Upgrade to 1st class?

Mikemonster
By Mikemonster,
in

My wife and I booked flight and motel from Florida to London via Priceline.

Is there a way to upgrade our seats to 1st class?

Thanks

Can you please post your winning bid information in the appropriate sections for your flight and hotel (Airfare and Hotels/Other Countries). Once you do so, we will answer your question.

Bid? I didn't bid. Priceline had better rates than it's competitors so I just paid what they were asking. Suppose I shouldn't have but didn't want to take a chance on the trip being messed up.

I'm new at this as I've always used my travel agent in the past.

Once I'm back I'd then like to go to Italy and Ireland so maybe I'll try the bidding thing then.

Well actually the wife wants to go there. I couldn't care less. I'd rather go fishing.

Have you tried calling PL? I did a package search for London but was not given the option to upgrade the flight. If you can't do it thru PL then call the airline. Just a warning the upgrade to fly Business class across the pond will cost as much or more than your package. Most US airlines call it Business class since it is a better than First here in the US.

• 5 weeks later...

and international first is something us mortals have to dream of... (United and American have three classes, with first class being pretty much the ultimate in luxury)

Please let us know which airline it is. Upgrading the fare will be absurdly expensive, but some airlines offer upgrades for sale at the gate if you ask an agent.

-A

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Your best bet for upgrading on United will be at the gate or during checkin. I assume you are connecting in Washington or less likely Chicago. Come flight time there may actually not be any more business class seats to be had as United will have a lot of their elite flyers using upgrade certificates for these seats. Since you said you found your tickets for less on PL than ohter outlets, then it is safe to assume you are in a very low fare class (L,S,T, maybe W) and those are technically not eligible for international upgrades, however this is frequently ignored at the gate where anything can happen. If they offer upgrades at the gate, expect to pay $400 or so (one way) for the upgrade.

United also has a section in the economy cabin called Economy plus. You will almost certainly be given the option to "upgrade" to this during online or kiosk checkin. While this is a far cry from Business class it does give you a lot more leg room than the regular coach seats. The actual seats are the same as coach, but they are spread apart more to give you more leg room. This is certainly worth while, especially on the IAD-LHR portion.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]