Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

IBDMC
By IBDMC,
in

Hello, I put that last post in the wrong spot. I am going to NYC 8-3 t0 8-6. I was supposed to get a rate of 150 at the Hilton Ave. of Americas. Now they tell me it's 199. I don't want to spend that much. Is there a chance that I could still get that Hilton even if there is a convention there and they're probably sold out or close to it? Also, should I do it now or wait? What's better? Thanks for any advice. I love that Priceline map, thanks! DMC

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If a hotel is sold-out (or has extremely high rates) then the chances of receiving that hotel decrease dramatically. However, rates are not that expensive by NYC standards for these dates, it's just that the hotel has sold their allotment of $150 'convention' rooms.

It's not clear if you only want to try for this hotel (which i don't necessarily recommend since as you point out, it is very easy, and cheap, to get around the city) or are willing to accept other areas.

I think there are two paths you can take:

1) try for the cheapest hotel in the midtown area (MTE, MTW, UM/CPS) or

2) first try for MTW only, willing to spend a bit more than you might get via method #1 above in order to be in the MTW zone

It depends upon your budget and how much you feel walking, subway, bus, taxi (or whatever means of transportation you would use to get to the Hilton) is an inconvenience.

Let us know which route you'd like to take, your maximum bid, and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, thereuare, I am amazed at your committment to this site. I have been a fan for a long time but have never posted. Thanks for all of your hard work. I have printed out the bidding zone stuff, but I'm a little scared to do it. I have used Priceline before, but I just put in a price and I usually get it, but this time, since I am spending three nights in an expensive place with a hefty tax rate, I would rather save my money on a dining experience or a visit to Ess-A-Bagel. Did I get that right?

Okay. I will go as high as 140 or 150 for four stars and walk to the convention or take the subway, which I'm afraid to do. Yes, I'm a nervous Nellie. Thanks, DMC

Is that whole cluster of hotels on your priceline map for NYC in the same area?

I would rather save my money on a dining experience or a visit to Ess-A-Bagel. Did I get that right?
Yeah, you got that right. Fortunately even if you overbid a few dollars Ess-A-Bagel is usually cheap enough that there's always enough money left over :)

You have two re-bid zones available at the 4* level in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us kno whow it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just got my room on Priceline. I started at 130 MTW and then added MTE and put 140, since I really wanted to stick to those two places. I am very happy :) with my hotel, Intercont. Barcley, as it is only a few blocks from the convention at the Hilton. Went on Trip Advisor and got the usual mixed reviews, but more good than bad. Thanks for your help, thereuare. Also, how do I change this posting clock for me? Where did it come up with this time?

Oh, I went through savingsbarn.com

Did you bid MTW at 130 then add MTE at 140 or did you start from scratch at 110 and go from there?? By the way, I've stayed at the Barclay and its VERY NICE!! Some people are really picky, and would not be happy if you gave them the room!! I consider this to be one of the better properties in the MTE area and you should be fine.. Be sure to get a Priority Club membership if you don't have one as it may get you a few perks (or it may not...) If you have the Priority Club Rewards Visa it may get a upgrade (i've got upgrades a couple of times on Priceline but its about 50/50 at the Intercontinental properties.) It never hurts to ask!! If you need the links just send me a message and i will forward them..

I may see you there as I arrive in Manhattan on 8/6 for a week on business and I've been holding off bidding until my plans are 100%.

Good luck at this great property!!

Hello, Gagnee, thanks for the info. Yes, the review site was very helpful and now I will bring my own coffee with me. What links are you talking about? Yes, we have a priority club card but no Visa. I started at 130 MTW, then added MTE and put 140. I didn't want UM/CPS, nor did I want to mess around with trying to save a few dollars. It's not that big of a deal. Do you have any suggestions on parking? I think I just saw that the parking was 45 bucks a day. We are thinking of taking the train from New Haven, New London or whatever point is best, but I haven't researched the costs involved versus driving/parking. I did see you can park at Harrison, NY for free or five bucks a day, but don't know anything about that. Since you go there a lot, do you have any dinner suggestions? Keep it moderate. We don't like spending a ton on food; we eat to live, not live to eat. We may be gone when you get there. Thanks, DMC :)

Congratulations on your success... that will teach the Hilton to raise the price on you! :)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using the links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

NYC has every type of food imaginable, and i wouldn't necessarily be constrained by proximity to your hotel as mass transit is readily and cheaply available.

Some places i like that are casual and reasonable (by NYC standards):

John's Pizza (44th St location in a converted church)

Arriba Arriba (51st St and 9th Ave) - solid mexican, service can be poor and tables cramped, but a very good value for your money... great margaritas (don't get the baby size.. it's a thimble)

Jackson Hole Wyoming (35th St and Third Ave) one of the best burgers in the city

Katz Deli (lower east side) expensive by deli standards but makes a reasonable meal and some of the best pastrami/corned beef/etc you'll ever have

Enjoy your stay.

Thank you fpr the suggestions. Sounds like I got lucky bidding today compared to others. I sure did get joy out of cancelling the Hilton. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!! :) This is all worth the savings, the time, the effort. Thanks, all

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]