Hotwire Hotel: 3* Williamsburg (Colonial-Busch Gardens) Holiday Inn

grram1
By grram1,
in

I paid $75/night before fees/taxes. Hotwire claimed a 53% savings over alleged $160 retail. After getting this Holiday Inn Williamsburg, VA. I went to holiday-inn.com and they had the same room for $84.95... after all taxes and fees I only save $6.70/night (only 7% savings). Granted this was a restricted rate, but even the unrestricted rate was only $105.95 (or 29% savings). I would not have been upset if this were not advertised as a "Best Value" and "53% savings off of $160 retail". I understand that Hotwire still maintained its lowest price claim... but this was some major false advertising (should not be allowed!!!). :) This hotel looks like it will suite us fine, I'm just upset at the way it was advertised.

Holiday Inn Williamsburg-Dwntn (Busch Gardens) (Best Value)

814 Capitol Landing Rd.

Williamsburg, Virginia 23185

(757) 229-0200

Check-in date: Sun, Jul 30, 2006

Check-out date: Thu, Aug 3, 2006

2 Adults, 2 Children

1 room(s) $75.00 per night x 4 nights

Subtotal:$300.00

Taxes/Fees: $47

Total: $347

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Laundry

I sent a similar e-mail to Hotwire as what I stated in my post. I had checked the hotwire lists before purchasing. Both this property and the Four Points by Sheraton were identified at 3* and have the same amenities. Given the price difference (and Hotwire savings claim) I was expecting the Four Points (although the Four Points didn't retail for $160 either... it did retail for much closer to that figure than the Holiday Inn), or possibly a new, not yet identified, hotel. I've made many Hotwire purchases over the last 5 years; sometimes the savings are great and sometimes meager... BUT this is the first time I'd ever had them exaggerate the savings so much. Like I said, I wouldn't have been upset but for their stated claim (usually they just have the low price guarantee and make no specific $$ or % claim on a particular property). I'm fine with the Holiday Inn, just not Hotwire's claim of 53% savings. Thanks for the tips.

Just wanted to follow up. Hotwire responded quickly to my complaint. They requested that I fax them my Hotwire itinerary along with the prices I got from holiday-inn.com (which I did). Their explanation was that the savings quoted was off of the "average 3* hotel in the area" (my research still shows this definitely is an exaggerated claim, even with the new definition). In any case, only 2 days after starting communications with Hotwire, they did credit my account with $25 in "HotDollars" (credits for future purchases) :) . Honestly this is much more than I expected. When I wrote them I even explained that I wasn't unhappy with the hotel, or even the price, just the exaggerated savings claim. I wasn't expecting anything, just wanted to make sure they knew how I felt.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]