WA Seattle DT Hotel Monaco

nlrjkr
By nlrjkr,
in

I originally posted this review at another website but thought I should post it here also:

I got this (Boutique) hotel through Hotwire for $88/night for 8/23-8/26 and 8/30 after originally bidding on Priceline unsuccessfully. The hotel is located on 4th ave near Seneca. The location was wonderful and enabled us to walk to many Seattle attractions - Seaquarium, Pike Market, etc. It was also very close to the monorail station that took us to the Space Needle and Science Center. We felt very safe in the neighborhood and walked to dinner every night. A short walk took us to the Metropolitan Grill, Cutters, and Brooklyn, all excellent restaurants.

The hotel lobby was decorated with a fireplace and several lounging couches and chairs and was the site of a complimentary evening wine reception from 5-6 each day. Our room for the first 4 days was clean and very nice. Although it was on the small side, they made good use of the space. The room included a queen size bed, upholstered chair, dresser, armoire with TV, CD player and honor bar, cherry desk and desk chair. The bathroom was long and narrow and hair care products, soap, etc., were furnished. The surface area around the sink was small, making it difficult to store curling iron, brush, etc. A coffee maker with complimentary coffee was also on the sink top. Our room the last day of our stay was much larger than the previous room, included everything in the first room and also had cushioned window seats along the window that ran the length of the room. The bed in this room was a king, rather than the queen size bed in the previous room. There was also a hassock by the upholstered chair to put your feet up and relax. The bathroom in this room was more a square than a rectangle like our previous room, but the sink area was the same. Both rooms included complimentary internet service and evening bedding turndown complete with chocolates on the pillow.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Check in was quick for the first part of our trip and our room was available around noon. The last day of our trip we arrived at the hotel around 3. Our room wasn't quite ready but we were given a room on the Concierge floor within 45 minutes of our arrival. The desk staff supplied a vase for the flowers we purchased at Pike Market. We made use of the concierge for dinner reservations. She was very helpful in getting us a great table in a restaurant we wanted to enjoy one more time before leaving Seattle, Cutter's. We had a rental car on our final night and used the valet parking. Parking was $25/day with in-out privileges. The parking attendants were also very friendly and quick in getting our car to us as well as giving us directions when we needed them.

Comparing the regular price for this hotel during our dates ($250-315/night), we did extremely well with Hotwire. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Hotel Monaco again if we ever get back to Seattle.

• 1 month later...

Although, I didn't stay here on a Hotwire or Priceline bid, I have stayed here on at least 4 trips and have always paid much less than the rack rate.

As nlrjkr mentioned, the rooms do vary in size. I've stayed in a very compact room (smaller than I expected for a Seattle hotel), a mid-size room and a very spacious suite.

This is a high-style, colourful hotel (as our many of the Kimpton properties) so may not fit the bill for a traditionalist. However, the service I've experienced has been first-rate. Make sure you ask for your complimentary Gold Fish pet, to borrow during your stay -- my 6 year-old daughter LOVED this. The concierge was helpful and went over-and-above what I expected in making a family holiday really special.

It doesn't matter what room you get, you can expect:

bathrobes for your use

Aveda shampoos, soaps etc.

complimentary newspaper

complimentary morning coffee (served downstairs)

complimentary evening wine reception (lobby at 5PM I think)

Although this hotel is about a 4 or 4 1/2 star in most ratings, it does have some special touches that you would expect in a 5* hotel.

Remember that when checking in, you can always politely ask if there is a view room, or a room available with a King bed. I never 'wait and see' what room they have assigned me, but politely ask if they can accomodate my preferences (if occupancy allows). If they can't, the worse that will happen is you get the exact same room they were going to assign you in the first place!

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Another Hotel Monaco update, as I have just stayed after their renovation/update.

What's been changed: all soft goods, drapes, carpets, mattresses, bedding etc. Everything looked fresh and new but the style is not the same. I'd say the whole look is more conservative now, although still a bit busy with a large variety of prints on the fabrics and walls.

I have to say their service REALLY impressed me again.

My first night was booked on Hotwire and my second directly through the hotel. Somehow they had managed to 'connect' the two reservations prior to my arrival, so I had no problems when checking in at the front desk (kept the same room, etc.). They used my loyalty profile to give me a room on a higher floor (club levels) and a spacious King non-smoking room with a view. There are some very small rooms facing a courtyard (ugly view), so I wasn't sure what kind of room assignment I'd get using Hotwire.

I was very pleased with my room and the front desk.

What really blew me away, was on my first night (my Hotwire night), chocolate-dipped strawberries and a bottle of wine was sent up. A note, signed by the manager was with it -- thanking us as a repeat guest. I'm sure they must be doing this for all their repeat guests (I think the last time I stayed was a year ago) and I was very impressed.

Considering we were not celebrating a special occasion, and hadn't faxed ahead with any special requests, they really did a fantastic job of making the stay a great one.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]