Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Jersey City 9/14/06 - 9/17/06 $110 Rejected

itsneverenough
By itsneverenough,
in

Looking for a hotel in Manhattan....nothing fancy, as long as it's clean

First bid of $91 (financial district only) was rejected. 2nd bid was $101 and included all zones. This was also rejected but I now have another opportunity to re-bid. I can't change the price I offered but can change the dates or move down to a 2-star. I assume this means my price will get a 2-star (?). There were some bad reviews of a couple of the 2-star so I'm a little nervous about that.

I would be willing to pay $120/night.

I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

The first two bids are at 2.5*.

Any of the zones are fine.

I can still access my offer, but the price section is unchecked. I can't change that. I was hoping to go up to $110 or $120. My only option is to change the star rating.

I think starting over may be my best option. I thought it was 72 hours- is it only 24?

Any advice on a good strategy?

...and I will definitely use the PRICELINE links from this site!

The 'lock out period' has been reduced from 72 hours to 24 hours. So after 24 hours from your previously rejected bid i would try as follows:

Select 2.5* Downtown and MTE...

Bid $100, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTS and MTW...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* UES and UWS...

Select 2.5* Downtown and UWS...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTE and UES...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTS and MTW...

Select 2.5* Downtown and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTE and UWS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTS and UES...

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried again, going up to $130. I have also tried a 2* up to $105. Still nothing... The best rate I have found anywhere else is what I think is Murray Hill Suites on Hotwire for $206. I would still like to stick to $130 or under. I know September is a popular time but I still hope to get something decent for my price range. My backup is a 1* so even a 2* would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You have already bid your limit, so there is not much else to offer suggestion-wise other than the two sites i mention above. However, it appears that you're trying to beat Hotwire's rate by about $75 per nite, and since Hotwire is anotehr opaque supplier, that may not be entirely reasonable.

Your choices come down to:

1) wait it out and hope rates decrease

2) lower your star rating

3) stay outside of Manhattan

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I previously posted in the NYC section. I gave up on getting anything in Manhattan for these dates and thought Jersey City would be a good option.

I have been bidding (through the links on this site) on priceline with no luck. I have bid up to $110 for a 2.5*. I can book the Doubletree for $179/night, the Courtyard for $189, and the Candlewood (2*) for $180 through the hotel websites. The Hyatt does not have any rooms available.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm beginning to think that priceline has little or no inventory in Jersey City for these dates.

• 2 weeks later...
My backup right now is the Holland Motor Lodge... Does anyone know anything about this place?

I know a little about it having walked by a few times... and i wouldn't stay there. You could walk to a PATH train but it's not what i would call close either.

Board member dahammer has stayed there (IIRC) a few years back and might be able to comment further.

My backup right now is the Holland Motor Lodge

I really would not recommend this place, despite the reviews on Tripadvisor (which I just read) I actually stayed here about 6 years ago. It is right next to the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, so traffic will start building at 6:00 am or so. There is really nothing within walking distance in the way of a restaurant or nightlife, I would not walk around the neighborhood late at night either. I know that you really want to get a winning bid right away, but you might have to wait a bit until some inventory is released to PL. Booking a cancellable backup is the best advice as it gives you options.

Also, Just checked the doubletree website and they DO NOT have any rooms now for the 14th - 17th. That means the Hyatt and the Doubletree are booked for these dates. I'm starting to get a little worried about this! I don't want to stay anywhere where I have to ride a bus. Is Brooklyn or Queens a decent option? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

The only other backup I can find near my price range is the Ramada Limited

I stayed here as well, about a year ago in the summer. I would stay here again, but others might not like the neighborhood. The hotel is very old, the rooms were clean. I complained of a bad air conditioner and was moved immediately. The hotel is set among some residentail apartment buildings and a worn down strip of retail stores. There were really no dining options in the neighborhood except for delivery chinese. The Pizza is pretty good at the Journal Square PATH station though, only two blocks away!! The Hotel even has a rooftop deck that could be used to sunbathe along with your significant other and a bucket of Rolling Rocks....

As for riding the bus, I took the bus from the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus to the Port Authority in NYC, the trip was about 22 minutes, I got the 9:15 and was in the Javits center by 9:50 am. There were plenty of seats and no other stops, the "Bus Lane" allows the driver to pass all of the other cars stuck in the morning tunnel traffic!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I have reserved a condo for the 3 nights. I realize it's a bit of a gamble without seeing the place but the hotel prices are outrageous and I don't see them coming down close to my price range. The condo is on the UWS and is $125/ night for a very small studio. I think it is on West 107th street. I'll update after my stay with what the experience was like. It may be a good option for many people when hotel prices get this expensive!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]