PA Pittsburgh Westin Convention Center Downtown

madamebuttaphly
By madamebuttaphly,
in

This place is way overrated, and not worth 4 stars or even 3.5 in my opinion!!! Oh, the lobby is nice enough I guess with a classic, blah, understated appeal. Check-in was typical. The room(s) decor wan't much more impressive.

We arrived to the 11th floor more than ready to relax in our rooms for a bit, after driving/riding for 5hrs.

What pungent odor should smack us in our faces while rounding the bend to our rooms??? None other than, MARIJUANA, coming from a room being serviced by housekeeping! Upon entering our room, and thoroughly checking it out, because that's just me... dirty curtains noted, stains on white comforters, dust on dressers, t.v., desk, etc., paint peeling on the ceiling in the bathroom, NOT so heavenly beds or showers. The bed was quite uncomfortable...nothing heavenly about it at all.

Anytime your neighbor: above, below, or next door took a shower; the pipes squealed. The doors were thin, so you heard all manner of noise from the hallway.

My family and I later traveled to the pool/whirlpool area, which was a joke. The entire pool area was dingy, and poorly lit. They have a 3 lane lap pool, which only goes to 3ft. Guests are charged $9 for use of the adjoining gym.

The pluses at this hotel: priority checkout, and NOT for the convenience either, concierge/valet parking, and the creme brulee from The Fishmarket!

I have stayed at nothing but Starwood Props for the past three yrs., and made my decision to stay at this one based on that, and the fact that it was listed as a 4 star prop on Priceline. NEVER again (at this prop) is all I can say.

• 1 year later...

I have to post that this experience seems to be abnormal, at least from what I've experienced at this property in the several times I've stayed there. Very surprised to read it all. I've never had a problem, found it spotless, service great, and good location. I would be happy to get this via Priceline. In fact, all of the sports teams that visit Pittsburgh stay book the Westin.

• 1 year later...

Stayed here back in May 2008; mind you this was a non-PL or HW stay; but rather a stay on points.

Check-in was OK...as I am SPG Gold, was assigned a room (2616?) on the top (26th) floor with a lovely view.

HOWEVER...later on I started hearing all sorts of screaming coming through the wall...I found out the boardroom right next to my room was being used for BABYSITTING for a wedding!

The front desk informed me it wasn't going to be vacated until 12 midnight.

The wonderful manager offered me a room change...to either another room down the hall, or to a suite on the 17th floor...I took the suite and it was just WONDERFUL! The suite (1715) didn't have quite as good a view as the first room, but it was massive. It had a bedroom with a good sized bathroom, and down a rather long hallway was a sitting area with a dining room table and another TV.

I must say the linens at this hotel aren't great; they're like sandpaper.

Overall, its alright...I'd stay there again, but not in the first room!

• 3 years later...

Stayed Friday June 1, 2012. The check in was easy. A young staff both courteous and professional. The went the extra mile to get info on the Jazz festival band sites for us. Really nice! Got the room I requested the day before. The hotel was clean and the beds were heavenly. The room was huge. We did pay a high price for the parking, but we were able to keep the car in the garage after check out till 11:00 pm that night as we stayed in town. My friends opted to park in the convention center overnight which is right beside the hotel. overnight parking - 5.00! The Westin has a perfect location right on Penn Ave between the point and the strip so walking anywhere is easy - no more than eight blocks either way. They have an outstanding seafood restaurant also. We had sushi there at 11:30pm. It was terrific. A great experience at the Westin and a terrific bargain through Priceline at 70.00!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]