Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Hilton Financial District

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

Hey folks -

I got a great deal NYC-OAK when UA loaded in the mistake fares a few weeks ago and made an impulsive and happy decision to go to SF for my birthday (travel dates are 10/20-23). Little did I realize that Oracle World begins October 22 and vacuums up 7000 hotel rooms.

The situation doesn't look impossible, especially this far out, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

So far I've bid 4* USE to $75, 4* USW to $85, and 2.5* Civic Center to $45 (to see if I could get the Ramada as a standby) - all rejected. Several hotels are sold out the entire weekend (the JW Marriott, all the Hyatts, the Hilton SF). Other hotels have availability on 10/20-22 - the Renaissance is $189 for those dates (sold out 10/22), the Meridien is available the whole weekend for between $219 - $312 and the Kimpton Hotels run about $270/night. I'm pretty sure the Hilton Financial district is showing up on Hotwire for $107 on 10/20-22 so I should be able to get it on Priceline if I chose to split the bid. I can probably stay with a friend the last night if it came down to that, but I'd prefer a hotel room.

Should I be splitting the bid this early out or will things only get tighter? What do you think?

Gracias!!

Eons ago, before I knew of Priceline (or maybe before Priceline existed), I did a trip to San Francisco where I stayed in Berkeley. As I recall the trip by BART into downtown is not that bad, and Berkeley has its own intrinsic interest. I have no idea if Berkeley is a viable or relatively inexpensive zone on Priceline or Hotwire. I suppose before you try that, you might like to try the Cathedral Hill or Fisherman's Wharf zones, though.

A quick browse of the wins on a 4* USE have been in the price range of $70 to $110. I think $75 might be too low, especially if it's going to be a busy time. Do you have a backup reservation (at a price you can stomach)? Then you could have the luxury of bidding closer to the date without worry. Otherwise, I'd consider a less convenient area, a lower star level, or upping my price for a 4* in USE/USW. In any event, I'd certainly check HOTWIRE to see what the availability/prices are in different neighbourhoods. It's usually a good indicator of what might be available on Priceline (or if you find something that you like for the price, go with Hotwire).

Best of luck.

Given the information on Hotwire, I decided to split the bid. I bid up at $1 intervals from $68 and sure enough, got the Hilton Financial District at $74. I've made a fully cancelable reservation at the King George Hotel for the night of the 22nd - it is $119 - $136 with tax. Now, to see if I can beat that.

Check-In Date: Friday, October 20, 2006

Check-Out Date: Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hotel Name: Hilton San Francisco Financial District

750 Kearny Street

San Francisco, California 94108

415-433-6600

Your Offer Price: $74.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $148.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $29.99

Total Charges: $177.99

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]