How do i get from the Airport to Hotel?

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

LGA

Bus and Subway- cheapest way from LGA to NYC is via (this is not an either/or proposition, you must take the bus and then transfer to the subway). Take the Q33 bus to 74th St/Broadway (NOT the B'way you're thinking of... this one is in Queens) where you can then take the #7 Train into NYC. The 7 Train runs up/down 42nd St once in NYC. Fare is $1.50/bus and $1.50/train. However, if you buy a metrocard you get a free transfer from the bus to the subway, so the total fare is only $1.50. As well, there is an "unlimited" metrocard day pass available for $4 which gives you unlimited rides on any NYC bus or subway for a calendar day (with the calendar day ending at 3am the calendar day following its first use). If taking this trip from NYC to the LGA, be sure to get on the LOCAL #7 train, as the express doesn't stop at 74th St/Broadway. Trip time is about 1hr 15 minutes depending upon how long you wait for the bus and/or train.

Bus/Shuttle- there are various shuttle busses available into NYC. Many stop at the door of the passenger's hotels, others make 2 stops: one near Grand Central Station (42nd St and Park Ave) and one at NY Port Authority (42nd St and 8th Ave). One of these stops is likely to be close to a subway line that you can use to get to your hotel, or a taxi should be readily available nearby. Be forwarned that if you take the shuttles that stop at each passenger's hotels, you may be the last person dropped off, which makes for a VERY long and unwanted tour of NYC hotel lobbies. Trip time to each of the above stops is about 25 minutes, with time getting to your hotel added onto that. Typical cost is $12/one way.

Taxi- the most convenient and most expensive. Cost varies depending upon where in NYC you need to go, but $30 is a good guess, and definately the suggested mode of travel for 2 or more passengers with luggage. Trip time can vary widely depending upon traffic, but should take about 25 minutes. Tolls are the responsibility of the passenger.

JFK - here is a good link for General JFK Transportation Options

Subway- AirTrain ($5 fare), where you will get on the A train ($2 subway fare). The A train makes its way into Manhattan, entering downtown and works its way uptown towards the upper west side (E, J, and Z trains also available). If traveling from NYC to JFK, be sure to get on the A train that says Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park, NOT the one that says Lefferts Blvd, as the Lefferts Blvd. train does NOT stop at JFK. Fare $2.00, but be sure to read info above in the LGA area, as well as the other thread titled "Metrocard". Generally safe during the day, but not recommended late at night as the train does go through some 'rough' neighborhoods. Trip time is 1hr 45min+.

Bus/Shuttle- typical cost into NYC is $17/each way, just like LGA shuttles, some stop at each hotel or one of two stops: one near Grand Central Station (42nd St and Park Ave) and one at NY Port Authority (42nd St and 8th Ave). Time of trip varies WIDELY depending upon traffic, 45 minutes would be considered good, 2+ hours is possible (and would be considered bad).

Taxi- fixed rate of $45 + tolls and tip to anyplace in Manhattan. Again, travel time can vary widely!!

EWR - here is a good link for General EWR Transportation Options

MetroLink- NJ's answer to the subway. Metrolink takes you from EWR to Penn Station. Trip generally takes less than 1 hour and is great if you are arriving at a time when there is likely to be traffic heading throught the Lincoln Tunnel (which is unpredictable, but almost always backed-up midweek at 8:00am-10am and 4:30pm-6:30pm). Fare is about $12, and is probably the best and most economical way to get to NYC from EWR.

Bus- there is a large coach bus that travels from EWR to either Port Authority, Grand Central, or Penn Station; busses also travel from EWR to a Downtown Manhattan or Chinatown. Fare is $12/each way ($19/RT) and busses depart every 10-15 minutes (downtown/chinatown bus departs every 30 minutes). The midtown stops also offer a shuttle service to your hotel (for an extra $4 i THINK), but i wouldn't recommend this as you'll be stopping at other hotels along the way, and a taxi would be about the same amount, and the subway/bus even cheaper. Link to Bus Company: Bus To/From EWR

Bus to PATH- you can take the NJ Transit bus from EWR to Newark Penn Station, at which point you can take the PATH train from Newark Penn Station into Manhattan. NOT recommended after daylight hours... area around Newark Penn Station is not great. Here are the NJ Transit Bus Schedule links:

NJ TRANSIT BUS #62 (most frequent)

NJ TRANSIT BUS #67 (infrequent)

NJ TRANSIT BUS #40 (stop listed as 'under' Newark Penn Station and also goes to nearby prison :) )

NJ Transit Stipulates only 2 bags per person not to exceed 22" x 16" x 8"

Here is the connecting information for the PATH Train:

System Map

PATH TIMETABLE and SCHEDULE

Taxi- travel time can vary widely depending upon traffic... 45 minutes is a good guestimate, but can be as quick as 30 minutes or as long as 1 1/2+ hours! Rates are fixed depending upon destination. Base rate for one stop is $40 + $6 toll for mid-town (i think covers 23rd St - 59th St) westside, with an additional $5 charge to get to the east side. If not going to midtown, there are then additional $5 charges added on for each 'zone' outside of midtown. There is also a $1 charge for each oversized bag. Surprisingly, i think better rates are available through some local car service companies.

I can also recommend a local taxi company that will pick you up at the airport and take you to Hoboken or Jersey City for $25 (vs. $35 if you get a cab from the airport taxi line)... you can then had into Manhattan from the Hoboken or Jersey City PATH train stations.

MAC ARTHUR AIRPORT

(added in post below)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

Re: LGA / Bus & Subway / Metrocard

The 1-Day Fun Pass is now $7 according to the MTA website. You can buy these from Hudson News in the airport. There are several locations throughout LGA, but not all of them may have the card so you have to ask. When we were in Terminal C last time, we found the 1-day card at the large Hudson News outside of security.

BillJ

I've never done this route, but have read a lot about it on the web.

Door-to-door via taxi/car service is probably fastest, but will likely cost approximately $150!

I believe there are two common alternatives:

1) Hampton Jitney runs a service from a stop near the airport to a few stops in Manhattan. You need to take a taxi to the Jitney stop (i hear it's about $5) and then get on the Jitney to NYC ($25 one way, slight discounts available for roundrip and/or senior discounts). The Hampton Jitney can supply you with the exact details (including how to get from airport to Jitney location) and location stops:

Reservations are a must. (631)283-4600

2) Taxi/Car Service/Bus to the Ronkonkoma train staion via the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) which will take you to Penn Station in NYC (33rd St and 7th Ave). Not sure how much the fare to the train station to the airport will be, but the train is about $6.50 off-peak (and proably ~$10/peak). Ronkonkoma to NYC is about 90 minutes, some trains are direct, some require a transfer, so check what works best with your schedule.

MacArthur Airport Transportation Page

Ronkonkoma Train Schedule into NYC (from LIRR)

LIRR Homepage

Hampton Jitney (follow links and select Islip Airport Connection when prompted "What location would you like to depart from")

Few points i've picked up along the way:

-traffic can be unbearable at all times, but especially at rush hour

-LIRR is a commuter railroad and not designed for very large suitcases, so may be difficult during peak travel times

-train service is reliable, but not extremely frequent, so if possible try to coordinate your flight times with train departure (taking into account luggage pick-up and travel time to Ronkonkoma train station)

Given all the above choices, i would tend to favor the train, assuming i wasn't traveling with any extremely large, heavy, and/or oversized suitcases.

The websites above are great resources, i'd certainly check them out and make phone calls.

Any add'l questions (or if you learn something that should be added to the above info) please post.

Welcome to NYC! (a little premature)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 years later...

Last time I was in New York, I booked a Supershuttle from the airport to the hotel. (New York Virgin Travelling alone) It was really easy, cost $17 each way booked online. (supershuttle.com)Am doing it again on my next trip, in a couple of weeks when I will be visiting with my mum.

I rang the company to pick me up on my return date, and they turned up at exactly the time they said, no hassle.

Couldnt be bothered with the bus/subway/luggage thing, and to be honest, it was so easy, I cant think why anyone would bother with taxi's etc. (For the airport trip anyway)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]