DC Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill

Glenn
By Glenn,
in

Busy hotel with a lot of conventioneers. It took awhile to checkin. Requested a king smoking and was given a room on the 6th floor next to the elevators. There was no city view. From the window, could see the top of the lobby and also other hotel rooms on the other end. Close those curtains if your room is facing other hotel rooms...I could see clearly into the other rooms.

Room was small and worn, but sufficient for my needs. Large desk, 2 chairs, coffeemaker, 27 inch TV, alarm clock, nightstands on both sides of bed, and a 4 drawer dresser. No hi-speed internet access or web TV. There is an access charge for phone calls. You can add a business plan for an additional $20 per night, which includes: free phone access, breakfast buffet for 2 at the lobby restaurant, and entry to the fitness center.

Hair dryer and Portico products in bathroom. Tub with shower. Read elsewhere that some bathrooms only have shower stalls. There is a note in bathroom that mentions towels are changed every 3 days. You need to call guest services if you want them changed everyday.

Vending does not offer snacks. Only soft drinks and water that cost $2. Drinks cost a penny less in the gift shop. Go to the liquor store/deli across the street. I got 2 bottles of water and a liter of Coke for only $3. There is a deli upstairs that has sandwiches starting at $5.

There are only 4 elevators near the lobby. With more than 800 rooms and a restaurant on the top, the elevators get packed and there can be a long wait. There is another set of elevators away from the lobby, which a lot of people don't know about. Although it can be a hike depending on where your room is located.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. Only 2 blocks to the Capitol and Union Station. Union Station has everything - many dining choices, shopping, and transportation, including Metro, the best way to get around DC. Speaking of transportation, there is no need to hail a cab at the hotel. There is a line of cabs outside the hotel to take you where you need to go.

Overall, very happy with my stay here. Excellent location with friendly staff. Would stay here again if I got a similar deal.

• 4 years later...

Noticed that this property hasn't been reviewed here in about 4 years. I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for three nights (Dec 29-31). There has been a remodel since the previous review and it helped the the overall condition of the rooms, etc. I agree with the previous poster's description with these additional comments. I'm a Diamond member and had an upgrade certificate so I was given a suite on the 10th floor (the 11th being the highest floor and Club level). Also received the welcome plate of wine and cheese/fruit, which was nice, along with complimentary breakfast buffet passes for myself and my brother. The buffet, by the way was very good, but VERY crowded; long lines both days we ate there. Service was clearly strained to keep up. The club lounge also had excellent evening hors d'oeuvers. That actually saved us an night out when it was raining and cold. All in all, I thought that we were treated very well. Some of that was clearly because of the fact that I'm a Diamond member though. Also used the fitness facility which is on the 2nd floor. very nice with treadmills and bikes with TV screens and headsets available when you come in the door. Layout is a little unusual, though. It's in the same aread as the pool, in two seperate areas. Also closes early for my needs, at 9:00 PM. My BIG complaint is their parking; only valet is available for $41/night (!!). I've stayed in a lot of places and this the the highest parking fee that I've ever seen. Really over the top. The other thing that I'd mention is that one side of the hotel faces a firestation, which got a bit of a workout during our stay. There are a lot of sirens in DC anyway, and if you are a light sleeper, you might want to avoid that side. My last comment is that there was a general lack of attention to details here. For instance, our welcome tray stayed in the hallway outside our door for two days before it was picked up.

• 2 years later...

DC - Hyatt Regencey Capitol Hill - Feb 14 - 18 - 2010 Just got back from a 4 night stay- husband and 10 yr old. We had a great time. Paid $129 a night thru Hotwire. The hotel is in a great location. We walked everywhere. The room was fine - two queens, ipod holder, etc. I was surprised that there was not a mini bar but we used the ice bucket to chill some beverages. Hotel wasn't spotless but it was clean and comfortable. We swam in the pool one night - kind of an oversized lap pool. They also have a small sauna which was nice. Only complaint about the pool area was that there were too many kids running around out of control. Two kids had t-shirts that they were swinging around and whacking each other with in the pool - very obnoxious. I was getting up my nerve to say something to the parents when thankfully they left. Pool security walked thru while this was going on and did nothing. The concierge and check-in people weren't overly helpful but they also weren't rude. We would stay there again because the location can't be beat. The restaurant across the street (Art and Soul) in the Liason Hotel was very nice. There is a Starbucks next door and we would have coffee there in the morning. Union Station food court is only two blocks away. There is also a small liquor store right across the street on the corner that has a large selection of wine, etc.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]