Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Tucson (Foothills) Loews Ventana Canyon Resor

MichiganMommy
By MichiganMommy,
in

We are planning to go to Arizona during President's week (Feb 14-21). We are planning 3 nights in Tucson. I'm not sure if it's better to try now, or wait until our trip is closer. If I waited, I'd make reservations somewhere I liked, and then cancel if I got a better deal. We'd like a pretty nice hotel here, maybe a suite. Right now Hotwire is showing a 2.5* suite hotel near the airport for $146. There is an Embassy Suites near the airport, and their website is lisiting rooms for $169. Is this a good deal or should I hold out for something better. Also, the 2.5* has me worried. Is this place in a bad part of town, or is it dumpy? Hotwire also has a 4.5* resort in the Foothills for $177. Any idea what this might be?

Also, we might be interested in a hotel in Phoenix (instead of staying with relatives). In this case, we would want to be close to Chander. Any advice on this would also be appreciated. We wouldn't be spending much time at this hotel, just be a place to sleep.

Thanks!

What are the 3 nites you'd be spending in Tuscon?

Please list all the amenities associated with each hotel to help us identify it (ie- there may be more than one 4.5* resort hotel in this area as well as more than one 2.5* suite hotel... but listing the other amenities may differentiate it from the others).

Generally speaking i think Embassy Suites get great reviews, and in comparing the ES rate with Hotwire's rate for a 2.5* it doesn't seem like the Hotwire is such a great deal at this point in time. I'd book a back-up and continue to monitor Hotwire for more selections or lower rates.

I don't think it's too early to take this stay seriously because it's winter break for a lot of schools.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We want to stay in Tucson Feb 17, 18, and 19 (check out on 20th).

The 4.5* is in the Foothills reigon and costs $172 on Hotwire. The icons are: Resort, restuarant, pool, fitness center, golf course nearby, tennis nearby, spa services. I'm thinking it might be Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort. Expedia is listing Loew's for $229.

The 2.5* suite hotel is in the Tucson International Airport area. The icons are: suite, pool, fitness center, complimentary breakfast, business center. I read about the Embassy Suites near the airport on Fodors.com and it got horrible reviews (old, rundown, musty smelling....). Maybe that's why its 2.5 stars. I'll think I'll avoid this one.

Thanks for the advice!

It's possible, but I'm doubtful the 2.5* is the Embassy Suites. I've never seen an ES rated 2.5*. There is an AmeriSuites and a Comfort Suites in the zone as well, and i would think one of those is a better guess.

The 4.5* matches the description we've seen for The Lodge at Ventana Canyon and that would be my best guess (the Loews would be me second guess, as there is an amenity offered at that property not shown in the amenity icons).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked Hotwire this evening and found a 2* in the Chandler area for $34. The amenities were: pool, complimentary breakfast, and laundry. Any idea on what hotel this might be? Since this question is a long shot, I'll ask this... what brand names are typically 2* hotels? I poked around some different states, and I didn't see any 2* hits listed.

Our dates for Chandler are 2/14-2/17 (check out on 17th).

Lots of 'lower end' properties in this zone, not sure which one this is. Most of the one's i looked at had a fitness center, but the Fairfield Inn lists an off-site fitness center (one mile away) so that would be my best guess, although i don't have a high degree of certainty in it.

Figure 2* hotels along the lines of La Quinta, Fairfield Inn, Red Roof Inn, etc... although star ratings are per individual hotel and not the same throughout a given chain (ie- a La Quinta in one zone could be 2* while a La Quinta in another zone could be a 2.5*)

Thanks for all your help! Where do you look to check what hotels exist in a zone? Most of the sites I use (Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity) mix in Phoenix hotels as well, so it takes longer to find the Chandler hotels.

Should I be worried about a 2* for $34? We only need a place to sleep in Chandler as all our time will be spent with relatives. But I do want somewhere safe, clean and quiet. I could handle staying in a Fairfield or La Quinta and saving my money to splurge on a nicer place in Tucson. Do we have any alternatives if we get there and it's unacceptable (dirty, 2 feet from the highway...)? We can always sleep in the guest room at my parents' house (in fact they would prefer it).

Expedia will let you submit just Chandler as a city.

I dont' know the area so i don't know if there are pockets of bad neighborhoods or if the entire area is peaceful suburbia... maybe ask your parents if there are places in Chandler you wouldn't want to stay.

I'd probably be a little hesistant about an unknown 2* hotel for a 3 nite stay, but given the alternative prices in the area would have no problem with a one nite stay.

What you could do (assuming your parents live nearby)... see if the same hotel (based upon star rating and amenities) is available for the first nite of your stay, and then see if it's available for the last 2 nites of your stay. If so, purchase the first nite to disclose the property, then have your parents go and check out a room there (or at the very least comment on the area and anything else they can tell you). If all is 'clear' and it will be satisfactory for your needs, then book the remaining nites. Following this approach may cost an extra $5 or so given the way Hotwire's fees are calculated, but i think that is $5 well spent.

I took the plunge on Hotwire (sorry - I realize I originally posted this on the Priceline board)... anyhow I got the following for the Tucson foothills area....

Hotwire listed a 4.5* for $118 per night for 2/17/04 and 2/18/04. Amenities listed were Resort, restuarant, pool, fitness center, golf course nearby, tennis nearby, and spa services. The resort was the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. The Loew's website is listing rooms starting at $255 for the same period of time.

Thereuare - thanks for your advice on the Chandler area. I might do as you suggested, but I'll have to wait until January until my parents are back in Az.

Glad this worked out for you as i think you wanted this property.

It has the same amenities as The Lodge at Ventana Canyon so it will be tough to differentiate the property in the future as it could be either one.

Have a great trip and let us know how you make out with Chandler.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]