20 year old's and one 19 year old who's 1 month away from turning 20.

I assume that if we go for a 4* star hotel - the standard rooms would have at least two double beds, so even if we declared double occupancy, we could get away with having 3 people in the room right?
Not necessarily, see the related 'occupancy' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
"Primary guest must be at least 21 years old and present at check in". How strict are they with this?
This rule is in place for a variety of reasons, one of which is to keep under age people out of a room which contains access to liquor (from the mini-bar). I'm sure some hotels dont' check at all, while others may be more diligent about it, and even more so probably depends upon the attitude of the clerk at check-in. If you were denied access to a room, the hotel would be well within their right, and you would not (imo) be entitled to a refund. It's a risk only you (and your friends) can determine if you want to take.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

The legal age of majority in Quebec is 18. Hotwire sets its 21 years of age policy based on U.S. rules.

As long as you can buy the hotel off Hotwire, you should have no problems checking in if you have a major credit card in your name. I have stayed in hotels in the Montreal area in my name since I was 18.

If in doubt, you should call the hotel directly to confirm.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been checking into hotels alone since I turned 18, often while using reservations made on Priceline or Hotwire. and only once have I ever had a problem with this, and it turned out to be the desk clerk's bigoted mind, and not hotel policy. I had won a room on Priceline at the Crowne Plaza Don Valley in Toronto, so that my boyfriend (23, now my ex) and I (19), could spend a night together. While my ex went to the washroom, I went to the front desk to check in, and I was asked for my credit card, and then photo ID, both of which were all of a sudden taken into the back room, and after a minute, the clerk comes out and says I have to be 21 to check in. My ex hears this and comes over and says he is 23, and he too was asked for photo ID, which the desk clerk accepted. Our request for a king bed was initially denied, despite their website showing availability for standard rooms with king beds. I was told the only king rooms available were club rooms at an extra cost of $120.00 (excessive!)

After a lot of arguing, we finally were assigned a standard room with a king bed.

I might add that the desk clerk appeared to not originally be from Canada, but likely Iran or some other country where same-sex couples are not tolerated.

We received no compensation for this matter, and won't be returning to that hotel!

It seems that less expensive hotels (ie Motels) are more likely to have the 21+ rule, although Ive seen 23 in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I'd say most high end hotels tend to have a minimum check in age of 18, if not 19 as long as you have a credit card.

Having a high-end credit card seems to help in some cases, it seems that places usually just look at my ID to see its me, and don't even bother looking at my age because they see Ive got a platinum card.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]