Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help Needed - Maui/Lahaina 8-17 to 8-21

Whill381
By Whill381,
in

I've had luck with priceline in the past, even with Maui on priceline in the past.

But, I've been bidding this morning for a resort in the Ka'anapali area with no luck.

Started at $180 pretty much knowing it wouldn't be accepted. Went to $220 and still got nothing.

$225 would be my maximum bid and I'm hoping to try bidding again over the next few days with prices going down.

Any words of wisdom or tips for bidding? Wondering if resorts would accept my bid closer to my travel dates or if rooms will just plain sell out and I'll be out of luck. It's risky either way, I know. No one can predict it.

Thanks,

Wendy

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Have you checked rates (use our BetterChecker) of hotel-direct purchases for the above dates? The Hyatt is over $600/nite and the Sheraton is over $400/nite for these dates... these aren't rates where we typically see ~$200 bids accepted.

What is your maximum bid? Do you have a back-up reservation? (if so where and how much)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked rates on the hotel websites, yes. Starwood.com has the Westin at 440 and the Sheraton at 485. The Hyatt was 468, I think. I will use your betterchecker to look too.

I do not have a back up reservation. We are flying to Maui on Air Miles and if I can't get a decent deal ($250 is the limit I think) then we will just cancel the flight and save the air miles. This was a last minute trip, we are trying to go with a few other family members that have been booked since June.

The air mile portion of everything is working out. Hotels, that's another story!

I'm just wondering if I MIGHT win a bid on priceline last minute when Hotels don't sell out. A hotel would rather pull in $200 a nite on priceline than have empty rooms for $0. (In my land of wishful thinking, anyway!)

Thanks!

Wendy

*EDITED TO ADD, that BetterChecker is AWESOME. Sheraton is 428, Westin is 440. Hyatt is 468 to 500++

I would continue to try, but as you have seen your previous bids up to $220 rejected, i would be bidding closer to, or at, your maximum. Of course, monitor direct-rates too and adjust your bidding downward if you see a significant drop in direct-rates, but if things remain the same it will probably be slim pickings!

Hotels may drop their acceptable bid amount as the date approaches, but they'll also likely drop their own direct rate as well, which is why that might be a good tip off to you to immediately try your bid again if you see a drop in rates. For a further discussion you can see the related "bid early or close to check-in" link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Good Luck, and keep us updated.

PS- thanks for the compliments on the BetterChecker as it was a project a longtime in the making and as the word of it continues to spread i think it will become a destination site itself (just as this site has)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the tips. I will keep monitoring hotel rates with your checker and go from there. If rates drop, I'll JUMP into the bidding. If they go up then I know everything is really up in the air and I have to increase my bids or give this trip up. And, I'm off to read your suggestion about bidding timetables in the FAQ.

I WILL post my results.

The longer you wait the more chance of hotels sellng out. This year I saw Sheraton coming up on priceline for decent rates, I wanted Hyatt, so I waited to see if i could bag Hyatt, when I made a phone call to Hyatt they informed me they were sold out of garden and mountain view rooms, meaning very unlikely a win on priceline, went back to my second choice the Sheraton and it was totally sold out. Leaving me with nothing. This will be the frist year in a long while i will not use priceline. I only have myself to blame for waiting for the hotel I wanted instead of the one that was available. Costly mistake. My opinion is, Maui seems to be doing brisk buisness and by waiting you risk a total sell out.

Goldendeal,

The scenerio you mention is my fear right now. Tomorrow morning I'm going to work on Plan B. A refundable reservation to hold while I keep bidding priceline.

It seems the Resortquest properties have some decent rates. None of them are my ideal choice but one of them is a 4* on the beach (I forget which right now). Anything around Ka'anapali that's NOT the Royal Lahaina is a good thing in my book. The RL is pretty much the only place (within reason) I don't want to stay.

I'm going to re-think what we're willing to bid, try in the morning, and work on plan B too.

Thanks!

Wendy

If you decided to stay in the Wailea area, let me know, I got an incredible deal on a hotel there through a promotion I was sent. This lessens the sting of my foul up with priceline this year. Im actually looking forward staying at this property. All excellent reviews. I was surprised to get such a great deal but was emailed by them since I signed up for their hotel card. I usually sigh up for all of the hotel cards since its free and sometime pays off with upgrades and what not. But this is the first time any hotel sent me close to 50% rack rates with the card. If I didn"t have the card I would have never gotten the email, so I suppose those cards payoff sometimes. Im glad too , I was really sweating finding a place to stay, most all sold out for September . I considered a condo , but last time I did that I did not enjoy it as much as a hotel. Made me feel like I was in someones apartment in anywhere USA. Not the Hawaiian vacation, and feel I was looking for. Anyway, best of luck to you, hope you find what your are looking for. :)

Me again. LOL!

Ok, so Plan B (Resort Quest Ka'anapali shores) is going to cost me $275 or more a night with a $25 cancellation fee if I do win something on Priceline.

I've been bidding on priceline from home and work, yesterday morning, last night, and this morning. Up to $260. Now I have to let some time pass and bid from home tonight.

The Sheraton/Westin/Hyatt all still have availablity. I've tried the 17th-21st and I've tried breaking up the dates. I read that Saturday check in is often not easy to pull off...so I tired the 18th-21st, thinking if I need one more night I'll put my tail between my legs and end up at the Royal Lahaina. For one night, knowing I'd be leaving for somewhere better? We could do it.

The Sheraton is higher on weekdays ($428) and lower on the weekend ($378). Strange...

Should I throw a bid out there at $275 to see what happens? Should I keep trying for my four nights, or should I try for three?

None of the combos I can think of are getting me anywhere. So...regardless of budget, etc...I'd just like to get advice on what you think I should do. Start bidding at what price, for which days?

I was VERY excited about this last minute trip to Maui. Now it's driving me crazy! I need to stay in Ka'anapali and not Wailea becuase we're travelling with family and they are staying in Ka'anapali, paying crazy big bucks for the Hyatt.

Actually, right now the Starwood site is unavailable. I wonder if they are changing rates? Wishful thinking.

Thanks again,

Wendy

Have you tried calling the Starwood 1-800 number? If you talk to a reservations agent, saying your plans aren't firm yet but what about these dates and availability maybe they'd be able to tell you more. Of course, you could ask about both the Sheraton and Westin in the same call. Sometimes they tell me (as an example) "Friday I only have 7 rooms left but the rest of the week is very open still". That at least might give you an idea of if one of the days is causing a problem for your bid. Hyatt reservations also can give you that type of information -- I was unable to get a room in the Maui location for my September dates.

Did you also search Hotwire? I would put in your days individually and find out the rates and hotel availability (based on the icons). There may be one day during your stay that the property is not available, or that the price spikes. You could try and work around that.

Good luck.

Epicureangirl...

Thank you for the tip about calling directly. I know the Sheraton and Westin are both Starwood properties so maybe they can tell me something. Or...offer me some kind of package that's a bit lower than rack rate. I am a Starwood member, but that sure doesn't get me even a $5 discount!!

Yes, I have plugged in my dates, one at a time, on Hotwire. It's interesting to see how things change. I wonder what's going on in the area the week we're trying to go...rates are VERY high everywhwere I look, including hotwire. I've had good Priceline expeiences without much hassle, till now. It's probably my own fault since this trip is so last minute.

I'll keep trying! Based on Hotwire/Hotel/Expedia rates, I have to increase my bidding amount but knowing how expensive things are for August, I don't feel as bad doing it.

If Priceline couldn't do it...I hope you got SOME kind of accomodations for your Sept dates.

Thank you!

Wendy

You're welcome, Wendy.

I did get one night at the Sheraton in Maui (Priceline $175), but I really wanted to stay with a 'family rate' at the Hyatt -- there's no availability at all.

The rest of the trip is at the Hyatt in Kauai which was no problem as far as availability goes, so I'm all set. The rates seem extremely high for Maui (shocking at times!), but in our case we weren't set on the specific Island -- Kauai was going to do just as well for us so we could be flexible. Hope your Maui plans fall into place.

Cheers, Michelle.

Michelle,

I called the Sheraton and didn't get much helpful info. I will try again tomorrow...I find the responses you get vary a lot depending on who you talk to.

Glad to hear your vacation is set...even if you didn't get the Hyatt like you wanted. My husband and I won the Sheraton for 5 nights in 2005 and we LOVED it. Being right there at Black Rock is very nice...the beach is great, the snorkelling is good...right at your very own resort, no excursion needed!

Rest assured you'll enjoy your night there. I'd be thrilled to win it again, or the Westin, or the Hyatt. Heck...the Whaler is sounding good now too!

Wendy

Goldendeal,

Thanks for the offer on Wailea...I can't stay there though because the people we're travelling with are staying in Ka'anapali...we'd like to all be in the same area.

I am intrigued that you found the Whaler for $148. That offer is not valid this morning I see a 4* condo for $252 and a 3.5* for $335. Which is the Whaler? The 4*?

I do have plan B set up right now, a reservation I can cancel for no penalty (by 8-14) if I don't find anything else. I'm hesitant to book Hotwire because like Priceline, it's non refundable. But I'll keep checking for the $148. That'd be awesome!

I get to go another round on Priceline later this morning. I don't expect much luck...but at least I have options. This whole thing (trip) is goofy. Thank you to everyone for your patience and advice...and for putting up with me. It's less than smart to throw these things together last minute. That's the lesson I'll take away from this!

Wendy

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]