Metrocard

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Metrocard is NYC subway system's fare card, and is good on any NYC bus or subway. Fare is $2.00 per ride, but you are entitled to one free transfer from bus-to-bus, bus-to-subway, or subway-to-bus if it occurrs within 2 hours of your original paid fare.

Unlimited ride cards are also available... $7/day or $21$24/week. The day passes are good for the calendar day of the first swipe, until 3am the next calendar morning.

Cards are available at any subway station, as well as vending machines located at most stations, but the "Unlimited Day Pass" is only available through the vending machines.

Subway Map

Metro Card

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

from the PATH website:

7. What tickets do PATH's new turnstiles accept? Can I use my MetroCard in the new turnstiles?

PATH's new turnstiles accept the PATH QuickCard, the PATH SingleRide Ticket, and the Pay-Per-Ride (Regular) MetroCard ONLY. PATH turnstiles do not accept MTA Single Trip tickets or any Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

You cannot use the 7-day unlimited Metropass from the NYC MTA Subway on the PATH. You will have to pay additional fare to ride the PATH, as I did last summer. You can pay a single or multiple ride pass for use on the PATH system.

• 3 months later...

The airtrain is the train that takes you from JFK to the Jamaaica Center Subway stop. From there, you can get on the E train into manhattan or go anywhere else on the subway system. The cost for the airtrain is $5 each way. If you buy the month long unlimited ride metrocard ($40), then the airtrain is only $1. There is no discount for the weekly metrocard. You can buy your airtrain and metrocards at JFK.

There is also an airtrain that connects Newark airport to the New Jersey Transit train. This train is free. The new jersey transit train costs $12 and takes you from Newark airport (EWR) to New York Penn station in Manhattan.

If you buy the month long unlimited ride metrocard ($40), then the airtrain is only $1.
Just to clarify, the monthly subway MetroCard is currently $76. I think the quote above is refering to a special "Airtrain Unlimited Monthly Metrocard" which is $40 and advertised as "less than $1 per ride" assuming the average commuter (ie- worker) would work more than 20 days in a month, use the card for roundtrip travel, making it more than 40 uses per month (and thus less than $1 per ride).
Are there any restrictions on bring luggage onto the subway or the path?
There may be an official policy, but nothing that i have heard or seen be enforced. I'm sure anything "reasonable" is fine and it's mostly a "if you can carry it" policy. Keep in mind that many subway locations (as you'll be connecting to the subway from Airtrain) don't have have elevators, so you may be lugging your luggage up/down numerious flights of stairs.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

As long as you connect to another train in the same station (ie- don't leave the turnstiles) then the transfer is free. You an also transfer from Bus-->Subway or Subway-->Bus if the second leg is within 2hrs (plus a 16 minute grace period) from the time you commenced the first leg of your trip. (ie- note that this does NOT apply to Subway-->Subway... switching trains is only a free transfer if in the same station and you don't leave the station)

• 1 year later...

There are no family passes nor child fares, but up to 3 (i believe it's up to 3) children 44 inches tall and under can ride for free when accompanied by a fare paying adult.

Also, note that the fares have increased since originally posted above:

Unlited Passes:

1 day - $7.50

7 day - $25.00

14 day - $47.00

30 day - $81.00

And rates will also likely increase again within the next 6 months or so as the MTA (NYC's metro system) is claiming a big deficit and is proposing rate hikes (among some other cost saving measures)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]