Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Somerset-Brunswick (Somerset-Piscataway-So Plainfield) Staybridge

biddingforhotel
By biddingforhotel,
in

I am very glad that I can repeat it again and got $45 on this great hotel during weekdays!!! :) (well, hotel website is $140 ...)

This time I tried different "detour" that last one since I kind of know the algorithm and availability:

1. Bid $33 on 3* at Somerset (to confirm that weekday it won't give me Somerset Marriott since hotel website rate is $189...), rejected as predicted. I did not choose 2.5* to start and bid $45, as Marriott will accept $45 as I hit the trapped last week. (why? I believe the PL bidding algorithm is to match highest star first, so if I bid $45 on 2.5*, it will start matching on highest 3* and hit Marriott, then as soon as that happened, it announces "upgrade" to 3* not even try to match 2.5* even Staybridge will accept that offer as well and I chose 2.5* as my first choice. I think this is a "bug" of PL algorithm, at least they assume their 3* is better than 2.5* (and NOT honor customer's preference when possible!!). Well, better or not depends on the situation. When I need free Internet to work remotely, I do not like Marriott charges me $6.99 (yes, increased from $4.99 recently). Besides, Marriott can not compete with complimentary breakfast and dinner. It's great lobby, ballroom ...etc that I have no use ...

2. Then I add 2.5* and bid $37 (just to test if another 2.5* hotel Courtyard will accept, but now I think this step does nothing but testing if Staybridge will accept $37 since Courtyard has $159 website rate and never accept $37 for bids for a long time ... It is rejected.

3. Then I add Lebanon and bid $39 (I think by now, it is confirm both the 2.5* Courtyard there and 3* Holiday Inn Select Clinton will not accept lower than $45; this seems to be true for most Courtyard during core weekdays ...) The steps is also redundant as a after fact thought. It is rejected.

4. Then I add Bridgewater and bid $42 (Bridgewater only has 3* Marriott that with min $47, so this is just a free bid trying to see if I can get Staybridge with lower than $45 price. Failed. So, it should be either $43, $44 or $45.

5. Then I add Edison Woodbridge and bid $45 (note: I did not add Edison - East Brunswick, or I may hit 2.5* Cleriaon Edison, min $35) This zone has 2.5* Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn that both will not accept low bid during core weekdays, so I was safe and know I should get it, and yes, I got it!!! the Staybridge Suites.

Review: If I were going to try again to get Staybridge, I guess I should just do this:

1. Bid 2.5* at Somerset - Piscataway zone on $33, or just anything low, to fool the PL algorithm and exhaust matching on this zone.

2. Then add Bridgewater zone and bid $45 (somehow PL will start matching on 2.5* at Bridgewater zone, which there is no such, then matching 2.5* on Somerset, kind of "stack" last in first out. Then will hit Staybridge right there!!! (if nothing available, then will come back to match 3* on both zone, then may hit Somerset Marriott)

2a. I may bid $43 to see if it is the minimum, and later select Edison - Woodbridge and check $44, but I believe $45 may be the min now since, otherwise, when $45 is more than 2.5* Staybridge will offer, it should keep going on to match 3*, then announce an upgrade. So this is not necessary but can be a bidding exercise...

2b. I even believe weekday Marriott has $45 min, and during weekdays, if one bid $45, one will get either one depends on the bidding sequence.

Lemma 1: One can win a lower star level hotel with equal price than that of some higher star hotel in the same zone by first selecting the higher star hotel with a low bid to be rejected, then add the lower star level with higher price bid to be accept lower star hotel than the undesired higher ones.

If this Lemma 1 can be proved and become a Theory 1, then one should be able to get this Staybridge Suite over Marriott by doing:

1. Bid 3* at very low price, say, $30 at Somerset - Piscataway (where Staybridge located with only 2.5* that has equal price to 3* Marriott), then it will rejected.

2. add 2.5* in the same zone and bid $45 to get Staybridge.

Lemma 2: When PL matching hotel at same level, it starts with the hotel with HIGHEST minimum price. PL program has table of all minmum (i.e. PL pays hotel), and it is merely checking the "availability" of hotel following the preset order.

If this Lemma 2 can be proven to be a Theory 2, then it explains why it is almost impossible to get nice 2.5* Staybridge Suites without "detour".

e.g. during weekend, 3* Marriott $33, 2.5* Courtyard $37 and 2.5* Staybridge $45. If one bid $45 on 2.5*, since Lemma 1 says it starts matching on highest star, it will hit Marriott right away and announce an "upgrade". But if one bid $30 on 3* to be rejected first, then add 2.5* and bid on $45, one should be able to get it. But if one does not know $45 is the magic number and bid anywhere between $37 and $45, one will get Courtyard even with detour.

ok, I checked out and check back in and end up stay at this same wonderful 2br suite with conference table ...

I spoke to the General Manager, and now I got my two 1br booking for today resolved into one day for tomorrow ... and I saw, by accident, that PL paid $49!!! Wow!

and I ran back home to get my wireless router and cable and am going to see if I can set it up so that I can enjoy wireless Internet at common area ...

The wireless Internet I just set up is fantastic!! So fast!! Can't believe much faster that almost all hotel I ever stayed ... may be because only a few of us using it now ...

The General Manager is very happy, and told me some "inside info" that this coming weekend, Staybridge has been sold out!!! So, I guess if you bid $45 on 2.5* here, you will get Marriott ...

Why is it sold out that quick? because he said, Staybridge Somerset is much more popular during weekends than weekdays, whereas, next door Courtyard is the other way around ... and I believe so, last night I did not sleep and 5am I saw parking lot at Courtyard was almost full!!!

This info is valuable for future bidding... I believe Betterbidding should add one more field to show "the day of week" of the bidding, after all weekdays and weekends are very different ... e.g. If you come to the area during weekdays, you should try to get Staybridge, whereas if during weekends, probably Marriott or Courtyard would have lots of vacancies ... that way you can save money ...

I took my wireless router and wires with me to my suites last night, and bring them back this morning and plug in to get wireless Internet again. Very easy. In fact, I have found it very useful to bring this small size set to any hotel so that I can always setup a wireless Internet access from my hotel room; after all, we have multiple portable need to work, check mail, post, play game, watch movie ...etc at the same time...

Today's complimentary breakfast is great! It has scramble eggs, hams, hash brown, among other things ...

While eating, the general manager arrived to work. So, I made sure he would call Danny to rent his condo at Edison. I also made sure he got Krishan's phone who got stuck not able to find an apartment to rent, so Staybrdige is the best place for him. At $79 a night for a month, he can save some since Red Roof Inn at Edison charged Krishan $75 plus $10 Internet each day, and he took tax $17 round trip to Edison train station. But this Staybridge has free shuttle to New Brunswick train station to work at NYC.

I also arranged Peter to come to the hotel this evening after he got off work at Toyota Dealer so that he can check out general manager's suv that needs replace brakes. Toyota Dealer charged me $85 but only pay Peter $17, so I told the General Manager that I decided to have Peter maintain all my cars.

Working remotely has a problem that you got nobody to talk face to face, but I have found working remotely here, I got some nice people to talk every day. I feel they are like my colleagues or peer. I kind of feel the workers at cafeteria is like those at my company's cafeteria.

Last night got very nice sleep, I have found the bed here is very comfortable as always. I still remember many years ago when we ran into this then Summerfield Suites, my son told me the following morning that he got a good dream because the bed is so comfortable.

I also arranged Peter to come to the hotel this evening after he got off work at Toyota Dealer so that he can check out general manager's suv that needs replace brakes. Toyota Dealer charged me $85 but only pay Peter $17, so I told the General Manager that I decided to have Peter maintain all my cars.

Ok, General Manager still decided to visit Peter's home garage at Deans Ln Monmouth Junction NJ 08852 last Thursday, and today (Sat), Peter told me that everything is repair, 4 breaks plus fan belt ...etc. Total $350 !!! General Manager is very happy ...

biddingforhotel, you have the most interesting and entertaining posts here :)

Lemma 1: One can win a lower star level hotel with equal price than that of some higher star hotel in the same zone by first selecting the higher star hotel with a low bid to be rejected, then add the lower star level with higher price bid to be accept lower star hotel than the undesired higher ones.

(...)

Lemma 2: When PL matching hotel at same level, it starts with the hotel with HIGHEST minimum price. PL program has table of all minmum (i.e. PL pays hotel), and it is merely checking the "availability" of hotel following the preset order.

From my experience and the rumors I've heard, I thought PL used Lemma 2 first, except against every valid hotel in ALL valid star levels for that bid, at the same time. If there are more than one hotel with the SAME minimum price, it matches randomly.

But that is not what you're finding?

Ok, General Manager still decided to visit Peter's home garage at Deans Ln Monmouth Junction NJ 08852 last Thursday, and today (Sat), Peter told me that everything is repair, 4 breaks plus fan belt ...etc. Total $350 !!! General Manager is very happy ...

While we certainly allow topics to 'drift' and non-hotel discussions, i think the above is straying a bit too far from the theme of the board and the information that users come here to find.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

"From my experience and the rumors I've heard, I thought PL used Lemma 2 first, except against every valid hotel in ALL valid star levels for that bid, at the same time. If there are more than one hotel with the SAME minimum price, it matches randomly."

From my very limited PL bidding experience as an occassional user, I believe for prices within a meaningful/close range, PL issues the room according to some mathematical weights. Because it happened to me before, for some to get hotel A at, say, $46 - when I bidded with the same price in the same zone, I got hotel B. But I believe even if one bids at 48, 50 or closely higher, one still cannot for sure gets hotel A - even though there's no other hotel between $46 and the higher bid amount.

Please note I have no PL technical background at all. This is just a hunch.

In fact I am more interested in comments and perspectives about this: (Mistake I made before)

If in a zone, e.g. there can be many 3* hotels. One, say, known to frequently accepts at $30 (totally made up number), but then there are others which accepts at 60-70, 85-95, or even some sometimes well above $100. Of course, there must be some rationale behind this, and if it's clear enough, PL may rezone to address partly.

Does any know how rooms are issued/matched form hotels of different "price-clusters" within a rating such as 3* ?

While it's a terminology thing, I don't think PL is allowed to "pick" each time to match according to close (i.e. slightly higher) prices? I would like to say PL produces a set of hotel with availability then "randomly" matches.

Otherwise what's preventing PL not to choose often the $30 to match a much higher price which hopes to match the "higher-quality" ones in that 3*. And even if PL uses automated mathematical formulas to match, I believe there's no reason for PL not to "sneak" in ways to match high amount to the lowest acceptance price in that market every so often, thus making profits that equal otherwise quite several transactions of closer price matching cases.

I am hoping someone has some strategy as to how to deal with wide array of possible prices in a star rating within the same zone, instead of letting PL to match high to low, how to maximize chance of avoiding some low priced hotel (often "problem" hotels to PL users)? Because even if I bid with $100, and in fact, there's availability for a $90 hotel, there's no assurance for PL to "dishonestly capture" that and match with the $30 hotel. There's just hardly a way to even audit that, let alone what appears to many occassional users as a whole.

If doesn't make a lot of sense ot me if opacity means hotels race to lower their price just so the agent (PL) can selectively match the higher price bidder (who doesn't know better) for it to make potential hugh differential. This is just not right.

SHOULD WE THEREFORE JUST REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BID FROM THE LOW LOW PRICE AND UP?

PL naturally wants all hotel participant to race to the bottom in terms of their required minimum prices. However when a quality one participates, how does PL make sure it be honest itself, and the higher-priced hotel an equitable chance for both the hotel and the bidder for them to match each other?

We want the quality ones to be there as well not just some hotels who need to dispose of truly unwanted inventories. (No customer wants either!!)

I made mistakes but having paid high prices but get the lowest-priced PL hotel that I had long regrets for. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

What we've heard is that hotels are allowed to set MANY acceptable prices. We've heard that PL accepts the closest price that's less than or equal to your bid. We've heard that, if there is more than one hotel that is offering that same exact price, PL randomly picks which you get.

But we have no confirmation on any of that, really.

"hotels are allowed to set MANY acceptable prices."

This is interesting practice. When Hotel A sets acceptance prices at 45, 47, 50, 55, and so, what does that really mean?

PL request now can be accepted using a higher price when request is offered at a higher price?

If that's the case, what's preventing all the participant hotels in the same rating within the same zone doing similar long ranges of acceptance prices (which essentially cover possible marketing offers)? Then every hotel will look about the same to the PL Matching System?

If it's not PL rooms, I can make sense of different prices for different features - e.g. no of beds, 14 days advance, jaccuci rooms, breakfast included etc... But now it's PL, isn't there only gaurantee of generic features according to the star ratings, all else is irrelevant as far as PL's T&C is concerned?

But I may definitely be missing the meaning of "settable MANY acceptable prices.". This may hold part of the key to understanding what to expect of hotels of widely varied prices in a many-hotels-participating zone within a given rating.

Please someone who knows how MANY-prices may work. Thanks a lot.

"While we certainly allow topics to 'drift' and non-hotel discussions, i think the above is straying a bit too far from the theme of the board and the information that users come here to find."

May I suggest biddingforhotel consider maintaining an associated blog which contains what may appear as less immediate/direct price bidding information, although I truthfully believe much of his other information help people evaluate the hotels, their surrounding, and possible itinerary in the environ, and sometimes various actors inside the hotel.

To some extent like a miniaturized version of a once long-running soap opera "Hotel" staring the Superwoman. Of course I meant it in an entertaining sense.

But come to think of it, if people such as the GM as reported is not friendly or responsive at all, then I for one consider another hotel given an alternate choice.

Before I stray a bit here myself, a link to an associated blog for bidders to "drill down" on other information would be very good to me from bfh.

"biddingforhotel, you have the most interesting and entertaining posts here"

Not only do I agree with his postings being entertaining, they are also very useful for bidding actions. I must say bfh is actually doing many a service here. His information has relatively been timely, and therefore more useful; bidding approach and history shown, and thus very actionable.

I hate to see bfh reduce his postings. Consider a separate blog.

One last theory or lemma, I somehow think that if in enough active bidding regions and areas, there are well meaning probes like bfh, with timely feedback, PL's profitability and revenue will be reduced significantly in the next quarter. But if bfh quit feedbacking at all, the extra overbidding in tri-state alone may just boost the PL price by at least several dollars in the coming quarter instead.

P.S.: I am not an analyst. Nor am I a PL shareholder currently or in the conceivable future.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]