Steakhouse suggestions???

Aprilmay
By Aprilmay,
in

My husband and I are going to NYC in June for a three-day getaway. This will be our second time in the city.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good steakhouse to have dinner at before we see Beauty and the Beast! We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, so a restaurant in close proximity to our hotel would be nice. We are looking to spend no more than about $50pp.

This trip is a little out of the ordinary for us, as we didn't bid on Priceline for our room. We won a sweepstakes drawing, so our airfare and accomodations are taken care of! Now I've just gotta find somewhere nice to eat!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

April

Here's a couple ideas for you. My first recommendation would be Keen's Steakhouse, 72 W 36th St, between 5th & 6th Ave. because it is a very old-school New York place with a lot of memorabilia and excellent steak to boot. But for its full fledged menu you will probably spend more than $50 a person....unless you dine in their pub room and order off the pub menu..... Here is an excerpt from Keen's pub menu from menupages.com. The prices may not be current so you would need to check them.

Keen's Pub Menu served Monday through Friday:

Lobster Cocktail 16.00

Filet Mignon Steak Tartare 18.00

Prime Rib Hash 12.00

Prime Rib of Beef, English Cut 21.50

Grilled Filet Mignon Skewers 17.50

Sliced Prime Steak Sandwich 21.00

Keen's Chicken Club Sandwich 10.50

Barbecued Lamb Sandwich 11.50

Hamburger with French Fries 13.50

Crisp Fried Calamari 9.25

Maryland Lump Crabcakes 13.50

Prime Sirloin Steak Salad 21.00

Three Leaf House Salad 7.50

Pub Caesar Salad 8.75

Fried Chicken Salad with Stilton and Endives 15.50

Keen's Cobb Salad with Shrimp, Steak and Smoked Chicken 18.50

Another possibility is Cite, 120 W 51st St, between 6th & 7th Ave

They serve a multi-course Prix Fixe Dinner for $52.50 (check on this price, it came from menupages.com and might not be current) available 5pm to 7pm, Monday through Saturday

Starter

Choice of: Bisque of Shrimp with Chives and Cream Sherry, Salad of Mesclun Greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette, Pan Fried Crab Cakes with Lemon Basil Aioli

Entrees

Choice of: Filet Mignon, Grilled Salmon Steak with Jumbo Asparagus and Red Wine Vinaigrette, Spit Roasted Cornish Game Hen with Roasted Shallots

Includes coffee and choice of dessert

Have an early dinner at Luger so you can say you've been.

I had a leftover steak from Delfrisco's the other day and it was excellent... but i don't know cost of a meal there.

Of the "known" steakhouses i'd stay away from Smith and Wolensky as i've had too many bad meals and experiences there to recommend it to anyone.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If I might suggest an alternative to steak, but a great meal and reasonable prices is the French cuisine restaurant Le Rivage It's at 340 W46 St, which is about 1.5 blocks from the Marriott Marquis, halfway between 8th and 9th Aves. They have prix fixe menus for lunch, dinner, and after 8 pm. The lunch and dinner menus offer 4 courses for $20 and $32 respectively, while the post 8 pm fare is $22 for a 3 course meal. It is a great place for a romantic meal particularly after 8. I always make it a point to stop there for a meal whenever I am in New York. In fact, I had planned to propose to my fiancee at Le Rivage, but circumstances changed that plan. It was where we went to celebrate our engagement, and the mood and food made it the perfect day.

I have never gone there during the dinner/pre-theater rush, but they've been around long that it should not be an issue for you to begin dinner at 6 and be at the theater before 8. The duck a l'orange is to die for!

Proud to be Canadian!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Go to Spark's on 46th, its right between 3rd and lex I believe. Awesome steak, It will be pricey, you will be pushing it at $50 a person, but definitely worth it!!!! Awesome decor, great service and the steaks are amazing. I've been to many in the city, probably a good 10 and that was my favorite thus far.

Peter Luger is the best steakhouse you will ever find. Try to see if you can go to the original one in Brooklyn, the oven is over a decade old and thats what makes the flavor so unique. Make sure you get the strip bacon, tomato with Moz cheese, cocktail shrimp and the famous portahouse nice and rare!!!!!!

Frankie

Luger's is the best, I went there a few times and once I went with a large group and someone in my party ordered the steak well done and almost got thrown out. It was great, the waiter would not allow them to order the steak that way. Truly an awesome joint, no menus, good stuff. Pricey but you can't be worried about that when you are having a a Luger steak!

I agree that Peter Luger's in Brooklyn has excellent steak. It serves porterhouse (a filet mignon and a sirloin on one bone, like a T Bone), and that's it. But what good steak it is. It is very difficult to get a reservation at a prime dining time, so I recommend going for lunch - same great steak. And bring cash, no credit cards allowed, only cash and Luger's in house charge.

And yes, they do have menues.

Here is another terrific steak option: Landmarc just opened a branch in the Time Warner building in Columbus Circle. Their steak meals come with fries, greens and your choice of steak sauce. Choose from Sirloin, Skirt, Filet, Hangar, Rib. I think Hangar is the best myself. It's very flavorful and only costs $26 for the whole meal. The wine list is amazing and very reasonably priced. A half bottle costs what one glass goes for in other steakhouses.

For more information go to this Web site. Just click on other restaurants to get the branch in the Time Warner building. (The one in Tribeca is good too just much smaller and not open as many hours).

landmarc-restaurant .com

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]