Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Palm Springs Indian Wells Hyatt Grand

BEAV
By BEAV,
in

First off, you can add this property to the hotel list.

4.5 stars

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business Center, Golf, Spa

Check-in: Dec 25

Check-out: Dec 27

On Saturday, Nov 15, I was preparing to bid on Priceline for two nights, Dec 25 & Dec 26 in the Palm Desert area. Out of curiosity, I decided to check Hotwire first. They listed a 4.5 star property for $259 per night. Trying to decide which property this was, I went to their vacation package to see if there was a match. Sure enough, the Hyatt Grand Champions Resort in Indian Wells.

I first went to Expedia, which quoted $132 per night. Then I went to Hyatt.com and they were quoting $119 per night. At this point, I decided to purchase from Hotwire and apply for their "double the difference" refund.

Hotwire purchase w/taxes & fees: $572.95

"Double the Difference" refund: $560.00

Out of pocket total for 2 nights: $12.95

A couple of observations:

The "Double the Difference" folks don't work Sat/Sun. This caused a bit of anxiety when I hadn't received their form to fill out with my claim information. I didn't receive the form until Monday.

If the rate you're using for your claim is a non-refundable rate that you don't physically reserve, make sure you print the webpage with your rate quote. By the time Hotwire got around to verifying my claim on Monday (after my purchase on Saturday) the rate at Hyatt.com had risen dramatically for the night of Dec 26. It was necessary for me to fax Hotwire a copy of my quote from Saturday in order to proceed with the claim. Without it, I would have been sunk.

After receiving my email from Hotwire yesterday afternoon comfirming the $560 refund, I decided to investigate doing the same thing for my parents. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but Hotwire is now quoting $147 for the same nights I purchased on Saturday for $259. I can't help but wonder if my claim caused them to review and adjust their rates.

Excellent use of the Double the Difference Guarantee! (since it has all worked out i'm glad you had the guts to try it)

In just about every instance that i can think of where the "Double the Difference Guarantee" was used, Hotwire adjusted their rates afterwards or removed offering the hotel completely (for the specified dates).

I'm glad to hear that they honored the rate you had printed out, as that has always been my biggest fear about using this strategy... 'what if the rate changes by the time Hotwire gets around to verifying it'. Their T&C states something to the effect of 'the rate must be available when we search for it' so i'm glad to see that they accepted your faxed copy!

Congratulation on your amazing deal... i think i can hear them crying from here!

PS- is this in the Palm Springs or Palm Desert zone? (i think it's the Cathedral City-Palm Desert zone, but please confirm) THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, Grand Champions is in the Cathedral City-Palm Desert zone.

When I filled out the claim on Nov 17, I was "up front" with Hotwire, telling them the rate for Dec 26 had risen significantly from my quote on Nov 15. I offered to fax my claim dated Nov 15. Sure enough, they asked for the fax. I felt this was the best stragegy, assuming they would lessen the $$ amount of my claim after doing their own research.

Well, it just gets better and better.

A few posts up the thread I reported I wanted to do the "double the difference' thing for my parents after my successfull claim, but Hotwire had adjusted the rates upward after processing my refund. I let a few days pass and checked the rates again on Sunday only to find they were back up to $262 per night for the nights of Dec 24, 25 & 26. Hyatt.com was still quoting $119 per night. So I purchased 3 more nights from Hotwire for my parents and applied once again for "double the difference."

Although Hotwire's T&C's state one claim per household, and I don't live with my parents, I decided it was wise to create a new Hotwire account in their name and proceed from there. I didn't want any connection with my own account and previous claim.

Hotwire purchase w/taxes & fees: $864.95

"Double the Difference" refund: $858.00

Total "out of pocket" expense for 3 nights: $6.95

Since my original claim last week, Hotwire has somewhat streamlined the "double the difference" claim process. Now you go into your account, select the link to your hotel purchase, where you then click a link "Apply for double the difference on this purchase". Selecting that prompt brings up the claim form which you complete and then submit. Much better than email exchanges back and forth asking for the form, etc.

As of this writing, Hotwire hasn't adjusted the rates downward. If anyone wants to go to Palm Desert for Christmas for pennies a night, now's the time to act!

I must have said "unbelievable" 10 times while reading this. I looked at the website for the resort and it is only 3:50 hours from PHX .... I am still deciding on my Christmas plans. BUT the cool thing is, Hotwire is likely to keep making this mistake into the future ... I will definitely check on it.

Thanks... ununununbelieveable deal.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]