Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

blindman
By blindman,
in

Hi.

Considering the Secaucus\Meadowlands PL hotels would it be true to say that the Crowne Plaza is less convenient for us with NO CAR than the Amerisuites\Wyndam\ and Holiday Inn?

Seems to be a little out of the way regarding eateries and the like.

How much of a foot slog is it to the Malls?

We intend to catch the bus to NYC and not return until the PM, though probably before midnight and not every day.

I've read that as the bus stop is the last one on the route into NYC the bus sometimes doesn't stop as it's full?

We also intend to grab some Margaritas and beers if thereuare's info is still current?

I'm looking at the Secaucus Junction web-site to which the Crowne Plaza has a shuttle. This train option would be OK with us.

What's your opinion dahammer (and of course anyone else)you seem to stay in this area quite often?

I may be able to get a very good deal (lower than PL) at the Crowne Plaza.

Ta

I believe the Crowne Plaza runs a shuttle that will take you to the Secaucus Junction station, check with the hotel to confirm, please. When returning from NYC, there are several bus stops before you get to the Crowne Plaza stop. However, on your trip into the city, the only stop will be at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, so you will have a quick ride. Don't forget that the "High Occupancy" bus lanes through the Lincoln Tunnel remain open only until 10:00 AM, so check the schedules and get a bus that arrives at the Port Authority before 10:00 am. I can't comment about the bus not making stops unless its full, just make sure you get on the right bus route and double check with the driver. The fare is $2.60 each way, a bargain. At any rate, without a car, there is really not much within walking distance of this hotel, except the studio for WOR Channel 9, the US Headquarters for Panasonic, and the Meadowlands Hospital. You will be close to some of the Secaucus Outlets, but this is not really a pedestrian friendly spot. On the other hand, the Amerisuites, Wyndham, Holiday Inn locations are much better as you will be in a mixed-use development of hotels, restaurants, and office buildings...with a small mall, Wal Mart and Sam's Club as well. The only issue is that when bidding at the 3* level on Priceline, you can't avoid the Crowne Plaza.

I agree that the 'problem' woudl be "What do you do the days you aren't heading into the city?"

I believe i saw an Enterprise location near this hotel last time i drove by, so you could rent a car for just one or two days of your stay (you didn't list dates so i don't know how long of a stay this will be), but not sure of the cost (usually a bit more than airport locations due to less competition) or just how convenient this would be for you.

The margarita info above is still accurate in the sense that they're still the best (and most potent... you wouldn't want to drive a car on this day! :) ) in town, but as most other things in life, prices have gone up! They're now $7 ($7.50 or $8 for flavors) and $5 during Happy Hour ($5.50 or $6 for flavors).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks dahammer.

I've got the map of the area and you've confirmed my suspicions.

They do provide a free shuttle to Secaucus junction.

Did you use the pool?

If I have to I'll probably bid 2.5* but knowing how often one gets 'upgraded' I need to be prepared for the Crowne Plaza :)

I may also get to choose this place from another source. :)

blindman, Sorry, but I have not tried the pool at the Crowne Plaza. If you do get this property, you may want to get membership to the Priority Club, I presented my card upon check in and received a coupon for a free breakfast.

With regards to the Hyatt or Doubletree in Jersey City, does it seem that these hotels are releasing inventory about a week or two from travel dates? You may want to book a cancellable back up since you have your airline tickets. :)

Thanks.

I saw your earlier posts and will be taking my Priority Club card :)

This IS my cancellable backup, I've just confirmed it has been booked for the 5 days at a lower than PL rate :)

(it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know..).

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the Hyatt, though I may stick with this option, I need to weigh up the pros and cons.

• 2 weeks later...

I already have a "lower than PL rate at the 3* Crowne Plaza in Secaucus"

Probably trying the impossible, to get my (and others) favourite hotel for the same :) if not a little more.

Watching rates on Hotwire and the hotel web-site, noticed they'd dropped for the weekend 25-27th (after shooting up to over $250 :)

Tried a bid for 25th and 26th.

Obviously too much sun :D or alcohol :o I'd only bid for the Friday 25th

I bid $58 and was countered with add $17 more and it's yours.

Historically the break point seems to be $65 and this is about 1/2 way between the bid and offer, I tried $66 for both the Friday and Saturday and got rejected.

Lowest on the Hyatt siste is $169 and $199 respectively.

Hotwire was $140.

I reckon that $65 will get Friday and $75 will get Saturday.

Being a cheapskate :) I'll stick with my $49 rate at Crowne Plaza for now.....

Wow, $49 for the Crowne Plaza, that is a real deal and would be tough to beat...4 nights for the typical one night rate.......but would "who you know" offer this rate for just two nights if you were successful in bidding for the 3* in Jersey City for the other nights? You might be able to split your JC bid, and there is always a chance that you could get the Doubletree. The Crowne Plaza is a nice property, but getting the Hyatt for the last night or two of your trip would be a great finish.

PS, there is a small convenience store across the street from the Crowne Plaza that sells limited groceries, beer wine and spirits. Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, it allows you to splurge on the things that you will enjoy! (like Margaritas)

Cheers!

but getting the Hyatt for the last night or two of your trip would be a great finish.

You're right and I did it!

Won with a bid $65 for the Saturday 26th August, I then used the Add a Night and got the Friday 25th for the same price

I bid $63 yesterday for the Saturday only, rejected.

Rates haven't changed over the two days being

Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday

389.00 279.00 229.00 169.00 199.00

Hotwire rates :

Friday-Sat $157 ??

Sat-Sun $187?

Frid-Sun $171

I've had some experience with the Secaucus transfer station this past weekend... still haven't used it personally but needed to research it for somebody. Lots of trains (NJ Transit) from Secaucus-->Hoboken.

Since the Crowne Plaza offers shuttle to the train station (i believe accurate) you could take the shuttle to Secaucus, then train to Hoboken, then PATH or Lightrail to Hyatt :)

Congratulations on your win for these dates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]